Where are the moderators?

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Where are the moderators?

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Is anybody a moderator of these forums? If so, they are in desperate need of moderation. It has become perfectly clear that the quality of these forums has degraded. I know that myself and others all contributed, but ASID really has to dial it down a notch. ROU has already left, and I'm close behind.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Ooooooo......

I've been slacking big time because of time issues. I told the other empowered persons this, but I guess no one's picked up the slack. I became aware of this issue... right now. I apologize, but I'm just a dude with limited time too. The stars so aligned that a massive upswing in the number of posts here corresponded with a massive upswing in my personal workload, and (so I now hear) a massive upswing in member hostility came shortly thereafter. When it rains it pours.

Tweedy loves you, but his God-like qualities end there.

I suppose this is a good time to suggest this: Nominations for new moderator? (I really can't do this myself anymore.)
Advertise in this space!

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 pm

I nominate Strawman,

I of course think that I or ROU would do a good job, but that seems a little self-serving right now.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby alhilton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:58 pm

I second Strawman.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby ROU Killing Time » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Third on the Strawman. (Plus, that would give him the power to resurrect Miss Grimsley to use as the iron hammer of moderation...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby alhilton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:12 pm

*snerk* I was gonna say that you might want to let Tweedy retain the power of moderating Strawman's sock puppet proliferation.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby strawman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Time management is all about delegating authority. Strawman has never been in a position of such awesome power before (save for when he first held his newborn sons). I don't even know where the master controls for the "Fist of Death" feature are here. Since I'm a huge fan of Karma, what I'd REALLY like is if Tweedy would grant me custody of his avatar, so that Tweedy could be my sock puppet disciplinarian, and strawman could remain the sweet, gentle muffin that he pretends to be.

*ROFLMAO*

Okay, back now. Obviously, I have just proved the importance of Abbie's suggestion.
If that's okay with Mr. Tweedy, I am willing to become his apprentice.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby TheJebi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Yes, I also vote for strawman.

I have always enjoyed having such a witty repartee with ASID in our twabble battles, so it's sad to see how things turned out, really brought down the whole twit-fic section that he was so instrumental in building up.

So strawman, don't be so modest, it's not like you, you know your the (straw) man for the job.

Also, this Miss Grimsley character was before my time I guess, but I love the name, and how she is referenced so often...
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby ROU Killing Time » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:46 pm

TheJebi wrote:Yes, I also vote for strawman.

I have always enjoyed having such a witty repartee with ASID in our twabble battles, so it's sad to see how things turned out, really brought down the whole twit-fic section that he was so instrumental in building up.

So strawman, don't be so modest, it's not like you, you know your the (straw) man for the job.

Also, this Miss Grimsley character was before my time I guess, but I love the name, and how she is referenced so often...

If you read the replies on my early drabbles you'll find it was Miss Grimsley who taught me how to write, or at least how not to abuse a gerund.

That and how to make latex a fashion statement.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby strawman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Jeb,
Miss Dorothea Grimsley was a horny, latex-wearing, spinstress English teacher who was "channeled" by strawman in order to cure ROU of his addiction to gerunds in early drabbles. ROU, although slightly traumatized, was cured of his gerund dependency, but it came at a costly price, as Mr. "Oliver Cromwell" Tweedy captured Grimsley and her sock-puppet zombie horde, and sentenced her to be executed. After all appeals failed, ROU gave a moving eulogy at her funeral. But a statue of Grimsley, riding crop in hand, now adorns the Drabblecast town square, and can be seen from the windows of the adjacent schoolhouse.

Legend has it that the spirit of Miss Grimsley is responsible for the outstanding quality of writing in the Drabblecast and its forums.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby alhilton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 pm

strawman wrote:Time management is all about delegating authority. Strawman has never been in a position of such awesome power before (save for when he first held his newborn sons). I don't even know where the master controls for the "Fist of Death" feature are here. Since I'm a huge fan of Karma, what I'd REALLY like is if Tweedy would grant me custody of his avatar, so that Tweedy could be my sock puppet disciplinarian, and strawman could remain the sweet, gentle muffin that he pretends to be.

*ROFLMAO*

Okay, back now. Obviously, I have just proved the importance of Abbie's suggestion.
If that's okay with Mr. Tweedy, I am willing to become his apprentice.


LOL. Tweedy to moderate Strawman, Strawman to moderate everyone else. If we get the leaders we deserve, then we at DC forums must be rather awesome. :)

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby alhilton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:14 pm

strawman wrote:Jeb,
Miss Dorothea Grimsley was a horny, latex-wearing, spinstress English teacher who was "channeled" by strawman in order to cure ROU of his addiction to gerunds in early drabbles. ROU, although slightly traumatized, was cured of his gerund dependency, but it came at a costly price, as Mr. "Oliver Cromwell" Tweedy captured Grimsley and her sock-puppet zombie horde, and sentenced her to be executed. After all appeals failed, ROU gave a moving eulogy at her funeral. But a statue of Grimsley, riding crop in hand, now adorns the Drabblecast town square, and can be seen from the windows of the adjacent schoolhouse.

Legend has it that the spirit of Miss Grimsley is responsible for the outstanding quality of writing in the Drabblecast and its forums.


The bust of Ms. Grimsley's head is actually right across the street from the newly erected statue of our dearly departed Lord Protector Tweedy. ...which only makes sense if you've been to London. Sorry. Got carried away. But if you've seen the statue, I invite you to envision Tweedy in stone with attack lion. :D Here we go: Image

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby strawman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Note: This is in no way related to Simba Hellcat.
Note: This would make a real nice avatar, Tweedy, should you relinquish the other one for puppetry.
Note: Lord Protector = Way Cooler than Moderator
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby normsherman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Yah, wow, this mess did just seem to spring up over night, and during a time when everyone's been buried in catch-up. Hopin this situation's simma'd down, seems to have.

When Tweedy told me he was gonna be swamped this holiday I thought to ask strawman if he'd be up for helpin out as a mod but it fell on the backburner, sorry bout that. It seems that the people have spoken! Strawman, I shall set thee up whenever I get to an actual computer instead of blackberry. Congrats on bein rad. If all of us were competing in a game of survivor, you'd surely make it to the last 3. Then somebody (probably Goldenrat) would stab you in the back with a fork in the final episode and take the win.

For the record, StalinSays has also become a moderator (and has also been mia, in the middle of a big cross country move.) He's done a lot to set up the architecture of the forum and may serve as the liberal tree hugging pansey yin to Tweedy and strawman's snakehandling squirrel-hunting conservative yang. :-)

I've never understood public arguments. If one must get feisty, use the stinkin PM option rather than making it public, nobody likes hearing mother when she's drunk, beating uncle clarence upstairs. Especially when it's a school night and you're trying to sleep.

I really like rou, tbaker and even ol' algy sydney. Not gonna expect a kiss and makeup I guess, but nobody better jump ship-- I'll be forced to spank your fathers.
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
alhilton
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby alhilton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30 pm

normsherman wrote:Yah, wow, this mess did just seem to spring up over night, and during a time when everyone's been buried in catch-up. Hopin this situation's simma'd down, seems to have.


Poor Norm-Alexander. Conquering these people was easier than uniting them. But it'll blow over.

On Strawman and his identity issues - I postulate that Strawman is, in fact, Kendall's dad. He lives in Gainesville and has sons. My logic is impeccable.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 am

Norm,

I'd like to echo publicly my regrets for helping put the scratches on the shiny bad-ass ride that is the drabblecast forum. The spirit of this forum has always been zany, bizzarre, irreverant, and of course, strange discussion. Until recently, I'd never would have added intentionally insulting, and I guess ASID, Tom, and I all found out where the red-line on our "blowing our cool" meter is set at.

In the future, if something seems to be designed to provoke conflict, I will just take the PM the moderator approach.

In my own meager defense in not following that path this time, I mistakenly felt this would have been tantamount to going to the teacher after school and telling on the class bully. It seemed more manly at the time to openly counter the "liberals are inherently evil" meme that was proliferating.

My own view is that there are brilliant and noble minds in both world-views, as can be demonstrated quite easily by the presence of Strawman/Tweedy and Tbaker/Stalinsays here on these forums. (If I can infer from your characterization of Stalinsays as a treehugging pansey yin to mean he has leftist tendencies, other than his screen-tag, he hasn't been one to give himself away by farting in the elevator and wearing his politics on his sleeve.)

If I took the bait and let my pride be injured by being called a lying hypocrit, well that's my failing. But pride is not a virtue anyway, so I'll just give that part the weight it deserves.

Kiss and make-up? Well, yes that's probably not likely at this point as I really was trying to establish a reasoned dialog, and that's what caused the whole thing to fall apart.

The suggestion to make use of the Friends/Foes option seems like it will solve the problem of any recurrence. I will say, that does sadden me though as I'd much rather engage in dialog even if both sides are passionate. When it crosses the line from passionate to heated, however, like you say, no one wants to listen to mom when she's drunk.

So, no, I won't jump ship, take my ball and leave the playground. I mean where else but on the DC forums is "Yo-Daddy" > Yo Momma. :-)

Thanks again for the badass ride you have here. Hopefully the insurance will cover the new paint-job.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3504
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 am

Consider me "dialed down".

I apologize for engaging in rancorous and not particularly productive debate. I really didn't come to the Drabblecast forums to debate politics -- it's just such a ripe topic for stories and it bled over into flames.

It's a shame that we cannot argue or debate (a skill I obviously suck at), because much worse than words will be flying soon (and not just for foreigners we like not to think about). Still, as plenty of you have said, this is not the place for that.

So, sorry for contributing to this kerfuffle. I will not engage ROU again, at all.

User avatar
Mr. Tweedy
Member
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Illinois (Land of Obama)
Contact:

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:22 am

I have read (skimmed) and judged.

While there are none wholly innocent, I place the brunt of blame on ASID. Algy, your original remark about "rapists and murderers" was obviously misinterpreted and not aimed at anyone in particular. HOWEVER, if someone thinks you've called them a rapist, the appropriate response is not to mock their feeble logic but to say "Whoa, dude, that's not what I meant! Sorry it came off that way." Whether or not you were correct about anything quickly became irrelevant because you were being such a total uppity smart ass about it. You could have diffused the hostility with a "My bad," and a change of tone, but you decided to escalate it instead. Consider yourself chastened.

I don't mean to just pick on ASID. Just because I mention him as the worst doesn't mean that he's the only. (ROU, there is no need to announce to everyone that you've got ASID on "ignore." If you feel that's necessary, just do it quietly.)

My only other remark is to say that it makes sad to see the Drabblecast forum looking… typical. Yuck! Seeing people trade tit for tat insults and mock each other's responses is something I'd expect to see… elsewhere. There isn't anybody here who isn't above that sort of juvenility. Don't treat the Drabblecast banner as if it said "You Tube."

Apologies if this judgement seems inadequate. I am pressed for time and admittedly didn't read every word in the offending threads.

Be excellent to each other. Bear in mind that there is nothing more valuable than a person: If you "win" an argument at the cost of destroying a person, you've sacrificed the greater thing for the sake of the lesser. Let's not do that.

P.S. There is no arguing with my judgement. The iron fist has come down.
Advertise in this space!

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: Lockhart, TX

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby eric_marsh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:59 am

One of the problems with the internet is that it provides a shield of anonymity and as a result people often don't behave with the same courtesy on-line as they would in the real world. I realized that one back in the days of usenet and I also realized that sometimes you actually meet the folks your chatting with on-line in the real world. That has the potential for embarrassment or worse.

The conclusion that I came to is that the right thing for me to do is to always try to act as if I expected to meet the person I'm chatting with to for lunch the next day. Also I use my real name on-line because it does a lot to remove that anonymity I mentioned. If I need to hide behind an alias so that I can say something then I probably shouldn't be saying it in the first place.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3504
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Where are the moderators?

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 am

eric_marsh wrote:...the right thing for me to do is to always try to act as if I expected to meet the person I'm talking to for lunch the next day.

That's good advice, thanks!


eric_marsh wrote:Also I use my real name on-line because it does a lot to remove that anonymity I mentioned. If I can't say something without being accountable for it then I probably shouldn't say it in the first place.

Have you spent a lot of time on political and philosophical groups? I have, and I've seen every dirty trick in the book.

The more you say something important, in a political or philosophical sphere, the more you are likely to rile someone up. Many of those people are not rational. They'll: hack your pages, harass ISP's, jam servers, phone and mail vile things, or even stop by. And, if you are a high-profile figure on the right, they sometimes get away with it.

We need accountability on both sides. Until then, I make it harder for my enemies to engage in low-risk, low-accountability attacks.


Return to “Tech Support”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron