Wipe the sweat off my dome...

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
myke_deschain

Wipe the sweat off my dome...

Post by myke_deschain » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 am

...and spit the phlegm on the street...

That's right... The first thing i say is a Nas quote. Good luck trying to peg me on that first impression...

But, alas, i had to say something to clear my throat and I'm rather sick at the moment and the song popped into mind... Also I apologize for posting this here but there seemed no better place for an obscure, rambling, hydrocodone hello to this wonderful forum community.

And aside from hellos i would like to say that I was completely swept off my feet by this podcast... I originally heard Norm on Escapepod a few weeks ago and for some reason the catchy phrase drabble stuck in my mind and i was compelled to give it a listen... First off i have to commend the entire team that works on this show. The production goes above and beyond what is expected of a weekly fiction podcast and the narrations are unlike anything I've encountered so far in any audio fiction... Also i really have to thank Norm for hosting this show; really, i just cant cant imagine what it would be like with anyone else... Lastly i would like to thank whoever picks the content for this show. Its like the guilty nerd pleasure that i just couldn't quite get anywhere else. The stories are diverse and just weird enough so that my girlfriend will never hear them out of fear that she will pack up and leave me.

About a month ago i fell in love with all the good people over at escape artists inc., and after i realized that the people i was stalking made a weekly podcast i gave it a listen and soon feel in love with it as well... Though now, and please Mr. Eley If this ever gets back to you don't take it to heart, I believe i have found a new lover and her name is drabblecast.

strawman

Re: Wipe the sweat off my dome...

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:03 am

Myke,
Welcome to the strange.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say "Ditch the girlfriend."
It's not just the simple truth that you don't want to be torn between two lovers. It's just that any relationship which cannot pass the drabble test is doomed to cause you unspeakable agony.
Unless she has gills.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:56 pm

Yay! Welcome to the awesome weirdness that's called drabblecast, Myke!

I agree with strawman. I just always do.

Talking about stalking Norm: Has anyone seen Norm's naked pumpkin pics?
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks all for your welcome! glad to be here...
strawman wrote: I think I speak for everyone here when I say "Ditch the girlfriend."
It's not just the simple truth that you don't want to be torn between two lovers. It's just that any relationship which cannot pass the drabble test is doomed to cause you unspeakable agony.
Unless she has gills.
heh put it this way my asimov would be enough for her to be weirded out... so the stories on drabble would be seen as bat shit crazy...

but in all truth she is truly wonderful and i slip her nerd pills everyday so she is slowly transforming... as for the gills im working on it...

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Dude, you do not want your gf to know that you are weird. Forget it, the truth will out.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:35 am

sheesh!!

i appreciate the words of supportive advice... but it was mostly a joke; she loves my weirdness... I'm just working on getting her into nerdy thangs... by next year I'm dead set on getting her to go to a comic-con

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:23 am

And weird girls are fun!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:29 am

Don't shy away from your inner nerd. If she ever gives you trouble, remind her that the nerdiest man on the planet also happens to be one of the richest... :-)

Oh ya, and welcome to the DC forums. You arrive during an amazing burst of new blood which is making it better and better.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:28 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Oh ya, and welcome to the DC forums. You arrive during an amazing burst of new blood which is making it better and better.
So the Zombie apocolypse has started? You've got red on you.

Howdy Myke, welcome to the fine little slice of addiction we call the Drabblecast. I recommend popping over to http://gardenstreet.org/drabblecastarchive/ and checking out the archives. Specifically, there are some Top 10 lists there.
The best introduction to the Drabblecast for your girlfriend is episode 25, The Worm Within. She'll thank you, really.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 am

*giggle, snicker, snort, guffaw, blows milk through nose*
Yeah, Myke, what he said.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Howdy Myke, welcome to the fine little slice of addiction we call the Drabblecast. I recommend popping over to http://gardenstreet.org/drabblecastarchive/ and checking out the archives. Specifically, there are some Top 10 lists there.
The best introduction to the Drabblecast for your girlfriend is episode 25, The Worm Within. She'll thank you, really.
Hey thanks a bunch for that link!... Though i feel slightly guilty about it seeing as how I'm pretty sure that the drabblecast team are trying to sell the first couple of seasons...

And wowzers thanks for the suggestion, that one hit home seeing as how I've just been getting over a bad infection in the back of my throat. I mean it looked like there were creatures growing back there and my neck looked like someone cut a golf ball in half and shoved it under the skin. I really liked this story for other reasons too... It was a good mix of comedy and a gross kinda horror. I was convinced that he was gonna look back down into the toilet and the worm would be gone or the head didn't come out with the body.

I also assume that there must have been no "drabble B-sides" at the time b/c i also listened to the "year disco came back" and that was quite mild by comparison....

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 am

myke_deschain wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Howdy Myke, welcome to the fine little slice of addiction we call the Drabblecast. I recommend popping over to http://gardenstreet.org/drabblecastarchive/ and checking out the archives. Specifically, there are some Top 10 lists there.
Hey thanks a bunch for that link!... Though i feel slightly guilty about it seeing as how I'm pretty sure that the drabblecast team are trying to sell the first couple of seasons...
No worries, there. Saint Tom has long since been beatified by the Drabblecast Trinity and is fully empowered to spread the strange eucharist to any seeking it.

(And if you still feel guilty, that can easily be assuaged by a visit to http://www.drabblecast.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false and a quick click of the Donate button... :-)

(Norm shouldn't have to be the only one to point that out every week...)

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:(And if you still feel guilty, that can easily be assuaged by a visit to http://www.drabblecast.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false and a quick click of the Donate button... :-)

(Norm shouldn't have to be the only one to point that out every week...)

Yea im thinking i prolly will do just that as soon as i can find a time to deposit some money in my debit account... Its funny too because this is the first listener supported program I've actually wanted to donate. In contrary to NPR who i really dont care if they are reduced to turning tricks to stay afloat.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:10 am

myke_deschain wrote:Hey thanks a bunch for that link!... Though i feel slightly guilty about it seeing as how I'm pretty sure that the drabblecast team are trying to sell the first couple of seasons...
:-) Actually Norm asked me to put this up. If you go to drabblecast.org and click on Drabblecast Archive, it takes you there. He got tired of the archive work and I picked it up. I helped get the CD's ready, they're a nice way to spend a few bucks and get some cool artwork on the archive CD's done by our very own StalinSays (of megabeast fame.)

But first and foremost listen and enjoy, and spread the word.
And wowzers thanks for the suggestion, that one hit home seeing as how I've just been getting over a bad infection in the back of my throat. I mean it looked like there were creatures growing back there and my neck looked like someone cut a golf ball in half and shoved it under the skin. I really liked this story for other reasons too... It was a good mix of comedy and a gross kinda horror. I was convinced that he was gonna look back down into the toilet and the worm would be gone or the head didn't come out with the body.

I also assume that there must have been no "drabble B-sides" at the time b/c i also listened to the "year disco came back" and that was quite mild by comparison....
Hee hee... Good times.

B-sides didn't start until recently, now that they've gone all namby-pamby on us. :-)

Next up, try Ep 40- Marbles. Classic.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Keep spreading the word, Tom! You are doing great :)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Saint Tom for Drabble-Pope.

(What color of smoke should we look for coming from the chimney of the Vatican???)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 pm

The problem is all the smoke also coming from the rest of the building.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Next up, try Ep 40- Marbles. Classic.
ok man....

I listened and it was... Kinda just ok....

yea she was a greedy little eye-stealing rascal, but i kinda saw it coming... though it was well written.. just didn't do too much for me..

Mind you I only say this in a comparatively to the rest of the episodes I've heard so far (just caught up yay!!)... so its only "ok" when i compare it to other Dc awesomeness...

Though.... if you care to keep Drabbleclass in session by all means mr. baker; I'm ready for my next assignment..

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 am

I think our little boy has graduated. *snif*

Since Halloween is coming, how about some Kevin Anderson. Ep 23, Momentum, and my favorite, Ep 36, Pumpkinseeds.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:04 am

Pumpkin Seeds FTW!
Advertise in this space!