Nominations - Best Story

normsherman
Site Admin

Nominations - Best Story

Postby normsherman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm

It's that time of the year again - the Drabblecast People's Choice Awards. As indicated, nominations arise from you, the listeners. Please select only from the list of eligible 2011-2012 stories that appears below.

Nominate (list) your top 5 favorite feature stories!

196 - Moons Like Great White Whales by C.C. Finlay
Interstellar travelers contemplate love and existence

197 - Death Comes But Twice by Mary Robinette Kowal
A mad scientist cheats death... or does he?

198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era by Jessica Grant
An alternate reality romance - two separated loves keep passion afloat by sending it down the tubes

199 - In the Octopus's Garden by James S. Dorr
A murdered man reanimates as a being comrpised of undersea detritus.

Bsides 14 - Uneasy Lies the Head that Wears the Clown by Fraser Sherman
A review for an imaginary novel, detailing a businessman's transformation in to a clown

201 - Fiddleback Ferns by Sarah Monette and/or Killipedes by Jens Rushing and/or The Difficulties of Evolution by Karen Hueler
Fiddleback Ferns: a space infestation sends a mother to her breaking point. Killipedes: a dark, humorous tale where a doctor breaks down a patient’s nasty parasitical infection. The Difficulties of Evolution: a mournful parent contemplates her child’s anthropomorphic metamorphosis.

202/203 - Boojum by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette
A space pirate forms a unique bond with her living ship.

204 - A Day Out, with Stereoscopes by Tina Connolly and/or Hard Choices by Tina Connolly
A Day Out, with Stereoscopes: An automated narrator details the many options available in a madcap journey through a Stereoscope park. Hard Choices: a choose your own adventure featuring two sisters in an alien world/

205 - Just Be by Sandra Odell and/or Wonder by J.R. Hamantaschen and/or You Had me at Rawwwr by Nicky Drayden
Just Be: A passing of the torch between two devils. Wonder: the results of a terrible, disfiguring curse on a child and its parents, described by a spiteful narrator. You Had Me at Rawrr: A wistful, domesticated zombie details the plight of a time-traveling scientist working to prevent mankind's extinction.

206 - Creature by Ramsey Shehadeh
A life form of untold power teeters between humanity and inhumanity.

207 - Pinion by Stellan Thorne
A hardened detective chases a fugitive angel

208 - Hokkaido Green by Aidan Doyle
A man's life course is altered by via supernatural interaction with a talking panda.

209 - Babyhead by Aliya Whiteley
A couple's life together is destroyed by the growth of mewling baby heads in the garden, and a woman's subsequent obsession.

210 - P is for Parade by Tim Pratt and/or F is for Forever by Heather Shaw and/or C is for Crate by Greg van Eekhout and Jen Reese
P is for Parade: A description of an otherworldly independence day parade in an alternate reality America. F is for Forever: a hell-dweller details the new tortures developed for modernized damnation. C is for Crate: a woman of humble means runs afoul of a dark, dream-eating, crate creature.

211 - At the End of the Hall by Nick Mamatas
A bitter, elderly woman's delirium leads to robots and destruction.

212 - Ancient Engines by Michael Swanwick
An inventor explains to a cyborg that immortality is not quite what it seems

214 - The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk by Eugie Foster
An extra-dimensional demonic entity is transformed in to a teddy bear. It kindles a tender relationship with a frightened, young girl.

215 - Dread Unlocks by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
A snarky, professional dispeller of dread is put to the test by her new newsman client and his terrifying van.

216 - The Book of Eternity by Mike Resnick
A student of the arcane and esoteric pursues immortality, only to receive just, eternal punishment.

217 - Followedby Will McIntosh
A man struggles to understand his child corpse, in so doing comes to terms with his guilt.

218 - Orange by Susan Forest
The end of the world and exodus from earth as told from multiple perspectives

219 - The Big Splash by George R. Galuschak
A young man seeks advice from a beach bum alien who possesses magical powers.

220 - Bad Habit by Richard Weems and/or Tags by Andrew Gudgel and/or A Happy Family by Nathaniel Tower
Bad Habit: a nun struggles to subdue a rowdy, naked man. Tags: a girl dependent on futuristic technology is compelled in to a struggle with ordinary yet foreign, un-tagged reality. A Happy Family: a woman gives birth to a boot, familial strife follows.

221 - Year of the Rabbit by An Owomoyela
Beleaguered survivors in a post-apocalyptic future repel a darkness threatening their absorption and dissolution.

222 - Rules for Living in a Simulation by Aubrey Hirsch
Rules for living in a simulation.

223 - Bearing Fruit by Nikki Alfar
The fable of a young girl, impregnated by an errant mango, navigating the river of life in pursuit of her true beau.

224 - Unintended Consequences by John P. Murphy and/or Expired by John P. Murphy
Unintended Consequences: A recovering alcoholic is compelled in to old habits by meddlesome sprites. Expired: A new employee is made aware of the terrifically wasteful, secret nature of manufacturing.

225 - David Is Six by Amanda C. Davis and/or The Best Boy, The Brightest Boy by Megan R. Engelhard and/or Broken by Steven Saus
David is Six: A boy wishing to grow up is tricked and imprisoned by faeries. Best Boy, The Brightest Boy: The pied piper describes the rearing of his frightful protege. Broken: a man is given the terrible choice between his afflicted son and a faery's replacement.

226 - The Heroics of Interior Design by Elise R. Hopkins
A trouble woman's super power is all too ordinary. A breakdown occurs.

228 - A Fairy Tale of Oakland by Tim Pratt
The origin story of Santa's dark servant, Krampus, set in Oakland.

229 - Singularity Knocks by Will Ludwigsen
The earth's last remaining luddites are seduced by a heavenly digital existence.

230 - Bears Discover Fire by Terry Bisson
The world is thrown in to tumult by bears acquiring technology and drastically altering their habits. Meanwhile a man copes with a complex family situation.

231 - Whit Carlson's Trespasser by Will Ludwigsen and/or The Six Pieces of Everett Montrose by Jamie Killen and/or Boll Weevil by Nathan Lee
Whit Carlson's Trespasser: Whit explains to local law enforcement the threat represented by a trespassing clown. The Six Pieces of Everett Montrose: a clandestine group possessing the disembodied pieces of Evertt Montrose commiserate. Boll Weevil: alien weevils destroy the world - one man enjoys his final, bittersweet hours.
"Give us all some Jelly"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Nominations - Best Story

Postby StalinSays » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

My picks:

At the End of the Hall
    You Had me at Rawwwr
    The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk
    The Best Boy, The Brightest Boy
    The Heroics of Interior Design
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Can we get reminder text for these, too? Some of these titles just are not ringing a bell for me...

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Here are mine:

Just Be (#205)

Boojum (#202/@203)

Creature (#206)

Orange (218)

Bears Discover Fire (#230)

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 am

I'll be voting late so I can listen to em all again and score em.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am

Scattercat wrote:Can we get reminder text for these, too? Some of these titles just are not ringing a bell for me...

Got descriptions in there. If you're still drawing a blank, the titles are all links to episodes. It's easy to have stories become blurry and blend together, especially in double-headers and trifectas. I had to do a spot of re-listening myself.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

TimoBretten

Postby TimoBretten » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 am

My top five

Bearing Fruit
Boojum
Rules for living in a simulated environment

Just dropping it here, hope one of the five makes it :D

behind the ziggurat

Postby behind the ziggurat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:06 am

I pick:

The Big Splash

The Best Boy, The Brightest Boy

Boojum

Followed

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 am

1) Bears Discover Fire
I love the understated weirdness of this one, the two stories paralleling but never quite touching. Exemplifies a lot of the best of weird fiction, for me. Gentle and unsettling.

2) Followed
Heavy-handed but sharp. I think it ends at the right time, leaving a trailing ambiguity to ease some of the onerous weight of its symbolism. Bonus points for the off-handed and unexplored mention of a female President who, no, does not have any real difference in her behavior as leader and thus bears her share of the dead.

3) Creature
Whimsical menace is a favorite mood of mine. This story has it in spades.

4) The Heroics of Interior Design
I liked this story a lot, although I confess I misread it initially and didn't realize she explicitly turned the sky yellow. I really enjoyed intuiting that from the line about "What happened to the sky?" Still, the last line is kick-ass.

5) A Day Out, with Stereoscopes and Hard Choices
I'm putting these two together because they both use nonstandard story formats to tremendous effect. Gimmicky, but this is about the best version of the gimmick I've seen, and thus they both get a nod.

Honorable Mentions:
- Year of the Rabbit
Creepy and hallucinatory. I remember enjoying it, but I don't remember any details about it. Thus, it stays off of my top five list. I am arbitrary and unfair, so nyeah.

- David is Six
<3 for refrains. Simple, almost predictable, but well done.

samuelvictorwood

Postby samuelvictorwood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:39 pm

My top 5:

Orange #218
Boojum #202/3
Followed #217
The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk #214
Creature #206

adonisatreus

Postby adonisatreus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:09 pm

215 - Dread Unlocks by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

217 - Followed by Will McIntosh

225 - David Is Six by Amanda C. Davis and/or The Best Boy, The Brightest Boy by Megan R. Engelhard and/or Broken by Steven Saus

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm

I nominate...

#1 Bears Discover Fire:
I loved the atmosphere this one created before the weirdness even began to occur. I'm not surprised this story has won so many awards, I haven't come across "Americana" in spec fic done this well before. It's alternate history with a ludicrous evolutionary development that says something about the "american dream" indeed being lost. With all this texting and fast communication, talking to our young, passing on traditions and home-grown wisdom/knowledge... really talking to one another, or hell, being comfortable not talking at all, (say, around around a camp fire)... these things are vanishing. Bears are waking up as humanity lulls itself further into hibernation, listening to sales conferences and pundits blather on the news all day. I think the story was about what we lose, generation to generation. It really grabbed me by the neck, I both laughed and teared-up at different moments.

#2 Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era:
I LOVED this story. I've listened to every DC episode and am not sure I've ever heard one as nuanced as this. There are lines that if you are properly engaged will just pull at you. The music and reading were so perfect. And it's such a weird weird story, despite being honest, sweet and utterly lovely. I would love for Ms. Grant to win with this one. I've listened to it many many times.

#3 Boojum:
I know Bear and Monette won last year, but we can't hold that against them can we? This was just phenomenal fiction. We get to know more about the massive living ships the pirates abide in, we hear about the Mi-Go and their sinister plans for stored brain-cargo. Brilliant world building, interesting characters. It wasn't quite as good as Mongoose but it was damn near close, and I'd be happy if it won.

#4 At the End of the Hall:
This story reminded me a lot of a great movie I had seen called "That Evening Sun". It won some nice independent film awards; was about an old man who escapes from a nursing home and goes back to live in his farm only to find his son had sold it. Both the movie and the story gradually build up tension toward a bang ending as the elderly protagonist comes to terms with age, death and most of all: change.
But At the End of the Hall was cooler because it had a giant robot. :) Oh, and this story also gets my vote for "best Drabblecast soundtrack" of the year. The use of Sigur Ros was masterful.

#5 Creature:
Was a tie between Creature and Wish of Achtromagick actually. I'm going to have to go with Creature. Both did the "troubled little girl befriends a monster" thing very well. But the author used tone so well in Creature. It was dark and hopeless, and also very sweet.

Honorable mentions...
Wonder: (so so so creepy!) Awesome reading and production.
Best Boy, Brightest Boy: Also creepy, and cool reveal in the end.
Followed: Very interesting concept/conundrum and fantastic writing overall.
Year of the Rabbit: Someone described the story as 'hallucinogenic' and I think that's perfect. Just like the protagonists, we aren't quite sure what's happening around us and that makes for a scary and unnerving ride. The last couple lines are beautiful and haunting as hell.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

munsi

Postby munsi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 pm

My official votes would have to be:

Babyhead – Aliya Whiteley
Orange – Susan Forest
Rules for Living in a Simulation – Aubrey Hirsch
Singularity Knocks – Will Ludwigsen
Bears Discover Fire – Terry Bisson

....tough getting it down to five, tho'. REALLY good year for the drabblecast!

Althalas

Postby Althalas » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:02 am

My nominations

There is a kind of beauty in the performance of this story. I like the feeling of a new future in a land that no one understands at the end. Creature and the girl have found each other and there may be a future in all this desolation and mutation.

the story that hooked me on Drabblecast. I love how this turns the eldritch horror idea on it's head. Having Achtromagk as the protagonist looking at a world it does not understand, then finding stability in it is a nice turn for a lovecraftian story.

208 - Hokkaido Green by Aidan Doyle
Happiness is not necessarily what you think it is. Working hard and creating great things may not be worth it if you never close up do to the bears.

199 - In the Octopus's Garden by James S. Dorr
this one still creeps me out. the idea that he is broken down to bacterium to infest the entire city makes my skin crawl.

Wonder by J.R. Hamantaschen
the amount of spite in this story is amazing. This is almost pure hate to me, and that is rare to find in any story.
Real men swing for 2.

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 pm

202/203 - Boojum by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette

226 - The Heroics of Interior Design by Elise R. Hopkins

225 - The Best Boy, The Brightest Boy by Megan R. Engelhard

Djinndustries

Postby Djinndustries » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 am

Creature for People's Choice 2011! Tightly written story, sorrow, joy, excellent reading and production. It's a total victory. Engaging, interesting, imagery is overwhelming, full of pathos, really a solid story (except for the Tourette's crabs). I know you shouldn't rate the story just based on its production, but the choice of music and the reading in this one were really top notch.

Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era - I love this story, it's so sweet without being cloying and it's got a happy ending without being too contrived (although riding a truck like a sheep is a bit deus ex machina, I guess)

At the End of the Hall - Excellent story with poignancy and humor and giant death robots. Maybe not accessible to those under 30 as they haven't yet quite cottoned on to their mortality. This one, too, had an excellent reader and music.

- Reverse horror story with teddy bears and eldritch horrors. Creative, but not particularly elegantly written.

The Year of the Rabbit - Creepy and foreboding. May turn off the more upbeat audience members.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 am

198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era by Jessica Grant
An alternate reality romance - two separated loves keep passion afloat by sending it down the tubes

A life form of untold power teeters between humanity and inhumanity.

A student of the arcane and esoteric pursues immortality, only to receive just, eternal punishment.

A man struggles to understand his child corpse, in so doing comes to terms with his guilt.

222 - Rules for Living in a Simulation by Aubrey Hirsch
Rules for living in a simulation.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

themorg

Postby themorg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 am

Best Story

#1 202/203 Boojum

Favorite story ever on the drabblecast. So good i did a Savage Worlds RPG conversion to play with my friends based on Boojum and Mongoose for 3 months of glorious game play.

#2 214 - The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk
#3 230 Bears discovering fire
#4 198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era (after listening to it again)
#5 212 - Ancient Engines
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

Fantomex

Postby Fantomex » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:01 am

1. Creature

2. Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era

3. Boojum

4. Followed

5. The Best Boy, The Brightest Boy

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:12 am

Fantomex wrote:Creature...

Hmmm. "Phantom X" shows up to make a stealth nomination....

Welcome aboard!

Return to “2011 Drabblecast People's Choice Awards”