A Bear That Died From Scratches

Short Stories available for anyone to read
Forum rules
These posts are public, and will be searched by Google. If you want to maintain "First Worldwide Rights" on your story, post in the Short Stories (Member Only) forum. Story authors still retain ownership and copyright, either way.
normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:36 am

10703689_10203938797942204_2660213987521307831_n.jpg
10703689_10203938797942204_2660213987521307831_n.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 1211 times

So, a Drabblecast fan recently posted this drawing on her Facebook wall, saying:

"My nine year old sister drew this today. It's "A bear that died from scratches," she says. #‎creepy‬ ‪#‎horror‬ ‪#‎kidart‬"

Anyways, it's gotta be one of my favorite pieces of art ever...so I wrote a handful of microflash stories to accompany it and offer possible context....

Young Iconograph

"Jesus Bear's cross for our sins!" announced little 9-year old Sarah, proudly showing off the image she drew in Sunday School to her parents.

"But you can't really see it with Jesus Bear hanging in the way."

Domestic Dispute

"Who's been sleeping in my bed?" Mamma Bear asked her husband through clenched teeth, the .357 magnum trembling in her paw.

"Do it Piglet! Pull the goddamn trigger!" yelled Christopher Robin.

"B-b-b-b-but Chris, it's Pooh-- it's our friend!"

"Whatever that thing is Piglet, it stopped being our goddamn friend the second it died from scratches and then got the fuck back up. Now are you man enough to do what needs to be done; to send that son of a bitch back to the fiery hell it came from before it frees its leg from that honey jar and gets up after us? Or are you just like he is Piglet-- nothing but a dead man walking? Because let me tell you something son, it's a different world out there now past the 100 acre quarantine zone. No cell phones, no radio-- shit boy, you know as well as I do that that big orange cloud bank we saw off to the west yesterday morning was them taking out L.A."

"B-b-b-b-b-but why Chris?? Why would the g-g-g-g-government do something like that?!"

"The same reason we had to rob that family back in Masonville to get this station wagon Piglet. The same reason we had to leave Tigger back at the abandoned quarry before he turned, after we found he'd been hiding that scratch under his nap sack. The same reason you've gotta pull that trigger now son... because that's just how things are now. You do what you gotta do to keep Hell away from your doorstep just as long as you can, or you give up and take the easy way out, like Owl did.

It might be the end of the goddamn world out there boy, but I reckon there's still enough rope to go around for the both of us... if that's how you wanna handle it. When it comes to that... "

"0h d-d-d-d-dearr--"

"Either way, now's not the time for fuckin' ch-ch-ch-chatter, you hear?
Now's the time to let that shotgun right there in your shakin' little arms do all the talking.

Cuz when a shotgun talks, little pig... a shotgun don't never stutter."
"Give us all some Jelly"

Caustic Reverie

Re: A Bear That Died From Scratches

Postby Caustic Reverie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Fantastic. The line "100 acre quarantine zone" cracked me up.

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:39 pm

normsherman wrote:Cuz when a shotgun talks little pig... a shotgun don't never stutter."

Norm. You have a weird mind. And that's a good thing for this world.

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:10 pm

pondspider wrote:
normsherman wrote:Cuz when a shotgun talks little pig... a shotgun don't never stutter."

Norm. You have a weird mind. And that's a good thing for this world.

Yeah. I hear he carries it around in a matchbox and shows it to people in the street. ;)
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 am

Did I say "weird"?

I meant "twisted". ;)

zcarter80

Postby zcarter80 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Why was this never recorded?
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

zcarter80

Postby zcarter80 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Dribblecast maybe? I'm lookin at you baker!
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

Return to “Short Stories (Public)”