Prelude

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:22 am

How about something based off of the duck-billed platypus? The thing is already weird as hell, we just need to make it bigger, and deadlier.

And maybe make it a cyborg.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:59 am

I'm about to frikkin die of anticipation waiting for this to kick off. :-)

I'm blown away at how awesome all of these suggestions are, btw. This season is gonna rock.
"Give us all some Jelly"

drabblebabbler

Post by drabblebabbler » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 am

As a child I would have recurring dreams of flesh large flesh eating rabbits and my greatest fear was aliens... what about a combo?
or fleas, they always freaked me out, imagine them on a larger scale.

I can't wait to debate impossible realities in my mind through out the day!

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am

drabblebabbler wrote:As a child I would have recurring dreams of flesh large flesh eating rabbits and my greatest fear was aliens...
This is natural for a baby carrot.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Wonko wrote:How about something based off of the duck-billed platypus? The thing is already weird as hell, we just need to make it bigger, and deadlier.
You will enjoy 'Splatterpus' who was born of the very first brainstorm session for MB3 in a chat window with Norm (I believe he had the critter, I had the pun). Weird how we are all on the same page. AKA

AHHH GET OUT MY HEAD GET OUT OF MY HEAD GET OUT OF MY HEAD wonko IS CONTROLLING ME!!!1

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:22 pm

StalinSays wrote:
Wonko wrote:How about something based off of the duck-billed platypus? The thing is already weird as hell, we just need to make it bigger, and deadlier.
You will enjoy 'Splatterpus' who was born of the very first brainstorm session for MB3 in a chat window with Norm (I believe he had the critter, I had the pun). Weird how we are all on the same page. AKA

AHHH GET OUT MY HEAD GET OUT OF MY HEAD GET OUT OF MY HEAD wonko IS CONTROLLING ME!!!1
SMTA (Strange minds think alike...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:01 am

Okay, how about the "Kodiak Moment".

It's a giant bear that can freeze your soul into any piece of paper, and then maul it to shreds.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 am

Wonko wrote:Okay, how about the "Kodiak Moment".

It's a giant bear that can freeze your soul into any piece of paper, and then maul it to shreds.
Boy are you dating yourself.

Kids today file 35mm film in the same dustbin of history as 8-track tapes, Betamax machines and GOP hegemony.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 am

Unfortunately, one of the things on that list has failed to evolve into a superior form. :(

I think a better power for Kodiak Moment would be for him to be able to render objets two-dimensional for brief periods. Offensive and defensive.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:47 am

(political disclaimer)

Lest anyone think my previous comment show's anti-GOP bias (well, of course it does) to be fair I'm perfectly willing to point out that in 4 or 8 years the right-wing of the big political vulture in the sky will be able to blame it all on the democrats (a strategy that worked very well in reverse in this election cycle.)

My own personal opinion of our two party system is that they have evolved to become two horns on the same devil (yes, that's my metaphor, pretty catchy, amirite?)

I still think Kodiak Moment is a bit outdated though.

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:37 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:

Kids today file 35mm film in the same dustbin of history as 8-track tapes, Betamax machines and GOP hegemony.
1. You're just jealous of my large collection of laserdiscs.
2. Does it matter if it's dated? IT'S A GIANT BEAR!
3. I like to think it's a good pun too.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:22 am

Wonko wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:

1. You're just jealous of my large collection of laserdiscs.
2. Does it matter if it's dated? IT'S A GIANT BEAR!
3. I like to think it's a good pun too.
Ok, you had me at Giant Bear.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm

It's a great pun a made me smile.
Kodak makes digital cameras, so I don't see what the problem is. Maybe he pixelates his opponent?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 pm

OK, OK, no more shooting at the white flag.

I admit to just wanting to put "8-track tapes and GOP hegemony" in the same sentence.

I guess my "grumpy old man" was showing.

Maybe I can redeem myself by suggesting a defensive ability for Kodiak Moment.

Namely his ability to morph, Collosus-style, into his shiny Kodiakchromium armor.

That'd make him pretty formidable, unless one his opponents were somehow able to take it away from him.

(uh oh, I guess I'm the one dating myself now. Do kids today even know who Paul Simon is?)

StalinSays
Beast-Master

I like it

Post by StalinSays » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Kodak is at the heart of Rochester, my old college town. They got a leaky heart valve and are fading fast, taking most of the area with them. The pithy summation is that they passed on the chance to be the champion of digital photography, ignored the technology too long, and now their late game surge trying to adopt it is less business strategy, more last gasp.

Nothing about that though hurts the bear's viability in my eyes. It actually adds a neat edge to his trajectory that he's dying. Sort of like Terry Fox running across Canada months before losing his fight with cancer or Warren Zevon releasing his best album from his death bed. But with more blood spray.

All that said, we already have a bear, so idunno, I think mister Kodiak lost his seat on the pain train. I want you to give me all that pun craft and all that creativity because:

StalinSays
Beast-Master

One Spot Left

Post by StalinSays » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:37 pm

WE HAVE ONE SPOT LEFT!

So I submitted the final doc so that Jonathancg could work his writer man magic and crank out the origins. The editors also took a look, and one of the beasts is getting the boot. So that means we have a solitary spot in skirmish left.

I've gone through all forums submissions, snatched up a few, left others. With powers / animal type cross over, you should consider everything submitted to this point as reviewed and off the table. So new concepts, not riffs and evolutions, only.

Please folks, gimme one more critter. Write him up, give him a silly name. Take a stab at some powers. Just be aware this creature cannot be:

(Beast spoiler warning)
  • carnivorous plant
  • lion
  • unicorn
  • bear
  • platypus
  • alligator
  • shark
  • turtle
  • kangaroo
  • octopus
  • dolphin
  • pig
  • dog
  • frog
  • slug
  • penguin
  • monkey/ape
  • spider
  • chicken
  • lobster
  • mantis
In addition no redundant legacy beasts, which include:
  • crab
  • hippopotamus
  • elephant
  • mole
  • yeti
  • hornet
  • wolverine
  • squid
  • tanuki
  • manatee
  • owl
  • rhinoceros
  • raptor
  • armadillo
  • shark
  • panda
whooo. Yeh, plenty of animals left. I just can't think of any at the moment. Uh... fleas? Tapeworms? Iguanas? Bison?

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Hmm... I notice a conspicuous lack of jellyfish.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 pm

That's a good one, Tweedy. Creepy beasties those Jellyfish, I don't see what Spongebob finds so endearing about them.

Then again, also from the aquatic (and dark realms of the netherworld), the Lovecraftian Goose Barnacle Log seems ready-made, needing literally no enhancement.

Hard to beat a creature that can turn its opponents into filthy gibbering lunatic priests.

Wild-card elimination round matchup required, perhaps?

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Hive mind (aka Stingsalot aka B-bad aka The Sisterhood)

A radioactive swarm of bees (each the size of a Chihuahua with a stinger to match), their half-life exceeds their opponents life expectancy. Don't tell these crazy sisters that suicide is for losers because they will sting your face off. They fight for the hive and die for the hive. This monster is the greatest apian menace since Michael Caine got his ass kicked (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078350/).

Also (scraping the barrel)... Shitstorm the dung beatle (sounds like a failed X-man).

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:43 pm

Phenopath wrote:Hive mind (aka Stingsalot aka B-bad aka The Sisterhood)

A radioactive swarm of bees (each the size of a Chihuahua with a stinger to match), their half-life exceeds their opponents life expectancy. Don't tell these crazy sisters that suicide is for losers because they will sting your face off. They fight for the hive and die for the hive. This monster is the greatest apian menace since Michael Caine got his ass kicked (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078350/).

Also (scraping the barrel)... Shitstorm the dung beatle (sounds like a failed X-man).
Damn you Pheno, Hive-mind rocks. (My parent have Chihuahua's and even without your superb augmentation they are scary critters...)

by the way, regarding Shitstorm the dung beatle(sp) your british is showing. I believe it's spelled beetle. :) (Of couse it's possible that the secret identity of this failed x-man is non other than Pete Best.)