9%
Marbles- Ayn Sauer
5%

Total votes: 22

normsherman
Site Admin

Round 1!

Postby normsherman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:09 pm

Remember to try to vote on the story itself- not the production of it!

If you would like to nominate an additional story not listed here, post it as a topic and it will be added with the poll.

This first round will last until Jan 30!
"Give us all some Jelly"

RNDG33K

Postby RNDG33K » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 am

Norm, is it possible for you to post a link to the stories or a short recap to help us remember them? Or are we supposed to go back and listen to all these stories again?

normsherman
Site Admin

Story Recaps

Postby normsherman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:51 am

Code Brown- Dermot Glennon
"We cannot destroy it- it's too valuable" said Klugscheisser.
"And yet, it would be dangerous to keep it. We must hide it in the last place that anyone would ever think of looking for it..."

The Worm Within- Vincent Eaton
After so many years, there are few surprises left for me sitting on a toilet. Yet it was there where I first discovered an uninvited entity that wanted to call me home...

Pumpkinseeds- Kevin Anderson
Their orange gazes came from devilishly carved eyes and their vigilant stares sent a chill up Kincade's neck. He had never liked the gutted vegetables that people found hauntingly ornamental this time of year...

The Beekeepers- J. Alan Pierce
The Tehtix move so damn fast- scientists can't ever keep up...and populations never know what hit them...

Jelly Park- Aliya Whiteley
"I'm not sure I belong here."
"Then where do you belong?"
The others stopped chewing and looked at me expectantly.
What am I...

Crazy- Patricia Russo
Ma called it the Crazy. She always had. The old lady called it something else. Most of the time, before- touched one- I used the word Ma used, or sometimes I called it the weirdnes, to myself...

Marbles- Ayn Sauer
"Michael..." his mother said, smiling and bending toward him. "Don't you think we should invite your new neighbor over to play?"

[/u]
"Give us all some Jelly"

vburn

nomination suggestion

Postby vburn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:46 pm

I would like to nominate Drabblecast 15- Roanax by some A-hole, no no just kidding :D , Mr. Norm Sherman. Modesty (ha) or s"ome employees not eligable" clause may keep Norm from winning, but it is my favorite story thus far.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:45 am

woohoo!
Yah, I can't see letting myself compete, but thanks for the ego boost! :-)
"Give us all some Jelly"

HokieGeek

indeed

Postby HokieGeek » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Roanax was indeed a lot of fun. But, since that's not an option, i confess that I'm tied between the worm within and jelly park. Was happy to see that they're both front runners

adam

Postby adam » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm

i almost went with jelly park, as i probably enjoyed it the most too, but i was conflicted as norm said to vote only on the story itself and not the production of it. i take that to mean that awesome song (not the lyrics but the music) doesnt come in as a factor. had the song had been read instead of sung in a chorus with the instruments, i probably got more of a kick out of code brown. i think desert storm deserved a nomination but i might not have voted for it anyway.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Nominations

Postby StalinSays » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 am

I don't know if it's eligible (or if it'd be right for it to be eligible), but the story I enjoyed the most this year was Sredni Vashtar back in June. It was just so... triumphant.

In the way of possible nominations, I wish Drabblecast 5, Guardians was an available choice.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:52 am

bout time i saw some stalinsays in the forums! you'll be seein more of this guy.

yah, unfortunately saki is dead and I'm also disqualified, but again- I'm happy to know someone heard that story!
"Give us all some Jelly"

anadrea

Postby anadrea » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:28 pm

I have to echo Adam's sentiments. I've listened to Jelly Park several times, just to hear the music :) But, I think Code Brown gave me the biggest kick. As for the un-nominated stories, I really liked Norm's The Guardian. Could be because it was one of the very first stories I listened to, but it stuck with me.

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 pm

I Want to Nominate The One That Got Away and The Guilt Trader

Derm

Postby Derm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Woohoo! So far I seem to be doing okay either way (given that I made a guest appearance on jelly park). Thanks everybody

strawman

Once Upon a Time on a Hill #26

Postby strawman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:14 pm

It's a lot of fun listenning to the year's Drabblecasts, which I can now do thanks to the mp3 archive.

While doing so, I have rediscovered some really good stories. Once Upon a Time on a Hill was preceded by the first Drabble Poetry Corner, and had a poetic quality of its own. "The sirens were eagles circling over their prey".
Well written, quite a surprise twist at the end, and with an effective lesson on false perceptions and misjudging.

Episode 26 was before the creation of the forum, so we didn't have the pleasure of story discussion and analysis. But I always look forward to the next episode. And now I like rediscovering old episodes almost as much.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:28 am

Podcasting 101: Don't air your first episode till you've figured out your setup. DC stories were a little hit or miss in the early days (not easy getting weekly stories when nobody knows about you!) but worse is the recording quality. One of these days I'll go back and redo some of the better stories maybe.
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm

I look forward to that. The re-do's on Black and White Animals were great, as you augmented the kitsch with the overdose of sound effects. Reminded me of the old Batman and Robin, with the BAM! screens.
Such drama!

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Wow, I'm surprised Code Brown is so popular. It was an entertaining story, but I didn't think it came anywhere close to Worm Within for grossness, Jelly Park for funness or The Beekeepers for disturbishness. Seems like all the stuff that made it good was done better by one of the other nominees.

Maybe it's the descriptive title...
Advertise in this space!

adam

Postby adam » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 am

it takes a story we are all familiar with- aliens abducting rednecks and probing their bums- and answers the questions we all ask about why the heck they would want to do that. i mean of all things they could do with that technology.. probe a dirty, obscure bum? it gives a fittingly absurd solution to the absurd stories absurd people actually give in real life. and that much absurdity makes it particularly drabbleable to me.
i love the grossness, funness and disturbiness of the others, but the best drabble to me ties all those factors together.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:38 am

I think the people who voted for Code Brown ought to be spanked, (and would probably enjoy it.)

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 am

adam wrote:it takes a story we are all familiar with- aliens abducting rednecks and probing their bums- and answers the questions we all ask about why the heck they would want to do that .

The Truth is out there... or in there
"Give us all some Jelly"

Chuckbucket

Postby Chuckbucket » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm

I liked the worm within, I was eating pancakes while listening. It definitely effected the taste of my pancakes.

Return to “2009 Drabblecast People's Choice Awards”