MB3 - R1 - Skirmish (Discussion)

anadrea

Re: Round I: Skirmish (Discussion)

Post by anadrea » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I just wanted to drop in and say how fantastically awesome the site looks this year! It was so easy to flip through the beasts, but not nearly as easy to rank them :)

For what it's worth, I like the odds of Slugfest and Unicorpse because of their longevity, but I think intelligence will win out over endurance, which is why I'm keeping an eye on Valesquez and Chimpanfreak. Oh, and the spider thing gave me the willies, so it was my #1 this time around.

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:27 pm

I agree completely. Bo, the site is just over-the-top incredible. You really outdid yourself!
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Okay, so yesterday I voted based on my subjective ranking of who was the most dangerous competitor. Today, I voted based on originality and "wow" factor. This weekend, I believe I will vote on raw capability with the stats included.

My early analysis is I'm still right in my assumption about Slugfest being the most dangerous competitor in this competition. If anything, the stats just reinforce it.

I'm reminded of the scene in ID4 when the alien shields come down. The F-15 and F-18 fighters are letting the city destroyer have it, and the effect is actually quite realistic: "Sir, we're just not causing enough damage."

That's what fighting Slugfest would be like. Only there's no drunk that finds the weak spot. Oh, and every time ole' sluggy latches on to someone, he just gets bigger and meaner.

I don't think anyone can cause enough damage to slugfest and completely take him out. He's four freakin' tons and the size of a moving truck. You shoot him? The bullets sink in to endless layers of gelatinous tissue. Burn him? So what? Hit him with lightning...and again, so what? Beat on him? It's like hitting the world's largest water mattress with a sledge hammer. He doesn't even have eyes to get blinded or gouged out. No limbs to disable. Just tons of damage-absorbing mass and a mouth that could be branded by Black & Decker. That mouth is a food processor larger than many of the combatants.

Think of the Blob. Slow, right? Mindless, right? But is there really a worse horror you could think of?

His biggest competition comes from bruisers that present no easy target for him, or could stand off and do large amounts of damage, chipping him away. This means the highly-underrated Terrorpin and the massive Shockodile are his surest competition. Velasquez can do some damage with well-thrown grenades, but not enough, IMHO. Lionic, Solar Bear, and Beelzebounce can definitely damage him, but not enough.

Interesting scenario: Slugfest swallows Unicorpse. Digests. Unicorpse reforms in Slugfest's tract. Slugfest digests. Again and again it goes. That's not a moon...it's a space station.
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:58 pm

zZzacha wrote:I love any competition where I can vote from the bath tub.
Phenopath wrote:the pics look great!
anadrea wrote:fantastically awesome the site looks this year!
jonathancg wrote:over-the-top incredible.
Thanks all for the kind words. JCD (like JVD, but more writing less being from Belgium and doing kick boxing) had some sick house origins for these guys, glad I could finally get them up for the world to see. Also my buddy Ruddy helped with the PHP, I was visuals guy, and the little Napoleon telling him how to make it work. And thanks to Norm and the editors and you guys in the prelude topic for ideas! Between concept and art and site and community you get the whole Mega-Beast Gestalt. And speaking of community, on to endless chatter.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Slugfest is a top contender for certain, but we have to remember what beat the blob - smarts. Velasquez maxes out the intelligence stat, and it'll show in how he preforms. (Ignoring yipping dog) he is the smallest of the combatants and he provides a foil for the largest. He isn't revealing what is in those pouches - could be handfuls of salt.

The regeneration factor is big in Slugfest as well as Unicorpse. Even if Solar Bear and Velasquez blast him to pieces, if he rolls over one of the other felled competitors, he's instantly on the comeback track. As to what happens if he eats Unicorpse, I can't honestly say. This is like the larvae eating Skullverine and becoming zombies from last year's competition. It can't be a complete stalemate, so my thought would be that after enough time inside Slugfest digestive track, acids would dissolve Unicorpse's horn and ultimately destroy him. That's not to say he couldn't tear his way out first. It's left to the imagination.

Terrorpin is underrated, I agree. There isn't anyone in this competition who has no chance at all. Ok wait, there is one...
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

deflective

Post by deflective » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:49 pm

booo! the dog's best advantage is his utter ignorability. as long as he keeps out of the way and doesn't attract attention... ok, it's dead.

slugfest & gobblegone's biggest weakness is poison to their uncontrollable appetite. frogture is pretty much a guaranteed mutual death to either of them. and with two intelligent beasts out there it's a good chance they will be maneuvered to meet.

overall, a huge power drop this year compared to the last two.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:56 pm

I like the look of Shockodile, anybody who has read 'The Enormous Crocodile' will know what a nasty piece of work a monster croc is (although susceptible to being hurled into the sun). Gobblegone intrigues me, but I do not know how effective the camouflage would be on the field of battle.

I am glad that Slugfest does not have the concealed tentacles in his original description, since I suspect that they were really concealed testicles. Iiee.

The only reason that I would like to see yipping dog through to the next round is to see it get kicked down the stairs, even then - not so much.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Just under a week left of voting. Beasts presently making the cut:

Unicorpse
Beelzebounce
Octdolphig
Chimpanfreak
Lionic
Velasquez
Maimcock
Gargantula
Thugg

If your fav isn't on that list - get ta' votin' foo.'

Also, I'm working the 'bubble gum cards' style and stats retroactively in to veteran beasts. So when I repost the archive of Mega-Beasts.com take a look, especially if you like playing the numbers. People can postulate who'd win rejected season 2 star Fear'it vs. Death Mole vs. Killary Skinsmen vs. Lucifoul.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Cor, voting is tighter than a gnatt's ass.

Is that because everybody voting is hitting the randomise button like me?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 pm

Yikes, Yipping Dog isn't doing so well!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 pm

What WoW Boss does the Unicorpse drop off of?

Is it BoP or BoE?

That bad boy would sell for uber g0ldZ on the AH and big-buCK$ on eBay.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 am

yah, I'm surprised how close it's been too for this long. Really people, BEELZEBOUNCE? For God's sake. Who is responsible for this?!
It breaks my heart that Slugfest and Terrorpin aren't making the cut as of now. I'm mostly fine with the top 9 other than that, although I think Venus Die Trap and Splatterpus should be considered, if nothing just for marketability.

The time is drawing nigh people! In some ways this is the biggest round as far as overall impact. I can already smell the carnage (mixed with kahlua and vodka.)
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:43 am

I think Mr. Tweedy is pushing for Beelzebounce, behind the scenes.

Ok, somebody give me an argument on how Beelzebounce could win against Velasquez. As I see it, Velasquez raises his AK-47 and levels the bouncing beast. A swam of FLIES? I don't get how that would really hurt the penguin. In fact, he might find them tasty.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 am

Actually, I've only voted once thus far (in contrast to my 4 votes for Crush Limbsaw, RIP).

I think Velasquez is the clear winner. I mean, he's a penguin with grenades. Need we say more? But I don't think Beelzebounce is a pushover: He's got a portal to hell in his belly. Such a portal could absorb any amount of high explosive with no damage done to the beast.

Slugfest, I think, is toast. He might be slimy, but he's dumb as a rock. Only the very stupidest beasts would have anything to feat from him (not that they would fear, being very stupid), and Velasquez would just toss a grenade in his maw and walk away while Slugfest explodes in slow motion behind him. The only beast I can see Slugfest killing is Venus Die Trap.

I make a motion that there are multiple yipping dogs and that one should be included in each match, as both a distraction and a sort of health powerup to anyone who eats them.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:57 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I think Mr. Tweedy is pushing for Beelzebounce, behind the scenes.

Ok, somebody give me an argument on how Beelzebounce could win against Velasquez. As I see it, Velasquez raises his AK-47 and levels the bouncing beast. A swam of FLIES? I don't get how that would really hurt the penguin. In fact, he might find them tasty.
Yah, Velasquez changes up all sorts of scenarios. Adam and I debated Velasquez and other constituents tonight for like an hour. HE'S STILL A PENGUIN! Has anyone ever seen how slow and silly they are? Don't get me wrong, he could totally take out half the board. But there's another half that could afford quite the ass whipin.

Slugfest is nothing but endurance, and that could mean everything in one of these battles, depending on the matchup. We'll see.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:12 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:The only beast I can see Slugfest killing is Venus Die Trap.
Indeed, that result would never be in doubt.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:16 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I think Mr. Tweedy is pushing for Beelzebounce, behind the scenes.
Are you implying that ROU is really Tweedy's pro-Beelzebounce sock puppet?

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Okay, so I've been checking this on a regular basis, and voting every day. I want to join in expressing my shock and awe(tm) along with Norm over the absence of Terrorpin and Slugfest from the cut so far.

Velasquez is just above yipping dog in terms of endurance. Seriously. Someone catches him and he's dead, pretty much instantly. Even a random glancing shot from shockodile or lionic, and he's toast. Someone asked what Beelzebounce's swarm of flies can do. Have you ever tried to throw a hand grenade in a swarm of flies? I'd imagine they'd be crawling in his ears, his eyes, up his nose, down his beak -- possibly other places. There goes any accuracy and the chance of a mis-tossed grenade goes up dramatically.

I've already outlined why Slugfest is one of the most dreaded beasties here. But let's not overlook Terrorpin. He can become basically invincible at will, and can reform to be a rocket-powered slicing boulder. Just focus on that phrase: rocket-powered slicing boulder. I've heard when Terrorpin fled Wake, he punched right through the hull of an Aegis-class destroyer. Of course, those are just rumors, and may or may not be canon.

By the way, I don't see a demon-possessed 'roo with the hottest place in forever in his belly being afraid of a mortal's nades.

I don't know who keeps voting up Unicorpse. So I'll chalk that up to a rogue group of goths. But as far as Sluggy and Terrorpin being screwballed -- In the words of a certain bad mamma-jamma: "Whoever you are, I will find you. And I will kill you."*

*Killing to consist of juvenile comments about you here in the forums. So take that.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Phenopath wrote:
Are you implying that ROU is really Tweedy's pro-Beelzebounce sock puppet?
"Reply via Twabble"

Righty: "I am most certainly not a sock puppet!"

Lefty: "Don't listen to him, You know you can never trust a sock puppet.”
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Terrorpin does seem to be a capable foe, but I'm questioning his range. Stat-wise, his range is nothing. How does becoming a projectile factor into this?

With regards to Velasquez being just a penguin, that's a valid point. But it's kinda hard to take that point on face value, 'cause just a penguin couldn't hold or fire an AK-47, let alone put on his grenade belt.

I also think a lot of people are voting with their emotions, not just their intellect. I mean, Velasquez is cute. So is hellaphant. I think that's why Unicorpse is getting a lot of votes.