Drabblevangelism

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Drabblevangelism

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:51 am

"Invocation By Drabble"

Brethren, Harkin Unto Me and Hear Me.

We gather together weekly, some daily, yay some constantly via the sacred forum to share in the Word of the Drabble.

I say to Ye, is it not selfish to horde the bounty of Strange that is given us burbling forth in abundance from the Giant Squid low in the depths?

Go Ye Forth and Educate the great unwashed masses. Let them bathe in the soothing fount that are the utterances of the High Priest Sherman.

Proclaim to all that Strange is The Norm and let all come to know the DrabbleCast Prophecies.

My point being, hey, how about a "Refer-A-Friend" link.

Maybe even award "Wiggly" points for people that draw others into the clutches of the drabblecast fold?

Or something like that?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:21 pm

I've evangelized a couple of people. I've found that it's impossible to get people to listen unless they already listen to some podcast. People who don't listen to podcasts are like "Podcast? What's a podcast?" and I'm like "It's like radio and TV on the computer; you subscribe and then it automatically downloads whenever there's a new episode," and then they're like "that's nice; oh look, a blue car."
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 pm

I've found what mr tweedy said to be mostly true. I've gotten people into DC by first taking them to itunes store and asking "ok, what's one of your hobbies?" Then pull up tons of 'casts for them. Also, it's hard to make an argument for sitting somewhere and JUST listening to something, what with Michael Bey's explosions as typical "entertainment" these days. Gotta suggest ways to integrate podcast listening into some routine/system they have goin-- daily walk, commute etc.
Awesome idea Father Killing Time, will lok into this. Wigglypoints is a fun idea-- twitfic wins and things could also get them, and exchange for schwag and stuff.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Sure, sure I agree.

Thus the need for drabllevangelical education of the masses.

It might be tough at times, but shucks, Saul of Tarsus had to duck a few stones lobbed his way, and that didn't slow HIM down. He ended up hitting the #1 all time best-seller list.

You are right. People hear "podcast" and they think, "Hey I don't have an iPod, guess that let's me out."

But if they get a nice email from a friend with a personalized message and a link to the Drabblecast page where they can just click and listen, there's an opportunity to let them know there's something out there they aren't aware of.

Shucks, I remamber way way way back when I heard the first episode of the US broadcast of the BBC radio production of Hitchhiker's guide. I evangalized the crap outta that and introduced a large number of people who otherwise would have never listened to something so "old-fashioned" as a radio play.

It's all in the packaging.

For that matter, I've recently introduced drabblecast to some friends who are avid iPodders, but (and I know this hard to believe) have NEVER heard of the drabblecast.

Those represent the low-hanging fruit.

I'm already getting a bunch of my old high-school buddies I email loop with to come by and check it all out.

It would just be a little easier with a "refer-a-friend" link that would send a nice drabbly invitation to them with a ready link to the web-site. Maybe even a link that just automatically directs to the last drabblecast episode.

Then there are the other easy picking. SF/Fantasy genre fans who also have, "GASP" never heard of the drabblecast. I'm not just blowing smoke here, but you have to know that this little baby you've been birthing has the heart/soul/ and humorous profile of some mutant crossbreed of Monty Python/Douglas Adams/& The Daily Show/Colbert Report. Everyone here knows that. People just need to hear it to know that's true.

If ya wanna get viral, ya gotta think like a virus.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 am

I've found what mr tweedy said to be mostly true. I've gotten people into DC by first taking them to itunes store and asking "ok, what's one of your hobbies?" Then pull up tons of 'casts for them. Also, it's hard to make an argument for sitting somewhere and JUST listening to something, what with Michael Bey's explosions as typical "entertainment" these days. Gotta suggest ways to integrate podcast listening into some routine/system they have goin-- daily walk, commute etc.
Awesome idea Father Killing Time, will lok into this. Wigglypoints is a fun idea-- twitfic wins and things could also get them, and exchange for schwag and stuff.
"Give us all some Jelly"

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 am

Norm is right. It's difficult to reach the unchurched. It is, on the other hand, quite easy to convert people from other denominations. :D I mention the DC on my podcast every chance I get, and I've had several listeners thank me for turning them on to it. Every time another podcaster meantions the DC or Norm reads for another podcast or DC listeners talk about the DC on another podcast's forums, that gets a few more listeners.

Of course, if you can get people who were not previous plugged in at all, that's gold for everyone. That's a new listener with lots of free ear-time, and if they like the DC, they'll try other podcasts as well.

I do think people become saturated at some point. There's only X amount of time that you're exercising or cleaning or commuting and need something to listen to. You accumulate a certain number of podcasts, and that's all you have time for. It doesn't matter how good the others are; your plate is full. I think we're seeing that saturation in the first wave of podcast listeners. But there are lots and lots of people buying iPhones right now who have no clue that there's a world of free audio content at their fingertips to make their lives and commutes more interesting. Those new iPhone owners are prime targets.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:33 am

Oh and, Rou, I see are a fellow Portlander. Keeping Portland weird... lol
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 am

alhilton wrote:Oh and, Rou, I see are a fellow Portlander. Keeping Portland weird... lol
No one has ever accused me of not pulling my weight in that regard.

:D

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblevangelism

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:31 am

I took it upon myself to send the following email to "The Rick Emerson Show." a local pop-culture morning program (not your typical zany Whiz-Bang, yuck yuck show, these guys got LOTS of love for zombies...)
What do you think of everyone sending a similiar email to whoever fills that role in their community.

Dear Rick, et al.

Being the guru's of pop-culture and all things geek-centric, I think you might find this terribly amusing.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=593X1004&u ... MXk5Y7Gv6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Norm Sherman's podcast, The Drabblecast, is an amazingly hilarious science-fiction web magazine with production values that can only be described as 100 percent professional. He's an amazing talent that will also now be co-hosting EscapePod, the premiere source for audio science fiction on the internet. EP has around 25000 listeners and currently is second only to Analog magazine as a source of modern science fiction short stories.

You should check out http://www.drabblecast.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false and give a listen to some of the recent episodes.

I especially recommend listening to episode 124 which has an hysterical Drabblenews story about corpse-fueled robots.

http://web.me.com/normsherman/Site/Podc ... Emrys.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Episode 123, features the story "Toast" which is also very very amusing.

He'd be a great guy to interview. It would be wonderful content for your show and a nice boost for Norm who really deserves the recognition.

Norm's a talented songwriter/singer. If you like Jonathan Coulton, you'll LOVE Norm Sherman

Also, it'd be a nice boost to me. I have two short stories (drabbles) that are going to be featured on upcoming episodes of The Drabblecast.
Sincerely

Steven D. Lidster

Portland, OR (Sellwood)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:38 am

P.S., I made the reference/comparison to Jon Coulton because I know Rick knows who he is, since he interviewed him on his show. So I already know he's hip to this whole new interweb thingymajiggy.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:22 pm

I think the weakness in your marketing model is that it relies too heavily on the voluntary aspects of the program. Think about it. When it came to health care, did politicians wait around for someone to walk in and say, "Give me X, Y, and Z?" Not at all. They said "You're going to get A, B, and C, you're going to give us $10 Trillion for it, and shut up, you Nazi, or you get the purely optional Death Panel consultation.

No, admit it, folks, Drabblecast has to be mandatory and universal. Instead of making frivolous movies about evil AI or writing speculative nonsense in Scientific American, nothing more is required than a simple bot virus, an autosubscribe worm. And while you're at it, program the autosubscribe with an auto Paypal monthly donation.

What would you prefer, a world of $1000 toilet seats or a world of $1000 DC tee-shirts? Think, if we could just force Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-Il and Hillary Clinton to listen to Everybody's Got Nipples, or if Mike Huckabee called for the guitar tabs to Jesus Clones. My point is that our fundamental problem is that if people don't know what's good for them, it is a noble imperative to make them eat their spinach. What makes more sense for the government to save: Chrysler or Santa Claus? Talk about a no-brainer!

If they want people to be healthier, how is nationalizing medicine going to do that? What we need to nationalize is Norm Sherman! Get those GeekSpeak guys working on it. Those guys are really smart.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Zounds, I think we've found the Minister of Autopropaganda that will be so necessesary after the DC revolution to keep everything running smoothly and autonomously on track.

The only flaw I see, and it's a minor one, is the scope of your plan.

We don't need to set the DC autosubscribe virus loose on the internet.

For the sake of reality itself we need to bore into the sub-quantum plane and transmit universally at that level, where silly things like effect following cause need not be worried about.

I'm just trying to think outside the universal box here and run with what I have to admit is one very brilliant vision, Strawman.

(btw: Jesus Clone, JESUS CLONES? Have I missed something. is there a link?)

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Norm's CD
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/normsherman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm

strawman wrote:Norm's CD
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/normsherman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Ah, while we're on the subject of evangelism:

Norm's CD really is awesome! Go buy! Enjoy!
Buy one for in your car, so you can sing while waiting in line with all the other cars.
Buy another one to listen to at home (bathroom has great sound effects)
Buy a few to give away to friends and sing together about nipples, Jesus clones, Asian babies and fetuses.
And while you're at it, buy the mp3 files so you can put the songs on your mp3 player and listen to Norm's CD anywhere!!!!

Ah, I love spreading the love.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Everybody now-

"There's a fetus in your kitchen"
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.