MB4 R1 - Scarho'tep vs. Tristegotops vs. Minotaurd

Which Mega-Beast finalist are you voting for?

Scarho'tep
30%
Tristegotops
30%
Minotaurd
41%

Total votes: 27

Mikes

Re: MB4 R1 - Scarho'tep vs. Tristegotops vs. Minotaurd

Postby Mikes » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:57 am

It's unfair when a MB is the head of a religion. It'd be like The Pope being on the Xfactor.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

ejbman

Postby ejbman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 am

Wait? The Pope is going to be on Xfactor? Will he be opposite Richard Dawkins?
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

jannypie

Postby jannypie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:08 am

Ach, the dumb beast comes from behind to win it all. I accept this defeat gracefully, Minotaurd, but we will see what happens next round!!!!
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 am

And, unbelievably, the Minotaurd is your victor! Round 2 should be up in a couple hours.

Final tallies:
Minotaurd 959
Scarhotep 945
Tristegotops 931

This thread now the one-stop for all griping and accusations - hurray!
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mikes

Postby Mikes » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:13 am

Like I said before; stupidity = single mindedness.

angagaur

Postby angagaur » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 am

I think Minotard started the match by turning invisible and proceded to either drift clumsily through the air or fall on his face. What we do know is he was too busy making a celery sandwitch to take part in the vicious battle between Scarhotep and Tristegotops.
By the time the dust settles and Scarhotep emerges stronger than ever, minotard had finished bumping his head against the wall and awkwardly swats the flylike creature buzzing around his face, taking this round in an upset.

ejbman

Postby ejbman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 am

*Wails* *Gnashes teeth*
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:42 am

angagaur wrote:I think Minotard started the match by turning invisible and proceded to either drift clumsily through the air or fall on his face. What we do know is he was too busy making a celery sandwitch to take part in the vicious battle between Scarhotep and Tristegotops.
By the time the dust settles and Scarhotep emerges stronger than ever, minotard had finished bumping his head against the wall and awkwardly swats the flylike creature buzzing around his face, taking this round in an upset.

I was quite pissed off until I read this post.

Then, after a minute of silence, I stopped and realized-- gads... he's right. He's totally right.

Well played Minotaurd...well played.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mikes

Postby Mikes » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:47 am

So does this mean the 'Tuard is now packing heat?

jannypie

Postby jannypie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:58 am

now i wan some cerery
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

dreamrock

Postby dreamrock » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 am

Well, poop on a gravy stick.

Sigh. Sorry, Scar and Tristen. Better luck next time.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:17 am

Ugh. I haven't really been participating this round because Minotaurd is just seriously gross. Making fun of the mentally handicapped is about the lowest you can get. I'm really disappointed that the monster whose entire schtick is a grotesque bit of shock humor is the one moving on. Would people have voted for a monster that was "half minotaur, half jungle bunny, his primitive African drumbeats giving him power"? People making jokes about "retard strength" and so on just makes me sad.

I know it's all meant "in good fun" etc., but I just can't stomach this kind of thing. Count me out for the rest of the contest, y'all.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 am

Scattercat wrote:Ugh. I haven't really been participating this round because Minotaurd is just seriously gross. Making fun of the mentally handicapped is about the lowest you can get. I'm really disappointed that the monster whose entire schtick is a grotesque bit of shock humor is the one moving on. Would people have voted for a monster that was "half minotaur, half jungle bunny, his primitive African drumbeats giving him power"? People making jokes about "retard strength" and so on just makes me sad.

I know it's all meant "in good fun" etc., but I just can't stomach this kind of thing. Count me out for the rest of the contest, y'all.

Sorry to see you go Scattercat, I really enjoyed your beast submissions. We do try to operate in that "good fun" grey zone, juggling irreverent and controversial without being outright offensive or overtly demeaning. It seems here we've failed, and veered in to a territory you consider impermissible.

The concept for an amazingly powered yet incompetent mega-beast has been something I was toying with for some time. Stumbling upon the pun / hook of Minotaurd, it read so quickly I went against better judgement and packaged it together. For me, it was about easily conveying a concept, not slurring the disabled for an extended period. We could have done more to paint him a 'dullard' and not something so blue. For all the hours I put in to this here, I took the easy way.

If it's of any value - the tard moniker will be dropped completely in the next incarnation.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Non-Euclidean Geo.

Postby Non-Euclidean Geo. » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Scattercat wrote:Would people have voted for a monster that was "half minotaur, half jungle bunny, his primitive African drumbeats giving him power"? People making jokes about "retard strength" and so on just makes me sad.

The analogy doesn't hold. To replace mental retardation with race would be like making a Minotaur themed mega-beast's Greek ethnicity a weakness. And I'd sooner chalk Minotaurd's mental retardation up to being a man with the head of a cow than DS. Still, I won't deny Minotaurd is inappropriate. Just not so much so that any serious lines were crossed.

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:42 pm

I think that Mega-Beast supporters can tell the difference between a mythical beast with the brain of a dairy cow, and taking the piss out of people with learning disabilities.

That said.. Go Minotaurd!!!
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Ya, I cringe a bit at the name myself (while still appreciating the pun of course) and will be happy to see his name change as he becomes an unholy abomination in the next round. That said, a beast in Mino's situation-- having great, almost unfair power, but tempered with the "but could he actually use those powers?"-- is nothing new. Lucifoul could see into other dimensions, vanish into shadow pockets, control minds and split into multiple decoys, but if I remember correctly this caused him to suffer from schizophrenic dementia and dissociate identity disorder, which are serious and very unfortunate illnesses (but he still won, that sonofabitch!) I'm sure there were others too. You almost have to affix a disability in order to temper all that raw and awesome 'ability.'
I do think that Minotaurd won, not because of his name, but because people answered the above question with "yes, he may have an IQ below 70, but he'd still kick everyone's ass in a deathmatch."
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 am

angagaur wrote:I think Minotard started the match by turning invisible and proceded to either drift clumsily through the air or fall on his face. What we do know is he was too busy making a celery sandwitch to take part in the vicious battle between Scarhotep and Tristegotops.

So very, very true.
I don't mind that he won. He'll be awfully scary. I also don't take offense at it, because he has the head of a cow. But everyone has their own threshold.

Well won, silent majority.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

SEELE_01

Postby SEELE_01 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 am

Scattercat wrote:Would people have voted for a monster that was "half minotaur, half jungle bunny, his primitive African drumbeats giving him power"?

I would have.

themorg

Postby themorg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:46 pm

StalinSays wrote:
Scattercat wrote:Ugh. I haven't really been participating this round because Minotaurd is just seriously gross. Making fun of the mentally handicapped is about the lowest you can get. I'm really disappointed that the monster whose entire schtick is a grotesque bit of shock humor is the one moving on. Would people have voted for a monster that was "half minotaur, half jungle bunny, his primitive African drumbeats giving him power"? People making jokes about "retard strength" and so on just makes me sad.

Sorry to see you go Scattercat, I really enjoyed your beast submissions. We do try to operate in that "good fun" grey zone, juggling irreverent and controversial without being outright offensive or overtly demeaning. It seems here we've failed, and veered in to a territory you consider impermissible.

The concept for an amazingly powered yet incompetent mega-beast has been something I was toying with for some time. Stumbling upon the pun / hook of Minotaurd, it read so quickly I went against better judgement and packaged it together. For me, it was about easily conveying a concept, not slurring the disabled for an extended period. We could have done more to paint him a 'dullard' and not something so blue. For all the hours I put in to this here, I took the easy way.

If it's of any value - the tard moniker will be dropped completely in the next incarnation.

while i understand that the use of tard can be considered "controversial" but it was what (the person that came up with it and all of the people who accepted it) we found funny.

I have worked for years with developmentally disabled in full-time care positions and even (at one time) ACCD advocate for a client that was being neglected and mistreated and they helped them sue the care company. It was a thankless job that gave me a lot of perspective on how (as a society) we treat people. Most people will never look directly into the eyes of Developmentally disabled people and when someone does (such as a care taker) it really improves their quality of life. I would look Minitaurd in the eyes and say "you are a strong beast who is able, despite your challenges, to defeat any opponent." and that is how i would support him.

I believe the judgement of the drabblecast (who are hosting) said beast battle are totally within their acceptability of using the term tard and could understand why they would choose to change it. but

1. It is fictional / satire
2. You would not call him tard if he were needing help you would then say he is Developmental disability.
3. He is a savage beast who does not care about what you say to him.
4. It is jest/humor

I do understand Scattercats qualms with the term and i accept that he has bowed out of mega beast.

I also feel that if you change Minotaurd i then will bow out of the competition and wait for next years censored selections.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm

themorg wrote:I also feel that if you change Minotaurd i then will bow out of the competition and wait for next years censored selections.

Minotaurd is Minotaurd, that isn't changing. My statement regards the use of 'tard' in the name of the new, bull-headed meta-beast finalist. I had not planned to re-use it before the Scattercat's post, but am certain to avoid it now. He'll be absorbing the intelligence of Scarho'tep and Tristegotops, along with their essence, so it wouldn't apply.

As evidenced by the Meth-Head in the second round (and, one can be certain, the language and subject matter of the next podcast), we aren't self-censoring. My impetus was to address a reasonable complaint, and to try and retain a forum participant - the kind of maven fan that makes this all work.

The tribulations of chasing puns..

Return to “Mega-Beast Death-Match Season 4 (Fall 2010)”