Secretnude's Drabble Poetry Corner

Short Stories available for anyone to read
Forum rules
These posts are public, and will be searched by Google. If you want to maintain "First Worldwide Rights" on your story, post in the Short Stories (Member Only) forum. Story authors still retain ownership and copyright, either way.
secretnude

Worm Burgers

Post by secretnude » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:28 am

I remember one of our good
local burger chains
getting maimed
by food rumors that aren't good.

The untrue Worm Burger claims
seem to claim
victims worldwide
and PR does what it can to set aside
rumors that do hurt
but in the long run the burger chain
survived
relatively unhurt
and much alive.

The net
does get
us good ways
today to check
what was hard to check
in the good old days
when a vile rumor has to be dispelled
by a spell
cast
by a Television Broadcast
or an article in a Broadsheet
read in the Streets.
As McDonald's CEO Ray Kroc noted at the time, the rumor didn't even make sense from a financial standpoint: Rather than saving the company money, the idea of using of worm meat as a "cheap filler" was nonsensical because worms were much more expensive than beef
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburger.asp
"Be Authentically Weird and be Weird
enough to be in a Category of One."

"It's time to shake up staid traditions
in favor of strange experimentation."

secretnude

Making an economical Worm Burger

Post by secretnude » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:50 am

A Business Worm
enhanced
Businessman
by chance
asked Wormy
Scientists to make Worms
taste like Beef
and be really cheap.

The Cheap Wormy Beef
made its way
to the supply chain
they say
of several Big Burger Chains
that I will not name.

The USDA
they say
tested the DNA
of some Burger Patties
that weren't at all
100 percent pure Beef
Patties
as I do recall.

I did eat the Wormy Beef
that did taste great
and of late
a relabeling of Wormy Beef
as Worm Meat
that
quite fit to eat
made headlines that
was hard to defeat.

- Links -
Business Worm viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&start=1800#p49369

Wormy Scientists viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49342#p49342

secretnude

A Worm Burger Convert

Post by secretnude » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:12 am

I was grossed out
without a doubt
when I first learned of the Worm Meat
that I unwittingly did eat
but at least it taste great
but I did hate
the initial deception
that I should mention
was made by a Wormy Businessman
because he felt he can.

That Wormy Businessman
was in jail
for mislabelling food
that isn't good
but he went out on bail
and he bailed
out of this Country
for good.

The Worm Meat
that's quite good to eat
is now labeled Neobeef
that's much more cheap
than real beef
and healthier too
in my view.

- Links -
Next viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5327&p=49496#p49496

strawman

Re: Secretnude's Drabble Poetry Corner

Post by strawman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:21 am

Irony:

When I was a little buy, I read Horatio Alger stories in school. The values schools sought to impart were that hard work, frugality, and delayed gratification always produce a wonderful outcome.

Come to think of it, the insurance industry is pretty much based on the same values. The magic of compound interest...

But those lessons have been lost on a society the depends on entitlements. They are being practiced in China, though. The Party figured out that if they could make the people act like Horatio Alger, the people would be like a maple tree, and the Party could be the syrup bucket. At a trillion dollars a year in loans, they will just buy the world, and foreclose on it.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

secretnude

God will help us

Post by secretnude » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Due to Confucianism
the Chinese have a nice work ethic
as compared to ethnic
Filipinos that's influenced by Catholicism.

Confucius stressed self reliance
by chance
as compared to reliance
on God
that seems to be the Filipino thing.

Over reliance
on 'God'
gave the Filipinos the common
expression
'Bahala na' or God
will take care of all our problems
but that just compounds societal problems.

A dose of the Protestant Work Ethic
like what Americans have
or the Confucian Work Ethic
like what the Chinese have
might be a fix but the abovementioned
is deeply ingrained
in many Filipino Brains.
Bahala Na: Bahala Na translates literally as "leave it up to God (Bathala)" and it is used as an expression, almost universally, in Filipino culture. Filipinos engage in the bahala na attitude as a culture-influenced adaptive coping strategy when faced with challenging situations.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_psychology

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Ironic, that expression, "Protestant Work Ethic", seeing as how the Protestant Reformation's rubric was "Faith, not works".
The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism (German: Die protestantische Ethik und der Geist des Kapitalismus) is a book written by Max Weber, a German sociologist, economist, and politician. Begun as a series of essays, the original German text was composed in 1904 and 1905, and was translated into English for the first time by Talcott Parsons in 1930.[1] It is considered a founding text in economic sociology and sociology in general.

In the book, Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated mass action that influenced the development of capitalism. This idea is also known as the "Protestant Ethic thesis."[2]
It may be a bit of cultural imperialism that Weber's conclusions would form the basis for the notion that Catholic latinos don't work as hard and aren't as responsible. Any farmer in these parts will tell you Mexicans work twice as hard as anyone else. They have an impressive work ethic. Weber writes from a Calvinist Protestant perspective, analyzing an industrial revolution that was centered in (largely Protestant) northern Europe and New England.
Seems to me Bahala Na is the Filipino equivalent of the arabic ان شاء الله , or English expression 'God willing''.
If that's true, ascribing the prosperity of the country to this seems a bit like claiming that saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes means you are less likely to take cold medicine.

Spoiler:

secretnude

Nonimperialist National Hero Jose Rizal on Lazy Filipinos

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 am

The perception
that we Filipinos
are lazy is common
and even the Greatest Filipino
made that observation.

Italy
is a nice case study
with Northern Italy
beating Southern Italy
in productivity
and I had an Italian friend
personally confirm this trend
in the end.

The Cold Climate
Advantage at any rate
maybe eroded by fine
air-conditioning that's Divine
but we can't yet Climate Control
to control
for climatic variables
that lead to variable
productivity in an Economic
Sense.

Economics,
I sense
is quite a Dismal Science
but it's a Science
like any other that self-corrects
to end up more correct.
Herman Cortez and Salcedo, nor more prudent than Legazpi, nor more manly than Morga, nor more prudent than Colin and Gaspar de San Agustin, our contemporary writers we say find that the native is a creature something more than a monkey but much less than a man, an anthropoid, dull-witted, stupid, timid, dirty, cringing, ill-clothed, indolent, lazy brainless, immoral, etc. etc.
To what is this retrogression due?  Is it the delectable civilization, the religion of salvation of the friars, called of Jesus Christ by euphemism, that has produced this miracle that has atrophied his brain, paralyzed his heart and made of the man this sort of vicious animal that the writers depict?
Alas!  The whole misfortune of the present Filipinos consists in that they have become only half-way brutes.  The Filipino is convinced that to get happiness it is necessary for him to lay aside his dignity as a rational creature, to attend mass, to believe what is told him, to pay what is demanded of him, to pay and forever to pay; to work, suffer, and be silent, without aspiring any thing, without aspiring to know or even to understand Spanish, without separating himself from his carabao, as the priests shamelessly say, without protesting against any injustice, against any arbitrary action, against an assault, against an insult; that is, not to have heart, brain, or spirit; a creature with arms and a purse of gold. . .
http://joserizal.info/Writings/Other/indolence.htm
1861, the year of Italy's birth, unification pioneer Massimo d'Azeglio declared: "We have made Italy; now we must make Italians." To what extent this task been accomplished remains, more than 150 years later, unclear. The disparity between wealthy north and poorer south is one of the country's most impervious and worrying problems.

According to the Bank of Italy, GDP per person is more than 40% lower in the south than in the centre and north – a situation that has endured for the past 30 years and has only worsened with the current recession. Unemployment, while on the rise throughout, has become particularly acute in the Mezzogiorno, the southern regions, particularly among young people and women.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/f ... with-italy
Weber said that Protestants, unlike Catholics and believers in other gods, had become detached from magic. The fruit of their disenchantment was capitalism. Weber was definitely onto something.

Take my wife. A fiercely committed Catholic, she believes in magic (miracles) and is always trying to stop me working because all that matters in life is family and children—and salvation which is achieved not by hard work, but only by the confession to a priest of one’s sins and by drinking Christ’s blood and eating his body at Holy Mass.

Email editors@takimag.com to buy additional rights.
http://takimag.com/article/the_holy_rom ... z34l64UVPk

secretnude

Why Protestants and East Asians seem to fare better

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:00 am

Confucianism is not a religion, since there are no Confucian deities and no teachings about the afterlife. Confucius himself was a staunch supporter of ritual, however, and for many centuries there were state rituals associated with Confucianism. Most importantly, the Confucian tradition was instrumental in shaping Chinese social relationships and moral thought. Thus even without deities and a vision of salvation, Confucianism plays much the same role as religion does in other cultural contexts.
http://www.patheos.com/Library/Confucianism.html

Aspiring
for something
better in this life
than the afterlife
is the effect of the Calvinist Thinking
that God already made up his mind.

Hence we find
good works out of the picture
for sure.

Confucianism is more of this life
than the afterlife
unlike Catholicism.

We need more aspiring
entrepreneurs
but being
entrepreneurial
is largely discouraged
rather than encouraged
up to day
let us say
with most Filipino Parents
that still apparently
want their kids
and I don't kid
to ironically work for Filipino-Chinese
Entrepreneurs
that form the bulk of our Entrepreneurs.

Our richest man is a nice
Chinese.
Henry Sy was born to a poor family in Xiamen, China on December 25, 1923. He is the son of Henry H. Sy. He immigrated to the Philippines and got his start by selling rejected and overrun shoes from Tondo.[3]

He completed his secondary education in a school now known as Chiang Kai Shek College [4] and earned his Associate of Arts degree in Commercial Studies at Far Eastern University in 1950.[5]
In 1958, Sy established a small shoe store in Quiapo, Manila that marked the establishment of SM Prime Holdings.[6] In November 1972, the small shoe store became SM Quiapo, SM's first standalone department store.

On December 25, 1985, he established his first SM Supermall, SM City North EDSA.[7]

He is the Philippines' richest man, gaining $5 billion in 2010, amid the global financial crisis. The huge gain was due to his holding company, SM Investments Corporation, which has interests in Banco de Oro, inter alia. Forbes magazine's 2008 list of 40 wealthiest Filipinos, revealed the Sy family's net worth was $6.2 billion. Earlier, he was the second wealthiest individual in the Philippines, next to Lucio Tan, and (as of 2010) 201st in the world.

Sy is considered a tai-pan.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Sy

secretnude

"Bahala na" attitude is quite immobilizing

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:58 am

strawman wrote: Seems to me Bahala Na is the Filipino equivalent of the arabic ان شاء الله , or English expression 'God willing''.
If that's true, ascribing the prosperity of the country to this seems a bit like claiming that saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes means you are less likely to take cold medicine.
Bahala Na is a phrase Filipinos use most often. It can mean”living it all up to God”, “come what may”, “whatever will be will be”, and the list goes on. It is a way of life, an attitude, a perspective. It is embedded in the Filipino culture and it will never go away. It is not for everyone, especially to those who likes to be in control at all times.
http://www.bahalananurseblog.com/p/blog-page_12.html

The "Bahala na" attitude
is an attitude
that's quite immobilizing
and very fatalistic.

"Bahal na" based on the probabilistic
assumption that you
can't do anything
to improve your
lot in life and hence you
bring
in the fine
plea for Divine
intervention
that I should mention
is rare to non-existent
to the extent
that most objective observers
do observe.

I do observe
this attitude a lot
and it may indeed be the lot
of poor Catholics to suffer
in this life
for the rewards of an afterlife
but what if there's no afterlife
and what's the point of that suffering?

secretnude

Walang Himala = No Miracles

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 am

Himala is the story of Elsa, a barrio lass whose visions of the Virgin Mary change her life and cause a sensation hysteria in a poor, isolated northern village in the midst of drought. The film is centred on the issues of religious faith and faithlessness, morality, and truth.[7] Elsa, in her speech on the hill, delivered the film's (and Aunor's) most famous line:

"Waláng himalà! Ang himalà ay nasa puso ng tao, nasa puso nating lahat! Tayo ang gumagawâ ng mga himalà! Tayo ang gumagawâ ng mga sumpâ at ng mga diyos...""
("There are no miracles! Miracles are in people's hearts, in all our hearts! We are the ones who make miracles! We are the ones who make curses, and gods...")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himala

The more naturalistic
the 'Religion' the less belief in magic
there is and hence we rely on ourselves
rather than magical elves
or Gods
that to me
belong to the
same category
of mostly allegory.

If miracles
do exist in subjective form
then the poor Catholics better be informed
of the form
that miracles
mostly take
and there are many 'fake'
miracles.

Some people think that fake
miracles
are fake
prophets
that gets
us close to the end times
but we had many times
in the past encountered such false
prophets
and we didn't get
the end times
quite yet.
T B Joshua was in Ghana, he performed 20 fake miracles through the connivance of his Ghanaian lackey, Michael Lathbridge. Those 20 Ghanaians are now dead, and Kayode owes it a duty to all Ghanaians to tell us about how those miracles were manipulated, and if he doesn't, it means he was lying. He was part of those criminals who manipulated the miracles, so that T B Joshua could be seen as, " The Great Power of God." Acts 8:10. If Kayode played no part in those sham miracles, he must let us know. If he did, but is now repentant, that is okay, and the Lord would forgive him, but if he wouldn't elaborate in order to cover his own crime, then he should tell Ghanaians he lied about those fake miracles.

Furthermore, I would encourage Ghanaians to check the blog, TBJoshuawatch on Wordpress, to follow the discussions impartially, and to make their own decisions. As for the other blog, called WatchingTBJoshua, it is the very mouthpiece of TBJ, where they twist the truth and mix lies with deceit to deceive people. Just check how they distorted the story on, " Tell Ghanaians T B Joshua is a false Prophet." They're just a pack of lackeys working to prop up a false prophet, and they're just as guilty as the false prophet T B Joshua himself. I don't care about T B Joshua or anyone for that matter, but I do care for the truth and want my fellow Ghanaians to wake up to the deceptions of our times, so they stop being deceived. It is time everybody begin to read and learn their Bibles !

We live in the endtimes, and our Lord Jesus has already warned us that, THERE SHALL BE MANY FALSE PROPHETS WHO WOULD TRY TO DECEIVE EVEN THE VERY ELECT. Matt 24:11,24. Yes, the many false prophets are here in Ghana already, and we don't need any more from Nigeria and even from America or wherever they come from !
http://www.modernghana.com/news/392934/ ... oshua.html

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:30 am

Interesting.
I've heard the same conjecture about Hindus. Certainly there is a high correlation of superstition and ignorance, Santeria being a prime example. And yet, I and many people I know are Christians who are well educated and not superstitious.
I read an article today about another epidemiology study from Harvard purporting to show a correlation between red meat and cancer. Problem with such studies is they begin with the conclusion they want to reach. So people who eat lots of red meat also are more likely to smoke. Which activity causes the cancer? Red meat or smoking?

Could it be that Filipinos are economically behind and prone to superstition due to poor education?

Spoiler:

secretnude

Working Smart versus Working Hard

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:44 am

strawman wrote:Weber's conclusions would form the basis for the notion that Catholic latinos don't work as hard and aren't as responsible. Any farmer in these parts will tell you Mexicans work twice as hard as anyone else. They have an impressive work ethic. Weber writes from a Calvinist Protestant perspective, analyzing an industrial revolution that was centered in (largely Protestant) northern Europe and New England.
Seems to me Bahala Na is the Filipino equivalent of the arabic ان شاء الله , or English expression 'God willing''.
Working Hard
and aspiring to better one's condition
maybe independent variables.

You can be a hard
working farmer
satisfied of your terrible
condition
in life
due to an afterlife
or be a farmer
that struggles against the system
or better
yet work within the system
to better
your condition
or the condition
of future generations
of your family.

Life
sadly
is a struggle
unfortunately some don't even struggle
and simply accept their lot in life

Marx maybe right about Religion as the Opiate
that relieves suffering
that at any rate
doesn't address the root cause
of much terrible social suffering.

secretnude

Many Filipinos distrust Science due to Religion

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:55 am

Correlation
and causation
is difficult to tease out
without a doubt
in Social Science
which is a dismal Science
since experimentation
is largely out of the question.

Many Filipinos distrust Science
due to Religion
and hence stay in the realm of ignorant
Superstition
that we both like to rant
against.

Religion
may retard the adoption
of a naturalistic viewpoint
that I would like to point
seems to be inherent in Capitalism
since Capitalism
helps
those that helps
themselves
much like a God
that rewards and supports
Godly
effort
that's quite adverse to the Moral Hazards of fine
Intervention that's Divine.
Filipinos are considered superstitious as a result of Catholic dogmatism, characterized by a vague combination of animism and Catholic beliefs. The majority of Filipinos are poor and religion has become an important facet of life, to the extent that some disbelieve in science. Many foreigners look down on Filipinos, going as far as calling them slaves. That is why when working as domestic helpers, many Filipinos report cases of work-related abuse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_psychology
strawman wrote:I read an article today about another epidemiology study from Harvard purporting to show a correlation between red meat and cancer. Problem with such studies is they begin with the conclusion they want to reach. So people who eat lots of red meat also are more likely to smoke. Which activity causes the cancer? Red meat or smoking?

Could it be that Filipinos are economically behind and prone to superstition due to poor education?

secretnude

Cancer isn't a single Disease

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:11 am

Grilling or broiling meat over a direct flame results in fat dropping on the hot fire and the production of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-containing flames. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) adhere to the surface of food, and the more intense the heat, the more PAHs are present.5 They are widely believed to play a significant role in human cancers.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resou ... ancer-risk
Tobacco smoke contains more than 70 different cancer-causing substances. When you inhale smoke, these chemicals enter your lungs and spread around the rest of your body.

Scientists have shown that these chemicals can damage DNA and change important genes. This causes cancer by making your cells grow and multiply out of control.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... and-cancer

The causes of Cancer
has a physical mechanism that's now better
understood by Medical Science
and Science
does self-correct
to end up more correct.

There are known mechanisms that makes Smokers
really likely to get Lung Cancer
and Meat Eaters
may get other
Cancers.

Both may very well
harm our cells
and cause Cancer
which isn't a 'single disease'
that causes unease.

Different lifestyle factors
increases our risks for
various Cancers.

Even if the studies may start with a 'Hypothesis'
the Scientific Method thus insist
that the said Hypothesis
be falsifiable
to be able
to qualify as a Scientific Hypothesis.

secretnude

America tried to instill the Protestant Ethic

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:28 am

America
tried to remake the Philippines
in its own image like God
but sadly America
isn't God
and many Filipinos
still hold fast
to the vast
array of superstitions
despite free basic Public Education.

Our Universities are quite fine
even those that endorse the Divine
but that hasn't eliminated
at any rate
the tendency
of many
to hold to and hope for Divine
magic that's fine
except when it immobilizes the some fine
University Educated Folk
and this is no joke.

It may be impossible
to eliminate
the cultural traits
that you and I may hate
but that's our fate.
strawman wrote:And yet, I and many people I know are Christians who are well educated and not superstitious.
United States took over the Philippines in the first half of the century, the justifications for colonizing were to Christianize and democratize. The feeling was that these goals could be achieved only through mass education (up until then education was reserved for a small elite). Most of the teachers who went to the Philippines were Protestants, many were even Protestant ministers. There was a strong prejudice among some of these teachers against Catholics. Since this Protestant group instituted and controlled the system of public education in the Philippines during the American colonial period, it exerted a strong influence. Subsequently the balance has shifted to reflect much stronger influence by the Catholic majority.
http://asiasociety.org/countries/religi ... s?page=0,1
Filipinos have a deep regard for education, which they view as a primary avenue for upward social and economic mobility. From the onset of United States colonial rule, with its heavy emphasis on mass public education, Filipinos internalized the American ideal of a democratic society in which individuals could get ahead through attainment of a good education. Middle-class parents make tremendous sacrifices in order to provide secondary and higher education for their children.
http://countrystudies.us/philippines/53.htm
71.5 million individuals who are 10 years old and above, 97.5 percent or 69.8 million were literate or could read and write.
http://www.philstar.com/business/2013/1 ... s-97.5-nso
When one invokes “Bahala na,” there is always a philosophical worldview that is presupposed. This worldview is Fatalism. The classical meaning of fatalism, the Greek Moira, appears distinct from determinism and predestination. Fatalism, unlike predestination, is not “prearranged by a being outside the causal order,” or, unlike determinism, is not necessarily causal in nature
http://www.academia.edu/4313417/Bahala_ ... lysis_2005_

secretnude

A Crisis in Public Education

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:12 am

I'm for good or for bad
a product of the Philippine Educational System
that some say is bad
while others say is quite good
if you get into our University Systems
that produces labor that's much desired
in the United States
and other countries at any rate.

The deficiency may indeed
lie in the underfunded
Philippine Public Education System
that we got from the United States
as compared
to Universities that are better funded.

I heard that the United States
has its own problems with Public Education
that maybe in crisis proportions
much like our own free basic Public Education.
second system of public education, which is based principally in poorer urban and rural areas, is indeed in crisis. Too many of the students in those schools are dropping out well before high school graduation. Too many are receiving high school diplomas that do not certify academic confidence in basic subjects. Too many are being left unprepared for the world of work. Too many are being left unprepared to go on to higher education and advanced technical training. Those schools are indeed in crisis and they require emergency treatment....
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... risis.html

secretnude

A United Germany beats a Divided USA

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:21 am

The sad
effects of a quite bad
Public Education System isn't just evident
in the Philippines but ironically also evident
in American Public Policies in matters
that truly do matter.

If the US wants to retain Global Leadership
it must be hip
to creating Green Jobs
that will create more Green Bucks
that will buck
American
long term decline
that I'm very much not fine
with since America
had been a good and beneficent hegemon.

A Chinese Hegemony
over Asia
maybe more terrible since Confucian values
value
the group over the individual
and I'm for the rights of the individual.
Solyndra, a promising startup company in the sunny town of Fremont, California, which had a seemingly brilliant idea to make more effective solar panels, became a symbol of the fight over Obama's allegedly failed environmental policy. In March 2009, Energy Secretary Steven Chu, a Nobel laureate in physics, awarded the company a $535 million loan.

"The promise of clean energy isn't just ... some abstract possibility for science fiction movies," Obama said. But that was wrong, at least when it came to Solyndra. The company went bankrupt in 2011, 1,100 employees lost their jobs, the government's money was gone and the Republicans had fodder for the election campaign.

Solyndra was in fact the exception to the rule. Of 63 companies that received government assistance under Obama's green economy programs, 58 were successful and only five went bankrupt -- a 92-percent success rate. But none of that mattered. Obama's opponents, or about half of the American population, ignored the underlying goal of the "green" offensive, which is ultimately to make the entire country more competitive.

Within a few years, major competitor China has increased its share of the global solar market from 6 to an impressive 54 percent. Less than two decades ago, the United States was still making more than 40 percent of solar technology sold worldwide. Today it's just over 5 percent.

Even as America falls behind, some of its more enlightened citizens sometimes return from abroad to report on all the things they have learned in other countries. For instance, while campaigning for Obama, former President Bill Clinton often cited the "German model" as one worth emulating. In "a country where on average the sun shines as much as it does in London," he told an audience, "the Germans have netted 300,000 jobs out of their commitment to a solar future." America, he suggested, could create a million such jobs if it wanted to. But in 2012, this is a goal that no more than half of the people in the United States would support, which is why the country is beginning to lose its edge.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 295-3.html
Second Sense of li: principle of social order; ritual; ordering of life; conforming to the norms of jen (the limits and authenticity of li).
"
http://philosophy.lander.edu/oriental/main.html
individualism was far too rampant in American society and was leading to social chaos, with potentially devastating economic and political consequences. Thus some began to argue that a "soft" authoritarian system--rooted in Confucian principles and characterized by less individual liberty and more social discipline--not only would result in faster economic growth, but would create a much more satisfying society in terms of overall quality of life.

There is both an element of truth and a great deal of exaggeration in this Asian analysis of what currently ails the United States. It is true that the individualism deeply ingrained in the theoretical principles underlying the U.S. Constitution and legal system has no counterpart in Asian culture. It is thus no accident that American political discourse is framed largely in terms of conflicting individual rights. Yet as Mary Ann Glendon has pointed out, this "rights talk" is a dialect unique to the United States, with its Lockean and Jeffersonian traditions; in most modern European countries, individual rights are carefully balanced in constitutional law against responsibilities to the community
http://www.unc.edu/~wangc/Francis%20Fuk ... y%2062.htm

secretnude

Americans and Filipinos both distrust Science

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 am

We cannot lay blame solely on Religion
or lack of Education
for beliefs that maybe called Superstition.

Human Beings are exposed to both Religion
and an Inadequate Education
and like a Medical Cancer
the Cancer
of Ignorance
by chance
is caused by many factors
including perhaps unfavorable
and terrible
living conditions
in the Deep American South
and the same in the Philippines that's way south
in living conditions
without a doubt.

Science
maybe rejected outright
by the 'Ignorance Cancer Patients'
on sight
and we cannot slight
their beliefs since Science
maybe to the Patients
a Forbidden Fruit
at the root.
A comparison of peoples' views in 34 countries finds that the United States ranks near the bottom when it comes to public acceptance of evolution. Only Turkey ranked lower.

Among the factors contributing to America's low score are poor understanding of biology, especially genetics, the politicization of science and the literal interpretation of the Bible by a small but vocal group of American Christians, the researchers say.

“American Protestantism is more fundamentalist than anybody except perhaps the Islamic fundamentalist, which is why Turkey and we are so close,” said study co-author Jon Miller of Michigan State University.
http://www.livescience.com/963-lags-wor ... ution.html
Not Just a Southern Thing: The Changing Geography of American Poverty
Thirty years ago, the states with the deepest poverty were all clustered in dixie. But the rest of the country has been playing catchup.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ty/282912/

secretnude

Defining 'Superstition'

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 am

Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

Because it is the most scientifically rigorous investigation of whether prayer can heal illness, the study, begun almost a decade ago and involving more than 1,800 patients, has for years been the subject of speculation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/healt ... wanted=all

While we may draw the line on Superstition
differently by definition
Prayer may just be plain Superstition.

Who am I praying
to and why is the Deity
not showing
His Omniscient Abilities?

Much Suffering
then this Omniscient Deity
does bring
and hence why do sing
Songs of Praise
when people can raise
objections
to the objectionable
inaction
of a Deity
prone to inaction?

If the Deity
works though People
why didn't this Deity
that was Almighty
make People
more Holy?

Piety
to a Deity
may help
but I believe in Self-Help
rather than quite imaginary Help
from the fine
Divine.
belief in prayer is just like any superstition. Walking under a ladder is not "bad luck". Neither is breaking a mirror. Neither is seeing a black cat. Statistics prove that a broken mirror has zero effect on your life. In the same way, statistics prove that God never answers prayers.

The dictionary defines the word "superstition" in this way:

An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome. [ref]

Prayer is rank superstition, nothing more. People who believe in the power of prayer are no different than people who believe in the power of crystal balls, horoscopes or lucky rabbits feet. Prayer is scientifically proven to be meaningless.

The reason why there is so much suffering in this world, and the reason why a statistical analysis of your trivial prayers always shows them to be complete coincidences, is because God is imaginary. The belief in God is pure superstition.
http://godisimaginary.com/i31.htm

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... erstition/
Many Christians will eagerly join in the mocking of those who continue to believe in those superstitions which have fallen out of favor with mainstream culture. They join us in snickering at the man who avoids stepping on sidewalk cracks for fear of bad luck, and they are perfectly willing to laugh at those who fear black cats. They are right to do so because these beliefs are absurd, and their continued presence is a source of amusement.

And yet, notice how quickly things change when we atheists expose religious beliefs as simple superstition and magical thinking. The very same Christians who had no trouble recognizing the folly of other examples of superstitious belief are unwilling to do so when it comes to their own. "The difference," they insist, "is that what I believe is true." Sure it is (except that it isn't).

Read more: http://www.atheistrev.com/2009/03/relig ... z34mlftc5x

secretnude

Faith isn't Rational

Post by secretnude » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:58 am

Kierkegaard was concerned that individuals would spend all their lives trying to define Christianity, define love, define God, define the Trinity, define sin and never get to the business of "actually" making a decision, in time, to try to become a Christian and then acting on the basis of that decision. He discussed the inner and the outer relationship existing in belief. "Compared with the Hegelian notion that the outer is the inner and the inner the outer, it certainly is extremely original. But it would be even more original if the Hegelian axiom were not only admired by the present age but also had retroactive power to abolish, backward historically, the distinction between the visible and invisible Church. The invisible Church is not a historical phenomenon; as such it cannot be observed objectively at all, because it is only in subjectivity."[23] There has to be a balance between objective and subjective knowledge. Hegel went to the extreme objective side so Kierkegaard decided to go to the extreme subjective side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_faith
Syncretism /ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/ is the combining of different, often seemingly contradictory beliefs, while melding practices of various schools of thought. Syncretism involves the merger and analogizing of several originally discrete traditions, especially in the theology and mythology of religion, thus asserting an underlying unity and allowing for an inclusive approach to other faiths. Syncretism also occurs commonly in expressions of arts and culture (known as eclecticism) as well as politics (syncretic politics).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncretism

Syncretic Religions
may get more respect from Mainstream Religions
if all Religions
by definition
are partly based on the irrational
can we can naturally
define as Superstition.

Existentialist Philosopher Kierkegaard
thus disregards
much of the debate
that breeds much hate
regarding belief
in the fine
Divine
if belief
is naturally
irrational.

If major Religions
tolerate minor Religions
and people having no Religion
we may have a more a peaceful World
rather than the sad
World
that is currently badly
under the influence of Dogmatic Intolerance
by chance.

Not all Religions
are bad and the Buddhist faith
I don't actually hate.
strawman wrote:I've heard the same conjecture about Hindus. Certainly there is a high correlation of superstition and ignorance, Santeria being a prime example. And yet, I and many people I know are Christians who are well educated and not superstitious.