11%
Jessica Grant - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era
13%

Total votes: 45

normsherman
Site Admin

Best Story! [vote here]

Postby normsherman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:12 pm

It's time to decide the Drabblecast People's Choice Awards winners. Nominations are set, so now you, the listeners must vote to decide the most beloved of our 2011-2012 feature stories. Who will take home the chalice of glory this year? Links and descriptions appear below.

Select Your Favorite(s) from the List of Finalists Below!

From episode 217 - Followed by Will McIntosh

A man struggles to understand his child corpse, in so doing comes to terms with his guilt.

From episode 214 - The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk by Eugie Foster

An extra-dimensional demonic entity is transformed in to a teddy bear. It kindles a tender relationship with a frightened, young girl.

From episode 206 - Creature by Ramsey Shehadeh

A life form of untold power teeters between humanity and inhumanity.

From episodes 202 and 203 - Boojum pt. 1 and pt. 2 by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette

A space pirate forms a unique bond with her living ship.

From episode 198 - by Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era Jessica Grant

An alternate reality romance - two separated loves keep passion afloat by sending it down the tubes

"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Best Story! [vote here]

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 am

Excellent stories, all. I must vote for the excellentest of them all, tho. The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk. It's one of the best short stories I've ever seen.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:07 am

I'll admit that my emotional attachment to episode #206 threw "Creature" over the top for me. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in liking the story, though. And this isn't the MBDM voting. All of the stories should be very proud to make the cut to this final five. Looking forward to seeing who gets to take home the Sacred Chalice. I suppose it's redundant to say "gosh, this was a good year for stories on the drabblecast, wasn't it?"
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

random_string

Postby random_string » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm

A flock of semaphore ravens, signaling frantically, drew me here to cast a vote for Creature.

Lone Mopper

Postby Lone Mopper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm

The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk for me.
The Lone Mopper
"Wash your hands and quit eating in the bathroom"

http://www.lk-clean.com
http://www.cleanpeers.com
http://www.lonemopper.com

SteveQuest

Postby SteveQuest » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Episode #206 "Creature" did it for me. I lost count of how many times I have listened to it already. :D

apricity

Postby apricity » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 am

SteveQuest wrote:Episode #206 "Creature" did it for me. I lost count of how many times I have listened to it already. :D

I completely agree - I liked all of these stories, especially The Demon and Followed, but Creature just had a little more magic than the rest. New to Drabblecast and catching up with back stories, but this is definitely one of my favorites thus far.

themorg

Postby themorg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 am

SteveQuest wrote:Episode #206 "Creature" did it for me. I lost count of how many times I have listened to it already. :D

I lost count listening to the number of times i listened to Boojum. Recently my long running Sci-fi game ran into the Mi-Go and the ship hit light drive moments before everything ended. Best Sci fi game moment personally. i am surprised it is in the lower number of votes. Creature was great but not amazing to me.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

Mikes

Postby Mikes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 am

Tough choice this year. I had to go back and listen to them all, and The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk came out slightly ahead.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 am

themorg wrote:I lost count listening to the number of times i listened to Boojum. Recently my long running Sci-fi game ran into the Mi-Go and the ship hit light drive moments before everything ended. Best Sci fi game moment personally. i am surprised it is in the lower number of votes.

Yes, it's surprising how low Boojum is. It was one helluva story. That points out, again, what a selection we have!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Postby Travelin Corpse Feet » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
themorg wrote:I lost count listening to the number of times i listened to Boojum. Recently my long running Sci-fi game ran into the Mi-Go and the ship hit light drive moments before everything ended. Best Sci fi game moment personally. i am surprised it is in the lower number of votes.

Yes, it's surprising how low Boojum is. It was one helluva story. That points out, again, what a selection we have!

I think it has a tough time separating itself from Mongoose. Looking back, Boojum doesn't really break any new ground: the mixed Carrol and Lovecraft references are layered over everything, but when you strip those away what's left beneath isn't an amazing story. You could make the same argument for Mongoose, but Mongoose did it first and feels like the fresher of the two, IMO.

Edit: I voted for Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era. It was either that or Creature and I realized I hadn't heard the Drabblecast version of Creature (first heard it on Escape Pod). Something I like about worlds that are broken down or are in the process of breaking down.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

Return to “2011 Drabblecast People's Choice Awards”