Sackoon vs. Sanitee vs. Night Owl vs. Chronocerous

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Man, having a family with four computers and six people on one is an enormous help.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:03 am

grrrrr :twisted:
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:29 am

This is that tanuki statue from Okami that I mentioned. Complete with oversized balls and a bottle o' sake.

Sake is actually a really big part of Okami. You drink it to get special powers, give it to monsters to get them drunk, the people you meet drink it and a damsel-in-distress is a sake brewer. Kind of funny and disturbing at the same time.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:15 am

I've maxed my voting- who's in the lead?
"Give us all some Jelly"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:02 am

ugh...well, we tried...well played night owl fans
"Give us all some Jelly"

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:06 am

Yeah. I was impressed by how well sackoon did.

I had to call in a lot of favors, and I owe one of my friends two shiny quarters, but we managed to make it through the night.

*cheers*

Anyway, I wonder what powers night owl will take from sackoon? I hope it's unlimited firepower

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:13 am

delfedd wrote:Yeah. I was impressed by how well sackoon did.

I had to call in a lot of favors, and I owe one of my friends two shiny quarters, but we managed to make it through the night.

*cheers*

Anyway, I wonder what powers night owl will take from sackoon? I hope it's unlimited firepower
You're kidding me!
delfedd gets to play god, is that it?
No offense, but this sort of crap ruins it. I'm not participating in the rest of this. What's the point?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 am

Whoa... sorry about that. I though that sort of thing was allowed.

I'll be sure not to do that next time... I was prepared though, and when I logged on at 11 it was neck and neck.

And just so you know it wasn't all me. I convinced people to vote, and to vote for night owl.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:56 pm

delfedd wrote:Whoa... sorry about that. I though that sort of thing was allowed.

I'll be sure not to do that next time... I was prepared though, and when I logged on at 11 it was neck and neck.

And just so you know it wasn't all me. I convinced people to vote, and to vote for night owl.
I'm just being a sore loser. What ya did is perfectly within the rules that Bo laid out.

It's just that it's clear that I can't be as large of an influence as you. That equals to your vote counting more than mine.

But at the end of it all, it's really not worth my time and energy. After seeing two rounds being snatched away at the last minute by frenzied voting, it makes me see that the debates are pointless. If that's the case, why bother?

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Oh, i see...

I feel like a senator.

(I hate senators)

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:29 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:the debates are pointless. If that's the case, why bother?
I do believe the word "pointless" was used in all the promos. :wink:

"The most pointless, awesome contest ever"? Yes, it's totally pointless, but it's also awesome. The debate is its own point, because it's fun.

Any books of tanuki lore you'd recommend? I'm curious about the little beasties.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Yah, it's more that delfed's "team" beat our team. I also started at about 11 on a massive sackoon campaign, having used my two possible votes already. I was begging friends on IM and getting them to beg their friends.

I gotta say, that's half the fun too- convincing people you barely talk to anymore to go to some site and vote for a giant mechanized racoon with big balls, and then getting them so fired up they try to make it viral and beg their friends. It worked, we must have pumped out a good 20- 30 votes for Sackoon in an hour, but it was neck and neck, and in the end, just didn't work out.

Next round I'm not leaving it to the last couple hours though- I think all that scrambling has created an army of people who actually think this is interesting. Problem is, they will probably have opinions now .. :-(
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Hee hee..
As I said, I'm just being a sore loser.
I didn't leave it to the last minute. Every couple of days I pulled in 6 votes or so form the office here, plus daily 2-3 votes from home.

I was expecting there to be more correlation between the debates and the votes. But, that's my problem, not yours.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:15 pm

Ahh, Adam told me he was switching to Sackoon too after seeing Chrono and Sanitee didn't have a chance- so those steady 6 votes a day are pretty sweet in building a strong end contender.

It's just like a real election, the issues don't ever matter (unfortunately). In this case Hillary "Night Owl" Clinton ended up winning... let the bone chilling screaches begin. :roll:
"Give us all some Jelly"

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:27 pm

See norm, you made me feel better. I went to bed last night feeling like a cheating bastard.

Anyway, I think that for me it was much more of a "anyone but Bush" situation. I just can't have a robot with giant balls fighting in the finals.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote: Any books of tanuki lore you'd recommend? I'm curious about the little beasties.
There's a great documentary called Pom Poko. I highly recommend it, it's quite engaging for a documentary.

Beyond that, I did all my research on the net.

BTW, a great character to play in a role-playing campaign.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Wiki turns up an anime movie called Pom Poko, but not a documentary. (A Studio Ghibli movie, eh? That's a recommendation in itself.)

"It's worth noting to Western viewers that prominent testicles are an integral part of the Tanuki folklore, and they are shown and referred to throughout the movie, and also used frequently in their shapeshifting."

Hmm... I'm guessing this isn't something Mrs. Tweedy would be willing to sit through.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Wiki turns up an anime movie called Pom Poko, but not a documentary. (A Studio Ghibli movie, eh? That's a recommendation in itself.)

"It's worth noting to Western viewers that prominent testicles are an integral part of the Tanuki folklore, and they are shown and referred to throughout the movie, and also used frequently in their shapeshifting."

Hmm... I'm guessing this isn't something Mrs. Tweedy would be willing to sit through.
Yes, Studio Ghibli produces brilliant documentaries. I liked their one about how to float a castle.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:12 pm

My daughter is obsessed with the one about how to fly on a broom. At least three times I day she shouts "Kiki go! Kiki go!" while straddling the compact broom we got her. (We got it so she could pretend to sweep, but pretending to fly on it has definitely increase its milage as a toy.)

And when she wakes up from her naps, its usual to hear her shout. "Hey lady! Stop! You forgot your pacifier!"

Those of who don't know what movie I'm talking about, shame on you. Shame shame shame.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:11 pm

Hee hee... Great movie. It's very simple, and very enjoyable. The hallmark of Miyazaki is the totally believable worlds. You don't ever stop and think, "Hey, flying on a broom isn't totally normal!"

And don't forget about her cat.