Found the other 6%
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

Damp_Obsession

Re: Story Nominations!

Postby Damp_Obsession » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe
Thursday, January 7, 2010

Drabblecast 141- On the Destruction of Copenhagen by the War Machines of the Merfolk by Peter M. Ball
Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Drabblecast 138- Kingdom Come by Kay Kenyon
Thursday, November 19, 2009

Drabblecast 129- Annabelle's Alphabet by Tim Prat
Thursday, September 10, 2009

Drabblecast 112- The Guardian by Michael Anthony
Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ok, I think I've finally got it. I was stuck on my top eight for a while before I could muster up the nerve to delete Kingdom Come. It's a sad, sad day.

But not really, because I absolutely LOVED these five.

Talia

Postby Talia » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Drabblecast 139- Let Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs by Leonard Richardson
Drabblecast 113- Charlie the Purple Giraffe Was Acting Strange by David D. Levine
Bsides 8- The Elves Hate You by Matthew Bey
Drabblecast 122- The Fallen and the Muse of the Street by Tim Pratt
Drabblecast 115- Clown Eggs by Jay Lake

Cutting this down to five was painfully difficult :p

I might have to relisten to babel probe, I recall liking it but not reacting to it particularly strongly.

It kills me not having space to have the trifecta that had 'Dinosaur' in it on the list, but I couldnt justify at as the other two stories, while good, paled in comparison.

That's the only DC story that's actually made me tear up.

eric_marsh

Postby eric_marsh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

Storm Comes a Calling
Teddy Bears and Tea Parties
The Great Old Pumpkin
Support Group for the Supernaturally Experienced
Clown Eggs
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

HPHovercraft

Postby HPHovercraft » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:36 pm

OK, here's my favourites for the year.

1. Teddy Bears and Tea Parties -- most awesome story of the year; twisted Alice themes ftw
2. The Golden Age of Fire Escapes -- hard to explain, loved the psycho retro art nouveau feel
3. Clown Eggs -- seriously, there's nothing scarier than a clown
4. Trifecta VII, in particular "In Order to Conserve" -- because of one single line: "Mimes were still unpopular." Cracks me up every time. :-)
5. Toast -- mmmmmm, toast.

HPHovercraft

Postby HPHovercraft » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:39 pm

strawman wrote:I personally don't understand all the love for Dinos.

The little girl would feed the dinosaurs to Him for breakfast, if you ask me.

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Let me clarify that I think Dinosaur the drabble was my hands-down favorite drabble of all time. But the story Awesome Dinosaurs is the one I can't figure making more lists than Babel Probe. This is starting to remind me of the Academy Awards.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:25 pm

strawman wrote:Let me clarify that I think Dinosaur the drabble was my hands-down favorite drabble of all time. But the story Awesome Dinosaurs is the one I can't figure making more lists than Babel Probe. This is starting to remind me of the Academy Awards.

Awesome Dinosaurs was hysterical. It had lots of rich details. It gave you stuff to think about in our society and about human nature without being preachy. It had dinosaurs. With guns. On bikes.

Babel Probe was a downer, it didn't really stick with me (I had to go re-read the description) and the whole premise of it bothers me.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Talia

Postby Talia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 pm

The humor and outrageousness of Awesome Dinosaurs just really spoke to me. The absurdity was JUST my cup of tea and I was grinning like an idiot the entire time I was listening.

Something that makes me that happy instantly wins an eternal place in my heart.:)

Plus all the stuff that Moonowl said. :)

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Drabblecast 146- Teddy Bears and Tea Parties by S. Boyd Taylor
Drabblecast 139- Let Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs by Leonard Richardson
Drabblecast 109- Babel Probe by David D. Levine
Drabblecast 129- Annabelle's Alphabet by Tim Pratt
Drabblecast 131- Storm Comes A' Callin’ by Jeremiah Tolbert

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Talia wrote:Plus all the stuff that Moonowl said. :)

OH! The dialog was so great! I started to laugh-cry int he scene when he ate that guy.

My issues with Babel Probe kinda border on "stuff that will guarantee a fight on a message board", so I'm being a bit vague. It pushed bad buttons on me. The imagery was excellent, and I understand why people dig it just on that.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 pm

moonowl wrote:Awesome Dinosaurs was hysterical. It had lots of rich details. It gave you stuff to think about in our society and about human nature without being preachy. It had dinosaurs. With guns. On bikes.

Babel Probe was a downer, it didn't really stick with me (I had to go re-read the description) and the whole premise (of the god/demon thing) bothers me.

Talia wrote:The humor and outrageousness of Awesome Dinosaurs just really spoke to me. The absurdity was JUST my cup of tea and I was grinning like an idiot the entire time I was listening.

Something that makes me that happy instantly wins an eternal place in my heart.:)

Plus all the stuff that Moonowl said. :)

moonowl wrote:
Talia wrote:Plus all the stuff that Moonowl said. :)

OH! The dialog was so great! I started to laugh-cry int he scene when he ate that guy.

My issues with Babel Probe kinda border on "stuff that will guarantee a fight on a message board", so I'm being a bit vague. It pushed bad buttons on me. The imagery was excellent, and I understand why people dig it just on that.

Did any of you vote for PAINGUIN? Democracy sucks.
Mo Udall said it best: "The voters have spoken, the bastards."

Spoiler:

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:49 pm

LOL.

I think Babel Probe is getting more votes then PAINGUIN. It's tied with Dinos, so stop yer crying. :)

From my favorites I'm shocked more people haven't listed Storm Comes A' Callin’

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am

Hmm, Drabblecast Story Deathmatch 2009.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

swamp

Postby swamp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 am

moonowl wrote:My issues with Babel Probe kinda border on "stuff that will guarantee a fight on a message board", so I'm being a bit vague. It pushed bad buttons on me. The imagery was excellent, and I understand why people dig it just on that.

Everybody's tastes and "buttons" are different.

Babel Probe blew me away, and probably hit all of the right buttons for me. Ususally, when you picture a time travel story with biblical ties, you imagine something to do with a certain groundbreaking couple or a manger/cross. They can be very tedius. This one featured a self-ware quantum instument in an Old Testament setting taking on a population-enslaving demon. The resultant impact of that resolution was just spectaclular. And David Levine really nailed the POV.

However, in many ways, my enjoyment of the story is kind of a contrdiction for me. I typically advocate stories that are respectful to God/religion (even in scifi), and I dislike the oft-ocurring negative light in which religious topics are shown. But sometimes I just have to sit back and enjoy a really cool story that is superbly written. I think that's all Levine was trying to do. I don't see this as a hit peice on religious sensitivities, but a very cool story that included a broad scope and introduced sweeping implications.

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:58 am

swamp wrote: I don't see this as a hit peice on religious sensitivities,

It was no threat to me there. I am personally insensitive to religions. ;) I was hoping the story took a different direction then it did when the probe discovered the cool communication system.

Lets just leave it with this example: I prefer it when modern cultures can give ancient ones some credit without some hokum being inserted. Like, I hate the stories the Pyramids had to be built with alien influences, because no way could the Egyptians be advanced enough to do it without the benefit of bulldozers and slack union workers. Makes my teeth gnash.

feste451

Postby feste451 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:23 am

Drabblecast 146- Teddy Bears and Tea Parties by S. Boyd Taylor
Drabblecast 136- The Great Old Pumpkin by John Aegard
Drabblecast 105- Doubleheader 2: The Blueberry Pie or The Last of the Pie Hunters by Mur Lafferty

I've been listening since Drabblecast 113 and worked my way backward to *finally* get caught up all the way back to "Drabblecast the First."

For me this year's best is a toss-up between 146, 136 and 109. Please don't make me choose anymore. It hurtz.
I want to change the world but no one will give the source code.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:26 am

strawman wrote:
Did any of you vote for PAINGUIN? Democracy sucks.
Mo Udall said it best: "The voters have spoken, the bastards."

/raises hand.
(don't be snarky moonowl, HELLCAT won by like what, 7 votes? It was Florida 2000 all over again. Or Minnesota 2008 if you prefer.)

But honestly, this gets to a point I was trying to make earlier. I'll really be surprised if I ever hear a sub-par story on the drabblecast. While some make tickle my fancy more than others it comes down to personal taste. Just because I think Toast and Clown Eggs are the bees knees, doesn't mean everyone else is going to feel the same way.

For the record, if we got to choose 6 stories, I'm pretty sure Babel Probe would have made my list.

Whatever other differences we may have Strawman, remember, we are brothers in black and white arms and mourn together the loss of Noble Velasquez to that damned (literally) feline.

(hmmm, thought I'd gotten over that... must still be too soon...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 am

feste451 wrote:Drabblecast 146- Teddy Bears and Tea Parties by S. Boyd Taylor
Drabblecast 136- The Great Old Pumpkin by John Aegard
Drabblecast 105- Doubleheader 2: The Blueberry Pie or The Last of the Pie Hunters by Mur Lafferty

I've been listening since Drabblecast 113 and worked my way backward to *finally* get caught up all the way back to "Drabblecast the First."

For me this year's best is a toss-up between 146, 136 and 109. Please don't make me choose anymore. It hurtz.

Welcome to the forum. Thumbs up for stopping by the polling booth and exercising your civic duty.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:34 am

There's also the supernatural bbardle aspect to consider. I mean, Norm was writing the bbardle when the script showed up, and 24 hours later the song and the episode were done. That clearly demonstrates strange circumstances surrounding the nativity of this episode.

On the other hand, God him self took, like, 3 billion years to produce dinosaurs.

Now, as I recollect, the song is not supposed to weigh in on the side of the story. But as I also recall, Jelly Park was not at all damaged by the Jolly Jelly song.

OK, that's all I have to say on this subject. That, and
feste451 wrote:Please don't make me choose anymore. It hurtz.

Spoiler:

Return to “2009 Drabblecast People's Choice Awards”