blades of grass

Short Stories available for anyone to read
Forum rules
These posts are public, and will be searched by Google. If you want to maintain "First Worldwide Rights" on your story, post in the Short Stories (Member Only) forum. Story authors still retain ownership and copyright, either way.
zcarter80

blades of grass

Postby zcarter80 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Blades of Grass

The sign had done little to deter the boy as his stubby legs thrust him forward in persuit of his butterfly. The monarch high above him as most royals see themselves. It's graceful movements keeping his gaze affixed to the entrancing fluttering of its orange and black wings.

His first steps onto the shimmering green expanse were light and soft, it was his second however that drew his mother's attention. But by then it was far too late.

A blood curdling scream cut across the lawn as his foot pushed down and a hundred tiny pin pricks penetrated his shoes impaling his soft pink flesh. As he fell forward the other blades of grass sliced at his hands and face nipping at his ears and cheeks.

The more his wailing and squirming persisted the more lacerations blossomed across his skin. Rivulets of his blood began to pour into the soil feeding the roots, driving the blades of grass higher and higher.

His mother knelt on the curb helplessly grasping at his feet as the blades bit into her wrists forcing her hands back to her chest as they enveloped her child. His squeals diminished as they became choked sobs. Soon after they faded to a nearly inaudible gurgling until the only sound left was the low moaning and weeping of a mother in mourning.

The grass stood taller by at least a foot swaying and glittering in the afternoon sun as the owner of the house made his way on to the porch. The look of terror and disgust on the woman's face kneeling near his lawn caught his eye. He looked from her to the lawn and back again before shaking his head and waving her off with a gnarled and weathered 3 fingered hand. Without so much as a backward glance he shuffeled his way back inside.

She was gone when he finally returned with a larger sigh to replace the last, hand painted in red lettering. He pounded it into the soft dirt at the edge of his lawn as the other spectators that had been watching from their respective porches squinted to read the words "KEEP OFF GRASS!!! TRESPASS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!"
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

SpareInch

Re: blades of grass

Postby SpareInch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 am

A few years ago, I found a truly dreadful short story collection on Podiobooks, called All Kinds Of Things Kill. Can't, or don't want to, remember the author's name though.

One of the stories in that collection was also about razor sharp killer grass, but where that one made me cringe throughout, this one was really good.

Ta for posting it and helping me through my morning coffee. :)
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

zcarter80

Postby zcarter80 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Why thank you I'm just glad to be back on I haven't posted in at least 6 months. Anything you think I should change?

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:07 am

zcarter80 wrote:Why thank you I'm just glad to be back on I haven't posted in at least 6 months. Anything you think I should change?

Apart from the typo in the first sentence? Surely detour should be deter?

I would have liked to see more of an argument between the mother and the house owner. (Alien?) and possibly more scene setting and build up. But as a single scene, I rather liked it.

Now a few thousand words in a world with plants like that grass... THERE you'd have something! :wink:
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

zcarter80

Postby zcarter80 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Why thank you. I thought of a shared secret in this community where this grass is a killer. People know it and do nothing. The short grew from that but I'm just glad it was liked and thank those of you who commented.

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Possible good fit with the Evil Homeowners Association meme.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

zcarter80

Postby zcarter80 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

This is now in an anthology called Hidden in Plain Sight available in print and digital form on Amazon. I'm super elated! If not for you guys I never would have made this so thanks again!

Return to “Short Stories (Public)”