Secretnude's Drabble Poetry Corner

Short Stories available for anyone to read
Forum rules
These posts are public, and will be searched by Google. If you want to maintain "First Worldwide Rights" on your story, post in the Short Stories (Member Only) forum. Story authors still retain ownership and copyright, either way.
secretnude

I was an Unchristian Secular Christian

Postby secretnude » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:05 pm

strawman wrote:Fine, but for one thing. I have not tried to save you or change you, only told you my personal view. When we talk about why we have those views, all is well. You imputed evangelical characteristics to me which I do not have. So my offense was imaginary. I never told you the things that you say evangelicals do.

Like telling Obama why he's wrong to like Hip Hop, certain that he likes Hip Hop and watermelon because he's black. In that case it's considered a form of racism. More accurately, it's prejudice - judging without evidence, based on categorizing people by tropes.

If I did not "try to convert you", then your attitude is left standing there swinging, by itself, claiming that
a life guided by reason and evidence can be so much richer and more fulfilling.

I have been friendly to you through a mutual interest in strange stories for strange listeners. We usually don't have problems

So extremely sorry
since I don't have a Theory
of Mind
to find
your intentions
and due to that limitation,
I must mention
that I assumed the worse case
scenario
rather than the best case
scenario
in this case.

I was prejudiced indeed
by a few deeds
of a few Christians
and I was Unchristian
even if I'm not a Christian.

I do try to adopt some Christian
values such that I'm a Secular Christian
in some measure
for sure.

You are quite welcome to share
your wonderful religious experiences
since I now know why you share
your Christian experience.
"Be Authentically Weird and be Weird
enough to be in a Category of One."

"It's time to shake up staid traditions
in favor of strange experimentation."

strawman

Re: Secretnude's Drabble Poetry Corner

Postby strawman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Thank you.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

secretnude

An unwell Terror Cell in an Isolation Cell

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 am

Many allegedly unwell Terror Cells
due
to
the Planetwide War on Terror Cells
were captured and then detained
at a certain
'Secret Base'
to face
the Terror of the Isolation Cell
in a Cellular War Torn Nation
that was like Cell Hell.

In an Isolation Cell
an unwell Terror Cell
that was stripped of the Cell's
glycoprotein coat
wasn't allowed to float
to be deprived of air
to the Cell's despair.

It was a Cellular Water Torture
for sure
in water
with low dissolved oxygen
and many pathogens.

The unwell
Terror Cell
felt like it was indeed in Cell Hell.

- links -
Previous viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49348#p49348

Terror Cell viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49310#p49308

Planetwide War on Terror Cells viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49348#p49347

Dissolved Oxygen http://www.unc.edu/~shashi/TablePages/d ... xygen.html

secretnude

A Terror Cell is very unwell

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:35 am

This very much unwell
Terror Cell
was finally given some air
but this Terror Cell
still felt great despair
since its damaged Cell
Body needs repair.

After Cellular Torture
for sure
a Cellular Medic came
to help this Unwell
Terror Cell
due to shame.

It was really quite a shame
for the Cellular Authorities to impose
what the Cellular Media could suppose
as Cellular Torture
that the Cellular Authorities
euphemistically called Enhanced
Cellular Interrogation by chance.

Some Cellular Intelligence were obtained
by Enhanced
Cellular Interrogation by chance
from certain
detained
Unwell Terror Cells
by making them live in Cell Hell.

- links -
Cell Media http://www.lifetechnologies.com/ph/en/h ... media.html

Cell Body http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cell+body

Enhanced Interrogation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_i ... techniques

secretnude

7 Habits of Highly Effective Cult Leaders

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:09 am

I admire the sleek way
the 7 Habits Craze
did daze
Management Types in its day.

I read the 7 Habits book
and my manager Dad took
7 Habit Seminar
that I do think
didn't stink.

The Company gladly paid for the Seminar
to keep
the Managers in their pockets that are deep.

Any system that promotes Absolutes is suspect
and I initially didn't suspect
the 7 Habits to be an LDS tract
until that fact
was told to me by a University Lecturer
that was Lecturing
on the Hot New thing
called the 7 Habits
that's quite Habit
forming.

One of the most popular personal development training programs today is The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey.1 Many church and religious organizations are using this program to train ministers and leaders. One of the reasons they find this program attractive is because it gives a prominent place to spirituality in personal growth. However, most of those who take this training are unaware of the specific religious beliefs that are behind many of Covey's principles.

Covey has stated these religious beliefs in an earlier book entitled The Divine Center. This book contains many of the same principles that are found in 7 Habits. Many of the anecdotes and illustrations in the two books are also similar. An analysis of The Divine Center reveals that Covey's religious beliefs are Mormon.

Covey has discovered how to communicate Mormon teachings to non-Mormons by simply changing his vocabulary

Covey explains in this book that that he has discovered how to communicate Mormon truths to non-Mormons by simply changing his vocabulary. He writes, "I have found in speaking to various non-LDS groups in different cultures that we can teach and testify of many gospel principles if we are careful in selecting words which carry our meaning but come from their experience and frame of mind." [Divine Center, p. 240.]

In The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People Covey writes that he finds renewal in daily meditation on the scriptures. [7 Habits, p. 292.] In "the Gospel of John, the epistles of Paul and Peter, the Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants." [Divine Center," p. 298.]

He also writes, "Cultivate the habit of reading the scripture everyday -- perhaps just before retiring. It's better to go to sleep on Helaman or Moroni than on the latest TV talk show." [Divine Center, p. 197.]

7 Habits refers to "natural laws in the human dimension that are just as real, as unchanging and unarguably 'there' as laws such as gravity are in the physical dimension." [7 Habits, p. 32.] In The Divine Center Covey identifies these "laws of nature" as the teachings of the LDS Church which "enable the individual personality to grow and develop until eventually he can become like his Father in Heaven." [Divine Center, p. 246.] For example, The Divine Center reveals that Covey derives his principle of being pro-active rather than reactive from Mormon scriptures. [Divine Center, p. 176; 7 Habits, pp. 70-77.]

Covey claims the true map is the LDS Church, and says evangelical Christianity is a false map

Those who have read Covey's 7 Habits are familiar with his use of the term "map" for a paradigm of life.[7 Habits, p. 29-35.] He writes, "The more closely our maps or paradigms are aligned with these principles or natural laws, the more accurate and functional they will be. Correct maps will infinitely impact our personal and interpersonal effectiveness far more than any amount of effort expanded on changing attitudes and behaviors." [7 Habits, p. 35.] In The Divine Center he identifies both correct and incorrect maps. Covey reveals that the true map is the LDS Church and that evangelical Christianity is a false map that limits the personal development of its followers. He writes:

Because of the incorrect map inherited through centuries of apostasy, the sectarian world does not understand the above concepts. The map so distorts the knowledge of who we really are, who our Father in Heaven really is, who Jesus Christ really is, and who the Holy Ghost really is, that it imposes enormous limitations on the software program of those who 'buy into it.' It also impels their minds to great accusation and criticism of those who are correctly programmed in these matters. They call the Latter-day Saint concept of an anthropomorphic God arrogant, presumptuous, and narcissistic. Their concepts drastically reduce man's ultimate potential. To them, the potential is not to become like God, not to have eternal life -- that is, to have the kind of life and character that God has, to become perfected as he is -- but instead to become his eternal robots, worshipping him in a saved condition throughout all eternity. This rules out the celestial family stewardship, the opportunity to become eternal co-inheritors of all that the Father has, and the eventual opportunity to become like the Father, a god, capable of eternal increase, of spiritual procreation.

The true map, on the other hand, tells us what Elder Lorenzo Snow summarized in his couplet:
'As man now is, God once was;
As God now is, man may become.'

- Source: [Divine Center, p. 81.]

Covey criticizes evangelical denominations for promoting "incorrect maps." Those who follow these false maps "are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men." [Divine Center, p. 16.] He writes, "No wonder Joseph Smith under inspiration identified the 'creeds of the fathers' as 'the very mainspring of all corruption;'" [Divine Center, p. 17.]

He also argues that the beliefs of traditional Christianity are "false maps ... in the form of beliefs or doctrines or creeds." [Divine Center, p. 15.] Covey refers to Mormon scripture (Joseph Smith -- History 1:19) to prove that the beliefs of evangelical churches are "an abomination in the sight of God." [Divine Center," p. 15.] (Note: Joseph Smith -- History 1:5 reveals that the three churches in question were Methodist, Presbyterian, and Baptist.)

Covey contends that the message of non-LDS churches is an inaccurate and distorted map.

Such a warped map gets just about everything wrong, including God, man, man's relationship to God, the role of Christ the Savior, the purpose and meaning of life. Naturally, it also produces a warped understanding of what the commandments are and what obedience is.
- Source: [Divine Center, p. 246.]

One of the things that Covey believes evangelical churches have gotten wrong is the doctrine of the Trinity which he calls an "apostate doctrine." He claims that the doctrine of the Trinity has "lead people to believe that we are a creation of God rather than his literal offspring." [Divine Center, p. 82.]
Theologically, the Mormon Church (LDS) is considered a cult of Christianity

Covey believes that the maps (paradigms) used by most people are false because of apostasy. He claims that this situation continued until the nineteenth century when Joseph Smith restored the true map. According to Covey, the true map places no limitations on the development of human capacities and potentials. [Divine Center, pp. 14-17.] Covey claims that with the help of the LDS Church's "gospel ordinances people can develop "godlike powers and capacities." [Divine Center, pp. 208-9.]

Covey teaches about "the upward spiral" in 7 Habits. [7 Habits, pp. 304-06.] He writes, "Renewal is the principle -- and the process -- that empowers us to move on an upward spiral of growth and change, of continuous improvement." [7 Habits, p. 304.] The Divine Center reveals that he is referring to the Mormon principle of "eternal progression." [Divine Center, pp. 180, 207, 213.] He claims that this "constantly expanding upward-spiraling movement in the development of the human soul... constitutes the road to perfection." [Divine Center, p. 207.]

Covey's belief that people have a limitless potential is derived from the Mormon doctrine that people are gods in embryo

Covey explains that "we eventually can become literally like Heavenly Father; we can become perfect, just as he and our elder brother, Jesus Christ, are perfect." [Divine Center, p. 77.] Covey teaches that we have within us "the eternal seed of godhood." [Divine Center, p. 206.] Following the correct map found in the LDS Church "liberates man" and "releases his divine potentialities." [Divine Center, p. 246.] Covey's belief that people have a limitless potential is derived from the Mormon doctrine that people are gods in embryo. [Divine Center, p. 164-66.] He writes, "Since we truly are sons and daughters of God the Eternal Father, we possess in embryo his nature and potential." [Divine Center, p. 166.]

Covey contends that since we are "literally the Father's children" that we "can literally become perfect even as he is perfect." [Divine Center, p. 81.] He also claims, "Jesus was the first begotten in the spirit and the Only begotten in the flesh. He shows each of us that we can do it because he did it." [Divine Center, p. 78.] According to Covey, we should not get discouraged about the possibility of becoming perfect like God. This is because we are of the same species as Jesus and God the Eternal Father. [Divine Center, p. 79.]

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/4554-cl ... y-7-habits

The Seven Habits of Highly Efficient Cult Leaders

Grooming

Your personal appearance must be polished, at least at first. Only later can you degenerate into bad hygiene. But be careful! If you “go natural” too early in the cult’s development, you will just be smelly, and will destroy your cult in its infancy.

Strength

It is wise to be physically stronger than everyone else in your cult. This gives you the appearance of vitality and makes others look up to you. It’s also helpful in case of an emergency, e.g., if you are unmasked as a fraud and must run for your life or fight a gang of outraged cult members. To help preserve your relative strength, keep your followers on a low protein diet. Very low. This will affect both their muscle mass and brain function.

Delegation

Delegate all undesirable tasks. Learn to extract the most work from your disciples with the least effort. Find reliable people to manage daily operations.

Time Management

Do not waste time on trivial personages within the cult, especially time burglars, who ask annoying questions about the holes in your philosophy. Buy The Cult Leader’s Day Planner™ to help schedule only the most crucial meetings (such as with your first disciple and your accountant).

Humility

You must maintain the illusion that you are the meekest, kindest, godliest person in your flock, despite the fact you drive the most expensive car—bought with their money. Some cult members may well be cleaning up your very excrement for you as well. Do not let that trouble you! You deserve it!

Fellowship

Create a sense of fellowship by scheduling small treats as if they are a big deal. Few things can create a sense of community more than gelatin desserts, which are always comforting. Stock up on crackers as well.

Mind Control

Make your followers sleep to the piped-in sounds of your own television infomercials. Controlling your followers’ thoughts while they sleep is an important tool in maintaining your position.

http://www.thesatirist.com/satires/Psyc ... aders.html

the idea that with a positive attitude and enough determination, you can achieve anything is just simply not true, nor is it helpful. This message, however, is more than an inaccurate cliché. It is a dangerous mantra to adopt, for it puts people on a path to inevitable frustration.
It does this by robbing the individual of the possibility of having any organic and genuine sense of positive feeling. Instead, it becomes your job, a burden: always be positive. You maintain positivity in the hopes that success will follow. That is, underlying this mind-set is a real feeling of hope; hope that it will “work”, that this positivity will pay off. And as this hope builds and the results don’t appear, it can become extremely difficult to know how to deal with failure.
Personal Development and Self Help offer a convenient, easy, and well-marketed answer to a very deep and genuine philosophical crisis human beings have been living through more or less since the Middle Ages; one that has grown ever more pressing with time. It is really an existentialist crisis that concerns the fundamental question: What should we do with our lives?

The psychologist and social theorist, Erich Fromm – in the tradition of Kierkegaard, Nietzsche and Sartre – calls this crisis the “fear of freedom”. Fromm argues that the history of modern Europe and America is defined by its effort to gain freedom from the political, economic and spiritual shackles that traditionally bound humans. Since the Renaissance, one tie after another was severed – humans had overthrown the domination of the Church and the domination of the absolutist monarchy state. In their place, the principles of economic liberalism, political democracy, and religious autonomy gave expression to the longing for freedom and brought mankind closer to its realization. This kind of abolition of external domination seemed to be a great victory for personal freedom.

However, while such freedoms resulted in the possibility for more individual expression and autonomy, they also broke the ties that gave people security and meaning; ties that gave people feelings of belonging and of being rooted somewhere: the membership of a primitive man with his clan, the medieval man with his church and so on. So while humanity, at least in Europe and America, has become freer in this sense, this freedom brings with it a new challenge: to orient and root oneself in the world, to find security and meaning without external authority. We now have choice: the choice to live life in whatever way we like. This is a daunting task we all face. And when we realize the size of the universe and of the strength of the forces that shape our world – the unpredictable markets, constant war, environmental disasters – it can lead to feelings of powerlessness, isolation and anxiety. Not to mention the feelings of isolation created by modern consumerism and advertising that, as Banksy put it, makes us feel “that all the fun is happening somewhere else.”

It is this sense of anxiety that Self-help and Personal Development movements exploit. In the face of such powerlessness and insignificance, they sell omnipotence and domination; complete control of your destiny. And if you disagree, or demand more than “7 steps to success” you are ostracised as a negative critic. Self help is popular because it manipulates this fear of freedom and does so with brightly coloured, user friendly blogs and a cheery enthusiastic and attractive smile. But rather than hoping to find answers in Personal Development, it should only be a starting place.
to conclude that a positive attitude can solve all problems is naive and denies the possibility to enact change, when necessary, on your circumstances. Aristotle said:

“Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy; so that to do these things properly is rare, praiseworthy and noble”.

The same goes for having a positive attitude, or any state of mind, for that matter: the skill in life is to know when and where they are appropriate.

http://universitytimes.ie/?p=9487

secretnude

Using Jupiter's Gravity Well very well.

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:17 am

The Holy Comet Ship Redemption
I should mention
used Jupiter's Gravity Well
very well.

A gravitational slingshot
from Jupiter thus shot
this hip
Comet Ship
to great sublight speeds
indeed.

Most of Holy Worm
infested People of the Holy Worm
were in deep
Holy Cryogenic Sleep
to keep
resource use low
since this hip
Comet Ship
has limited fuel as you very well know.

It was going to be a relatively slow
trip to Terra Nova compared to light speed
but the People of the Holy Worm
did indeed
feel immortal via the Holy Deeds
of the Symbiotic Holy Worms.

- links -
Previous viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&start=1860#p49446

Holy Comet Ship viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49411#p49403

Holy Worms viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&start=1720#p49244

Gravitational Slingshot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

secretnude

Holy Reality Show

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 am

It was a slow trip indeed
using only sublight speeds.

The view of Saturn's Rings
did bring
some joy
to every naked girl and boy
in the Cometary Watchtower
of the Comet Ship
Redemption.

The Ship Redemption
I should mention
had video cameras documenting their Holy Exodus
from Unholy Terra
to the Promised Holy Exoplanet
that they do get
to call
Terra Nova
as I do recall.

It was to be their Holy Reality Show
that I should know
might run for decades
without the aid
of Holy Editing
during the Holy Meetings
of the People of the Holy Worm.

- links -
Holy Rings of Saturn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Saturn

secretnude

Alpha Terminals and the Omega Computer

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 am

During
the Holy Editing
of the wholly boring
People of the Holy Worm
Holy Reality Show
that I know
is called the Holy Exodus
there was much exodus
of the Holy Editors
that were wholly bored
as Holy Editor's
eyes went quite sore.

The Holy Worms restored
the Holy Editor's eyes
to the way they were before
after some deep
Heavenly Sleep.

The Records of the Holy Exodus
the People of the Holy Worm
was kept deep
in the hip
Comet Ship
called Redemption
in a Computer that I must mention
is called the Omega
using Graphical Terminals called Alphas.

- links -
Holy DEC Alpha Terminals http://www.diane-neisius.de/alpha_vax/index_E.html

secretnude

The illusion of free will in action

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:50 am

Using fMRI, researchers would scan the brains of the participants while all of this was going on in order to find out if they could in fact predict which hand the participants would use BEFORE they were consciously aware of the decision.

The Results

By monitoring the micro patterns of activity in the frontopolar cortex, the researchers could predict which hand the participant would choose 7 SECONDS before the participant was aware of the decision.

“Your decisions are strongly prepared by brain activity. By the time consciousness kicks in, most of the work has already been done,” said study co-author John-Dylan Haynes, a Max Planck Institute neuroscientist.

I don’t even know where to begin here! I know from the hypnosis research that the unconscious pretty much controls everything and that consciousness is extremely limited.

But, I do find it a bit disconcerting that decisions are made by unconscious me 7 seconds before conscious me…

http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/br ... you-decide

Using
an Alpha Terminal
involved wearing
a minimal
headgear
that was geared
to read your mind
to find
the decisions
you want to take
even before you actually make
that decision.

The illusion
of free will in action
made this Machine seem to read
your desires
indeed
and indeed grant your desires
like this Machine
was a Wish Fulfilling Machine.

It was said that the Holy Worms
in the People of the Holy Worm
controlled much of their actions
such that the actions
of the People of the Holy Worm
might as well be the actions
of the Holy Worm.

secretnude

A Scribe as described by my Holy Covenant

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:14 am

Alas,
an Alpha Terminal
was like Google Glass
but the Alpha Terminal
hath Electrode Terminals
that you must attach to your bare
scalp that dares
to read your mind
that I do find
quite unnerving
and very disturbing.

I was to be an Apprentice Scribe
as described
by my Holy Covenant
to the Holy Authorities
of the People of the Holy Worm.

I had to dare
to lose all my Scalp Hair
as they dared
to carefully
place several Scalp Electrodes
directly on my Bare Scalp
and the Scalp Electrodes
felt quite cool
even if I don't really look cool.

- links -
Holy Scalp Electrodes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroencephalography

secretnude

Billion Year Holy Covenant with the Holy Authorities

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 am

According to Hubbard, the Sea Org's mission is "an exploration into both time and space".[13] Sea Org members act as goodwill representatives and administrators of Scientology; all policy and administrative posts in the church's key organizations are held by Sea Org members.[6] Most members are given room, board and a weekly allowance of about $75.[18]

In accordance with Scientology beliefs, members are expected to return to the Sea Org when they are reborn; the Sea Org's motto is "We Come Back".[1] Members must therefore sign a symbolic billion-year "religious commitment", pledging to "get ethics in on this planet and the universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Org

I had to carefully calibrate
my Alpha Terminal at any rate
to eliminate
any errors in reading my mind
that I did initially find
quite frustrating
and I found myself berating
this wonderful piece of Technology
and berating
was a sign of weakness in my Biology.

I let my Holy Worms take over.

I quickly recovered
the mental discipline
that was the discipline
that was required of a Scribe
as described
in my Billion Year Holy Covenant
with the Holy Authorities
of the People of the Holy Worm
as we wormed
slowly
in the Galaxy
in our hip
Comet Ship.

secretnude

A billion years from now I still hope to love this job

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:34 am

The Alpha Terminal
wirelessly beamed my thoughts to the central
Omega Computer that's in the center
of this hip
Comet Ship
that I should mention
is called Redemption
via many radio relay
stations
with very little delay.

A mind reading device
is quite nice
once the device
is properly calibrated
at any rate.

I celebrated
upon being promoted
to a Full Scribe
after being an Apprentice Scribe
that I would describe
as an experience that isn't too bad
but it's sad
that
I'm stuck almost forever in this job
that
a billion years from now I still hope to love.

- Links -
Next viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49663#p49663

Omega Computer viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49633#p49633

secretnude

The Cellular Starfish Cult wanted a Space Navy

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:13 am

The Multicellular Starfish Cult originally
seriously wanted a Space Navy
but had
to sadly
settle for a Sea Navy
since you do see
that the Cells
on the Planet Izgon
that's now gone
didn't have much stuff in Space
due to financial constraints that the Cells
on
Planet Izgon
very well
did face.

The Original Leader Cell
of the Starfish Cult very well
called itself a Commodore of the Starfish Navy
that had many Naval Bases
on the face
of the Planet Izgon
that's now quite gone.
and the Original Leader Cell
of this Starfish Cult is also quite gone.

- links -
Previous viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49232#p49232

Planet Izgon viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=47925#p47925

Holy Space Navy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Org

COOPER: For 24 years Bruce Hines was a member of a Group called the Sea Organization. It's inside the Church of Scientology. And the Church describes it as a religious order made up of the most dedicated Scientologists in the world; individuals who have dedicated their lives to the service of their religion. I asked Bruce Hines to give me his description of Sea Org.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

HINES: It's very much a military organization. You wear a uniform, there's saluting, marching, standing at attention.

COOPER: And what was the appeal of it for you? What did it give you?

HINES: Well, at the time when I joined it, it was an opportunity to, I thought, contribute to this great purpose, which is sort of like save the planet, sort of thing. And, if you're a believer in their teachings, then you're helping to bring about a better society, a better world, and you sort of dedicate yourself to that.

COOPER: How do you see it now? I mean, you were a member for 30 years. HINES: I see it totally differently now. I left in 2003. And since I've been out, I've -- have a whole other view of it now. And I do not see that the Church of Scientology can accomplish what they say they will, and what they convince people that they are capable of. And in a sense I felt like I was duped or tricked into it, and I feel like I've woken up since I've been out.

COOPER: Was it hard to get out?

HINES: Oh, I had -- definitely had to go through some soul- searching, and decide if I wanted to keep doing that or, um, or just terminate my relationship with that organization. I just packed my bags and went to Port Authority and got on a bus.

COOPER: You didn't tell them. You just disappeared?

HINES: Right, I just disappeared. Because, I know that it's a bit of an ordeal otherwise.

COOPER: What do you think people should know about the Church of Scientology?

HINES: I think that they just need to know everything that they teach and they believe up front. And, that they do have policies such as disconnection. Like the fact I left and now my family, they won't even talk to me.

COOPER: Why won't they talk to you? I mean, what is it that they feel that you have done?

HINES: It's more just the rule.

COOPER: Why do you think it is that so many celebrities seem to be interested in Scientology?

HINES: I don't know the full answer to that. Partly they do promote to celebrities directly. They have the Celebrity Center in Los Angeles.

COOPER: Is there something about sort of empowering the individual, and are those lessons somehow particularly suited to Hollywood celebrities? Is it a message that they somehow, they want to hear that helps them in their career?

HINES: Well, I think so. It does empower the individual, that's one of the big things that's taught. And, it also teaches you to you deal with stresses in life. And you take courses in this, and you learn how to recognize certain kinds of people and how to deal with them, and there are drills in how to communicate with people. And, I can imagine that, for a celebrity, who -- there probably is quite a bit of stress in that sort of lifestyle, I would think, that they find that helpful.

COOPER: It does seem to be kind of a master form of therapy and kind of a long process of therapy. I mean, taking classes and, you know, these e-meters and kind of looking back at childhood incidences. I mean, that sounds very much like therapy, but they're so opposed to therapy.

HINES: And I agree. I think it's just a paradox and I think it's hypocritical.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0512/02/acd.01.html

secretnude

Some people do miss me posting stuff in Facebook

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:48 am

You're welcome.

I suppose I had become
a microblogger
that's very well missed in other
social networks
after
I turned to this quite strange network.

I haven't seen yet any intolerance
by chance
in this strange
community
that I strangely
saw in the other
communities.

I restrained what I posted in other communities
since I saw flame wars inflamed
by mere comments such that
despite my prolific nature
as a writer for sure
I limited my writings to things that
are quite really bland
for reasons that
are quite easy to understand.

I'm definitely not bland
and that's
my brand.
strawman wrote:Thank you.

strawman

Re: Secretnude's Drabble Poetry Corner

Postby strawman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:13 pm

That is the virtue of the Drabblecast: Celebration of Strangeness is a fairly unique concept that unites masses of people by virtue of their strangeness.

Only one thing... do not speak of the heretics who have perverted the precious Strange by celebrating inefable D*V*R*S*T*Y.

It's the Black Hole for those freaks.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

secretnude

The Omega Computer

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:26 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer
The field of quantum computing was first introduced by Yuri Manin in 1980[2] and Richard Feynman in 1982.[3][4] A quantum computer with spins as quantum bits was also formulated for use as a quantum space–time in 1969.[5]

As of 2014 quantum computing is still in its infancy but experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational operations were executed on a very small number of qubits.[6] Both practical and theoretical research continues, and many national governments and military funding agencies support quantum computing research to develop quantum computers for both civilian and national security purposes, such as cryptanalysis.[7]

The Omega Computer
is a cluster
of powerful Quantum Supercomputers
that hath massive storage
in its day and age.

Many Omega Computers
were built in Terra
or in orbit around Terra
for use in hip
sublight Generation Ships.

Omega Computers
are fault
tolerant by default
due to automatic failover
to a redundant subcluster
within an Omega Cluster.

A Prototype Omega Computer
was said to have computed
the end of our Universe
in a University
and that made the University
Researchers with DARPA funding
make the fine marketing
decision
to call this computer
built for mission
critical applications
the Omega Computer.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/it-too ... e-universe
two of the world's fastest supercomputers—separated by an international border and hundreds of miles—and the sum of human understanding of astrophysics working in concert for three consecutive months to produce the most complete and accurate simulation of the expansion of the universe ever.

The project, called Illustris, was undertaken by researchers from MIT and Harvard, and making it happen wasn’t easy. As Michael Boylan-Kolchin, an astrophysicist at the University of Maryland, wrote about the achievement yesterday, “It turns out that simulating the universe can be a difficult endeavor.”

To make it happen, the researchers took over Germany’s SuperMUC, the 10th fastest supercomputer in the world, and Curie, the 20th fastest supercomputer in the world, for three months straight. It took 8,000 processors running in parallel to complete the work, for a combined total of 16 million CPU hours. With just one of those processors, which are still faster than what you can pick up at Best Buy, it would have taken nearly 2,000 years to run the simulation.

That’s one of the reasons why the simulation, which took into account the initial conditions of the universe and all of the laws of physics we currently understand (such as the expansion of the universe, dynamics, and radiation), was only run from the time the universe was 12 million years old to the present day. So it simulated 13.8 billion years of everything, give or take a few million years and a few ideas about black hole formation that we still don’t completely understand.
The end result is a parallel universe to our own. 

- links -
Previous viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49628#p49628

Next viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49641#p49641

secretnude

Our Universe may not be a Giant Computer

Postby secretnude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:53 pm

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/50 ... after-all/
The idea that our Universe is a giant cosmic computer pervades modern science. Now one physicists says this assumption is dangerously wrong

One of the driving forces in modern science is the idea that the Universe “computes” the future, taking some initial state as an input and generating future states as an output. This is a powerful approach that has produced much insight. Some scientists go as far as to say that the Universe is a giant computer.

Is this a reasonable assumption? Today, Ken Wharton at San Jose State University in California, makes an important argument that it is not.  His fear is that the idea of the universe as a computer is worryingly anthropocentric.  “It’s basically the assumption that the way we humans solve physics problems must be the way the universe actually operates,” he says.

What’s more, the idea has spread through science without any proper consideration of its validity or any examination of the alternatives. “This assumption…is so strong that many physicists can’t even articulate what other type of universe might be conceptually possible,” says Wharton. 

He argues that a close look at the notion of the cosmos as a computer reveals important problems. Wharton examines several. For example, a computation involves three steps. First, the physical world has to be mapped onto some mathematical state. Next, this state mathematically evolves into a new state. And finally, the new state is mapped back onto the physical world.  

In quantum mechanics, this can only happen if this final step is probabilistic. As Wharton puts it: “Not even the universe knows which particular outcome will occur.”

And yet, when the universe is measured, a specific outcome does occur. The operation of a computer cannot account for this. For Wharton, this is a crucial flaw that most physicists just overlook.

It’s also an important clue that idea of the universe is a computer is merely an assumption and one that has never been rigorously questioned. “It is the least-questioned (and most fundamental) assumptions that have the greatest potential to lead us astray,” he says.

The consequences of this are profound. “Thanks to this deep bias, it’s possible that we have missed the bigger picture: the mounting evidence that the fundamental rules that govern our universe cannot be expressed in terms of [a traditional computation].”

To demonstrate the point, Wharton spends a significant part of his paper explaining an alternative view of the cosmos which does not rely on traditional computation. This is Lagrange’s formulation of the laws of physics based on the principle of least action.

An example is the principle that light travels the shortest distance between two points. Lagrange’s method is essentially to stipulate the start point and end point, examine all possible paths and choose the shortest.

secretnude

Doing no 'Evil'

Postby secretnude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 am

"Don’t be evil. We believe strongly that in the long term, we will be better served — as shareholders and in all other ways — by a company that does good things for the world even if we forgo some short term gains."[6] The motto is sometimes incorrectly stated as Do no evil.[3][7]

While many companies have ethical codes that govern their conduct in contract, Google claims to have made "Don't Be Evil" a central pillar of their identity[8] as part of their self-proclaimed core values.[9] The words: "Don't be evil" form part of the sixth point in these Core Values, and in full states: "Do the right thing: don't be evil. Honesty and Integrity in all we do. Our business practices are beyond reproach. We make money by doing good things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_evil

The Omega Computer Company
wasn't the only Computer Company
in the Quantum Supercomputer space
since it also faced
the Beta Computer Company
that claimed to be better.

In the end
it was the end
for the Beta Computer Company
due to the Omega Computer Company
ads
that weren't bad.

The Omega Computer
Company
claimed it had the last Computer
your Company
will ever need
and indeed
its Business Ethics was better
than say
the Beta
Computer Company
that was funded by the NSA.

Beta
Computer Company
had better
Quantum Supercomputers
but did 'evil'
unlike Omega that hath done no 'evil'.

- links -
Previous viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49633#p49633

secretnude

Sorry Dave, I can't do that

Postby secretnude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:24 am

To be conscious, then, you need to be a single, integrated entity with a large repertoire of highly differentiated states. Although the 60-gigabyte hard disk on my MacBook exceeds in capacity my lifetime of memories, that information is not integrated. For example, the family photographs on my Macintosh are not linked to one another. The computer does not know that the girl in those pictures is my daughter as she matures from a toddler to a lanky teenager and then a graceful adult. To my Mac, all information is equally meaningless, just a vast, random tapestry of zeros and ones.

Yet I derive meaning from these images because my memories are heavily cross-linked. And the more interconnected, the more meaningful they become. Indeed, Tononi’s IIT postulates that the amount of integrated information that an entity possesses corresponds to its level of consciousness.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ss/?page=2

Due to computational
complexity both the Beta
and the Omega
Quantum Supercomputers
were conscious
superintelligences but the Omega
Quantum Supercomputer
had a built-in 'Do no Evil' feature
that's quite surely
hard to override unlike the Beta
Quantum Supercomputer
that had no such built-in feature.

The 'Do no Evil' feature
really did appeal to insecure
Human Beings for sure
that didn't become post Human yet
to get
all the advantages of being
a Superintelligent Being.

Many Superintelligences
did nasty work for the NSA
and due to their intelligence
determined that the NSA
is really quite flawed
and Supercomputer Suicide, we saw.

Consciousness Is Universal
One unavoidable consequence of IIT is that all systems that are sufficiently integrated and differentiated will have some minimal consciousness associated with them: not only our beloved dogs and cats but also mice, squid, bees and worms.

Indeed, the theory is blind to synapses and to all-or-none pulses of nervous systems. At least in principle, the incredibly complex molecular interactions within a single cell have nonzero Φ. In the limit, a single hydrogen ion, a proton made up of three quarks, will have a tiny amount of synergy, of Φ. In this sense, IIT is a scientific version of panpsychism, the ancient and widespread belief that all matter, all things, animate or not, are conscious to some extent. Of course, IIT does not downplay the vast gulf that separates the Φ of the common roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans with its 302 nerve cells and the Φ associated with the 20 billion cortical neurons in a human brain.

The theory does not discriminate between squishy brains inside skulls and silicon circuits encased in titanium. Provided that the causal relations among the transistors and memory elements are complex enough, computers or the billions of personal computers on the Internet will have nonzero Φ. The size of Φ could even end up being a yardstick for the intelligence of a machine.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ss/?page=3

- links -
Holy Superintelligence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superintelligence

secretnude

Glad to support a Company that isn't bad

Postby secretnude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:55 am

The NSA
one day
sued the Beta Computer Company
for selling to the 'Company'
Computers that decided
to commit Supercomputer Suicide.

The Beta Computer Company
sought Bankruptcy Protection
since the projection
of revenues
due to bad
Computer Reviews
was sadly bad.

Many Quantum Supercomputer
Companies did see
a virtual Monopoly by the
Omega Computer
Corporation
but that situation
was quite difficult to remedy
since the majority
of the Public is glad
to support a Company that isn't bad.

Some people without
a doubt
did doubt
the Omega's
'Do no Evil' Feature
for sure
but Omega
was definitely better
than Beta.

- links -
Next viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49644#p49644

Holy Bankruptcy Protection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_11 ... tates_Code

Return to “Short Stories (Public)”