Waiting Games

normsherman
Site Admin

Waiting Games

Post by normsherman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 am

While Bo finishes off updates to the super animal voting site and artwork, I figured it'd keep some of the controversy and general momentum alive to bring an internal editor / artist discussion out to you the enthusiasts.

Outside of Hellaphant, we haven't nailed down the official names of our finalists. We figured you guys might have input and preferences from monikers we've generated.

Hybrid Scraptor
choices
Scraptaurus Rex
Scraptor Rex
Evisceraptor

Hybrid Night Owl
choices
The Witching Owl
Strix (Bo insists this is a Roman night demon or something)
Lucifoul
Beelzebird
Blight Owl

Hybrid Squid Marx (now an anarchist)
choices
Squid Vicious
Tentakill

Let us know your favs from these picks (or if the pun god visits you, provide something to us).
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

sausage links

Post by StalinSays » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:09 am

I got relevant, clarifying Wikipedia links - because we all love those

Sid Vicious
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Vicious

Strix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix (click mythology)

Beelzebub
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebub

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:52 pm

So each critter is a hodge-podge with traits from the critters it defeated in a given round, right?
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

StalinSays
Beast-Master

stuff

Post by StalinSays » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 pm

jonathancg wrote:So each critter is a hodge-podge with traits from the critters it defeated in a given round, right?
Yeh. The round winner forms the base, but gains the powers of all 4. They're super convoluted and intense. Quick summations:

(Telephant 2.0 or 'Hellaphant') Diamond claws. Burrows, rolls in ball, flys, teleports. Chainsaw mounted on trunk, covered in spikes, fires stunning spores. Massive bulk, soft underbelly.

(Squid Marx 2.0) Hot and cold blood, able to fire napalm gel and liquid nitrogen. Numerous powerful clawed limbs. Insectile jaws and squid larvae payload stinger. Returns as a zombie if felled. Incredibly aggressive and relentless. Now an anarchist.

(Night Owl 2.0) Can see in dimensions, manipulate shadow, use psychic powers to become puppet master or create illusions. Strong in physical damage, has horns. Incredibly evil. Vomits lead and fires guns from turrets. Jets on back. Schizophrenia and dissociative personality disorder, with 3 distinct personalities.

(Scraptor 2.0) Poisonous virus filled blood, makes for killing bite. Vomits. Lasers from eyes. Thermal views. Numerous, grinding, replaceable teeth. Partially covered in armor. Shark tale and abrasive, scaly skin. Tremendous claws, with specialized cutters on toes. Hydraulic strength, computer core, cold logic, very fast with staggering jumping distance.

pluckylump

Post by pluckylump » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Scraptor Rex

The Witching Owl

Squid Vicious

suxshadows

Post by suxshadows » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:50 am

Evisceraptor

Blight Owl

Squid Vicious
easy now, fuzzy little man-peach...

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:18 am

Eviscarpator

Beelzebird

Tentakill
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 am

I have been thinking it would be grand to have some Hi-Q cards printed up with our beloved gladiators on the, with their batting averages and ERA's and other descriptions and stats on the reverse, and maybe a sheet of bubble gum in the package. Question is, is the artwork finalized? Here's what I have so far:

Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 am

strawman wrote:I have been thinking it would be grand to have some Hi-Q cards printed up with our beloved gladiators on them, with their batting averages and ERA's and other descriptions and stats on the reverse, and maybe a sheet of bubble gum in the package. Question is, is the artwork finalized? Here's what I have so far:

Also, can we get a repost of the descriptions of all these bad boys?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:24 pm

I don't know if you guys were looking for a name for round 4, but "Extinction Level Event" might be cool.

Evisceraptor

Blight Owl

I also had a name occur to me for the squid. The scientific name for the Giant Squid is Architeuthis. So hows' this? Anarchiteuthis :)
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:43 pm

jonathancg wrote:
I also had a name occur to me for the squid. The scientific name for the Giant Squid is Architeuthis. So hows' this? Anarchiteuthis :)
Absolutely freakin brilliant.
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

misc

Post by StalinSays » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:28 pm

jonathancg wrote:I don't know if you guys were looking for a name for round 4, but "Extinction Level Event" might be cool.
Didn't have a sub-name for the Finals... do' now. Bad ass.
jonathancg wrote:So hows' this? Anarchiteuthis :)
Hmmm. I like it. My worry is, too hard to say. It might sound silly, but I think competitors with difficult names suffer a voter bias. Look at poor Chronocerous. Look at the last 3 winners (each with the animal name in the title, Night Owl, Squid Marx Scraptor). More laborious to verbalize, less chatter on the podcast.

All that said, I do like it. How about this as an addition to the dossier:
"Squid Vicious, 'Anarchiteuthis' to his friends (who are all dead)."
strawman wrote:Also, can we get a repost of the descriptions of all these bad boys?
Request two for a rounds page. Not online anywhere right now, will try and knock it out this weekend
strawman wrote:Question is, is the artwork finalized?
Nossuh, most artwork is not. In the rush of the competition, I haven't really given a final color treatment to the majority beasts. Round -1 guys from 07 (Telephant, Hippopotopain, Deathmole, Crablooey, and Hellaphant) are final. Round 3 guys are close. When I produce the finalists, they should be, then I will work retroactively from there (in prep for any merchandise and what have you).

When it appears on my deviant art page (http://bokaier.deviantart.com/), that is when I sign off. With knowledge of your noble intent, I will assure you final notification.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Scraptaurus Rex

Beelzebird

Squid Vicious

Hrmmm. Disagreement abounds. Well, I'll pick final name by forum tally this weekend (so no one ends up happy, hurray!)

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Squid Vicious (although 'Anarchiteuthis' rocks!)

Lucifoul (Beelzibird's good, but Lucifoul has a lot packed into it)

Scraptaurus Rex

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Waiting Games

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:20 am

Evisceraptor

Beelzebird

Are good.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.