Story ideas thread

What works for Drabblecast? What doesn't? New ideas? Speak up!
groomporter

Story ideas thread

Post by groomporter » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:55 am

How about a thread for ideas that might inspire other people?

Years ago I had an idea for a short story that I've never been able to fill out. It involved a guy who finds a bottle on a beach with a unicorn inside. When he releases it, rather than being a thing of purity, it swears like a sailor and asks why he didn't notice the bottle sooner...
Soylent Polka Dot is clowns.

Richmazzer

Re: Story ideas thread

Post by Richmazzer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 am

I still think it'd be cool if there were some tehtix spin-off stories from the drabblecast story "The Beekepers." I remember there was some talk of this when they story came out a year or two ago and the author was cool with the idea of other people running with it. I'm not really a writer but there were so many cool things in that story I feel like you could go in a lot of directions. Like other alien races being exploited. Or could zero in on a particular character on Earth trying to deal with life under the bugs, maybe one of the people mentioned who figures out about the dreams.

Also, I know they were just joking, but on a recent MegaBeast podcast Norm said something about a story idea... aliens abducting dinosaurs (before humans were around to experiment on). Jurassic Park disaster set in a Fire in the Sky-type UFO. Silly idea but cool enough to where I'd read the story for sure!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:02 am

I'm planning (seriously) to use the Tehtix as villains in a RPG video game that I want to make someday. There will be two playable characters and depending on which one you play, the primary antagonists will either be the Ghosts (humans who have become immortal by uploading their minds into computers) or the Tehtix (humans who act as soldiers for non-sentient parasites in order to survive). There will be a mention in the credits of which Drabblecast episode inspired each villain.

Not that I have dibs or anything. ;)

I'm trying to think of an idea for a zero-budget movie. Any ideas? I have a good camera, but that's IT.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:56 pm

I seriously think this movie ought to take place in Atlanta next Labor Day weekend, incorporating the natural otherworldliness of Dragon-Con as background.

It could be done as a kind of nature documentary, about the strange fauna that evolve from (insert some logical explanation here).
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Conor Choadsworth reporting?
Advertise in this space!

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:05 pm

groomporter wrote:How about a thread for ideas that might inspire other people?

Years ago I had an idea for a short story that I've never been able to fill out. It involved a guy who finds a bottle on a beach with a unicorn inside. When he releases it, rather than being a thing of purity, it swears like a sailor and asks why he didn't notice the bottle sooner...
Your married, aren't you?
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:18 pm

eric_marsh wrote:

Haha. I think what Eric is saying here is not to be afraid to take these ideas and run with them yourself. If your muse is nagging at you, don't just pimp it out on the street corner for other writers to steal (I mean use.)

Listen and get it down on paper. Will the early ones be flawed and make you cringe at times? Yes, of course, but then again, so will the later ones, even if you end up hitting the best-seller list. :-)

Listen to your muse, and start taking dictation from it.

In the long run, it's a very satisfying endeavour.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:26 pm

No one could compete with ROU for the affections of the woman he would marry. He was not the first to profess his love for her. But although others had said, "I love you", only ROU had said, "IIII love you." And she did believe, in her heart of hearts, that Hillary had a point. It takes a village.

Spoiler:

groomporter

Post by groomporter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:06 pm

eric_marsh wrote:

Yup and I have my own small business...
Soylent Polka Dot is clowns.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Eric, my wife would like to know what you're hinting at there.

Spoiler:

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:47 pm

strawman wrote:Eric, my wife would like to know what you're hinting at there.
Oh, nothing. Nothing at all....
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"