Scraptor vs. Armourdillo vs. Sharkitraz vs. Pandemic

StalinSays
Beast-Master

the stamp of anger

Post by StalinSays » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 pm

I was thinking to complete the visual of a prison shark he needed prison 'tats.' From there came the murderer's tear drop, and the tail and shoulder bands. My girlfriend suggested the lower back tattoo, as a joke, and I found it too funny to pass up. A pity it has sealed the poor critter's fate as this rounds bitch.

How about psychotic gender confusion issues? Lots to work with there. It sure made Buffalo Bill from the Silence of the Lambs creepy as hell.

Insert series of prison jokes here.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:19 pm

The tats made me vote for Sharkitraz. I couldn't help it, they are that powerful...

I love barcode tattoo! When you put a barcode tat on your skin, you have a great, wicked sense of humor, IMO. So Sharkitraz has my vote because he's awesome, has great muscles and tats and is in the possession of a wicked sense of humor.

Also, I love swimming in the air (I constantly do that in my dreams), so any animal that can swim in concrete (never done that in my dreams, I'll have to try it!) has my vote. Because we connect. On so many levels.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:45 pm

With regards to the discussion on the megabeast podcast, I think you were giving too much credit to the "laser". (Sorry, after that movie, I canna say "laser" without the quotes.)

As was stated during the reformulation stage, the laser (ok, I just did) would be about as powerful as a bite. It's gunna take a laser a heckuva lot bigger laser than Scraptor can carry to burn through rock easily, like when Armourdillo is curled up. It should be able burn flesh easily, but it's going to need a lot of time on target to pierce heavy armor.

That's why I'm starting to learn towards Armourdillo. If there were a pack of Raptors, Armourdillo would be toast. But one on one?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:24 pm

that's right Tom...come to the dark side... :twisted:
"Give us all some Jelly"

Joe Ego

Best song subject

Post by Joe Ego » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Armourdillo would make for the best heroic ballad (modern or medieval) of any of the competitors.

Plus, he's a 'dillo.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:19 pm

With a post like that, Joe Ego, I think we need either your rendition of said ballad, or a bbardle commisioned for it.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:21 am

In Texas they call him, "Possum on the half shell."
At my house, my dog calls him, "Look-at-that-little-dipshit-digging-holes-all over-my-yard." And all over the roads, they seem intent on demonstrating to the world that they are forever losing the bet... they can NOT bear the weight of a motor vehicle on their back. It's just the beer talking.
They are ugly. They are stupid. If Paris Hilton were a redneck, she'd carry one in her purse.
My dog is rooting for Pandemic to hurl his cookie chunks all over this barf-worthy opponent. And being from Georgia, my dog gets two votes.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

wow

Post by StalinSays » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 am

strawman wrote:In Texas they call him, "Possum on the half shell."
At my house, my dog calls him, "Look-at-that-little-dipshit-digging-holes-all over-my-yard." And all over the roads, they seem intent on demonstrating to the world that they are forever losing the bet... they can NOT bear the weight of a motor vehicle on their back. It's just the beer talking.
They are ugly. They are stupid. If Paris Hilton were a redneck, she'd carry one in her purse.
My dog is rooting for Pandemic to hurl his cookie chunks all over this barf-worthy opponent. And being from Georgia, my dog gets two votes.
Phenomenal summation, every word. I guess my point of origin in upstate New York made 'dillos an exotic and unjustly interesting piece of fauna. "Possum on the half shell" brought it to crystal clarity.

Someone likes them though: they earned their spot via the prelims, just like everyone else. If it makes you feel better strawman, Pandemic is now the first in to triple digits.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:20 am

Surprisingly close race.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:41 am

I've been voting for Scraptor and Armordillo, whoever's behind. I figure it's a toss-up between those two, so I'll use my votes to keep them even and let fate decide.
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:42 pm

Hmm... this is so much harder than previous weeks. I'm with jonathoncg, though. I think Sharkitraz and Pandemic would account for each other early on, leaving Armordillo and Scraptor to fight it out.

Now, Armordillo is slow but can take a lot of punishment, even from the lazer. Scraptor's best bet is to take the long view, keeping his distance and slowly wearing Armordillo down. The effect of Pandemic's putrescent corpse would also take it's toll, and Armordillo would eventually expire, leaving the relatively immune Scraptor to win.

However, I think it might be in Scraptor's nature to take the fight to the enemy. He only has one long range weapon--all the others require him to get close. And there's his problem---he's built to attack, not defend. If Armordillo gets just one hit in things become much more even. The biomass risks infection, the control centre can be broken, and I'm not sure how well his mechanical systems could heal. A hydraulic leak is a leak, and oil doesn't clot.

I think the fight would go like this: Scraptor takes a few pot shots to get Armordillo angry. Armodillo is able to shield his good eye and takes a few hits---the laser doesn't really hurt his armour. Scraptor, who is a little frustrated by the lack of progress, jumps in to use his close range weapons. Ordinarily Armadillo would pick up his axe and play baseball with the airborn mech, but his depth perception is affected by the loss of his eye. So he simply braces himself and makes sure Scraptor lands on his sword. Scraptor comes off second best, and Armordillo is able to take advantage of the situation and get another couple of blows in, by which time it is all over.

However...

There is one other scenario that might come into play. Scraptor is the only competitor who might be immune to Pandemic, and is the only one who can attack at a distance. He would be wise to protect Pandemic, and wait till everyone else finally dies. Then he can kill Pandemic at his own leisure and from a safe distance.

Of course, this would only be effective if he wasn't attacked immediately the fight started. The longer he's able to stay out of direct combat, though, the sicker his main opponents will be and the better chance he'll have to win.

It all comes down to whether or not Scraptor is willing to fight a war of attrition. If he is, he'll win. If he's not, Armordillo will take it. I just can't see how the other two would win.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Okay Pandemic lovers, help me understand how Pandemic will win.

I tried looking up the fastest killing infection. All I could come up with was Ebola Zaire. The shortest incubation period was two days, then another 6 of infection before death. So given that (as Bo stated) the slate of injuries is wiped clean after round ends, the battle would need to last 8 days for Pandemic to win via infection. So therefore it seems like the infection route is irrelevant for this combat?

Pandemic's quick kill is via spewing corrosive liquid directly on an opponent. So Pandemic needs to get close enough to spew on each opponent.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:27 pm

It certainly works in Pandemic's favor that we have an extended round going, with an additional week for his microbes to work their destruction on the battlefield.
But maybe I'm looking at it wrong and need a referee ruling. Do our gladiators fight as we discuss in real time, in this case almost 3 weeks? Or is the battle only for a day, and therefore infectious agents are no weapon at all?

Spoiler:

StalinSays
Beast-Master

on sick pandas

Post by StalinSays » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:16 pm

"His blood is a despicable pollutant, destined to put an attacker who makes direct contact out of action within minutes."

Just being within the confines of the battlefield means sniffles (Pandemic's fluid flow coats and pollutes like a maddening, invisible slug trail). His vomit is precarious, his cough is debilitating, his blood is like lethal injection. And yeah, he can can hurk up a bile n' blood bomb for the killing stroke, if a piteous opponent has fallen pray to heavy fever, slipped in his barf, or is just distracted. He's not beyond a big sloppy bear hug, but hell, he'd probably never need one.

When thinking of the badness inside of Pandemic, don't constrain your imagination to real world examples. We're talking the next evolution of microbes: biological nano-nukes. The deadliest bugs in the world have been holding a conference to discuss best practices for as long as this being has been being. Promising upstart ebola picked up some tips from the brain eating virus, and both were peppered with the wisdom of dynamic vet 'the common cold.'

They've been incubating friends, all they need is somewhere to go.

---

I'm with consensus - cyborgs will handle best when confronting this kind of threat. Half of Scraptor should be just ducky throughout a one on one conflict with Pandemic. Nothing is easy, the other side might slump in to something like a stroke, impeded movement. Regardless, Pandemic can't finish the fight without bringing his weight down on that control center. He doesn't have 'computer viruses' anywhere in his reserve, best to hope for is gunking up the motors.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 pm

This is a round that could really benefit from a flamethrower.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:26 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:This is a round that could really benefit from a flamethrower.
Hmm. Squid Marx versus Pandemic could be very interesting---first hit wins!

confusedgreen

aaahhh

Post by confusedgreen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Aaaah! The Panda is losing! I need more browsers,
Christine

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:53 pm

News Flash!
Federal narcotics agents enforcing curfew in New Orleans during Hurricane Gustav discovered an undercover laboratory in which up to 1,000 rats were found in cages pressing buttons which had been rigged to deliver a small dose of cocaine. The rats reportedly no longer pressed buttons which delivered food or female rats. The manager of the laboratory claimed to be performing a study on the extent and power of addictive agents. But then it was discovered that even when no narcotics were delivered, the rats continued to press the buttons, and that the manager had connected the buttons to an internet voting site, something called the mega-beast death match. All the rats were actually voting for a fictitious character called Armordillo. The lab manager is now being water-boarded in an attempt to learn his screen name. Current 'subject of interest' has recently spent extended time in China, where computer hacking and Olympic-magnitude rule-bending are national pastimes.
Further reports as they develop...

Spoiler:

cammoblammo

Re: aaahhh

Post by cammoblammo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:43 am

confusedgreen wrote:Aaaah! The Panda is losing! I need more browsers,
Well, if you're running Firefox you can install the User Agent Switcher extensions. Lots of browsers at the click of a button!

In theory, of course. I doubt it would actually work. And that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Okay, seriously now. Pandemic is in a close second place and pulling away from Scraptor, in third. How is this possible? Obviously, Pandemic is an influential contender, but how do so many people think he can win? How is he going to defeat Armourdillo and Scraptor and Sharkitraz with nothing more than his body fluids?

I think Pandemic is a Bob-omb. His most powerful attack is suicidal: He's got to be within cleaving range to deliver his vomit, and he's got to be actually cleaved to deliver his blood. He can take some dudes down and influence the outcome, but he can't win.

So, let's hear it all you Pandemic voters, keeping the Scrap man down. What you're scenario?
Advertise in this space!