Blubrry is terrible!

sandrilde

Blubrry is terrible!

Postby sandrilde » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't know why, but as I try to stream the old casts on my iphone, I keep having a lot of trouble every time I load up a new story. It seems that either the website or blubrry requires a wait of several minutes between each story. Trying to play a new one immediately after finishing one always results in repeated "cannot load" messages before it finally works....

I know, I should stop being lazy and just download the 25 episode files.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Blubrry is terrible!

Postby StalinSays » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:40 pm

We occasional toss around Drabblecast app ideas; it is the most reasonable solution to the streaming issues you are encountering. Unfortunately an app is a monumental effort, similar to designing drabblecast.org, and we are a volunteer core. Not sure when we'll set milestones, until then yeh, even if its clunky, downloading the ep sets is the best way to listen through the catalog.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:26 am

Hm. I have an iPhone 5, and I have no delay in playback from the website. On 3G, it takes about 4 seconds to buffer enough to start streaming.

Can you give me more details? Is this in safari? Are you on WiFi or data? What are you clicking on the webpage, the play button, "play in new window", or "download"?

Thanks!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 am

I've been experimenting, and can't replicate the behavior on my phone. On mobile devices the player is HTML5. I've disabled the "Play in new window" link, because it really didn't do anything different than clicking play.

Worst case, if you click on "download", that will completely take our player out of the loop and it will be just the phone's built-in player. If it's still slow then, it must be the connection.

Let me know..

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

Or what Tom said.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

sandrilde

Postby sandrilde » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Well I'm doing it on my iPhone 4s. Maybe it's network issues. I don't know. Alls I know is I can't transfer the files to my phone via work computer, and I haven't been home and awake for long enough to download the large batch files, so I"m stuck with awful streaming.

It happens whether I "Play in new window" or click the play button on the original play - either way, I get "cannot play audio file" for several minutes between each ep. before it finally starts playing. Clicking "Download" opens it in quicktime - maybe that will work better and I should try it. Will let you all know.

QQ

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks. I tried it on a 4s today with no troubles. That does imply network issues.
Let me know how "download" works for you!
Thanks

sandrilde

Postby sandrilde » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Even when I"m home on my fios wi fi, I keep getting 503 denial of service things from the page when I try to stream through my phone... I've switched over to using gardenstreet, which still has the archived stories up, and haven't had any problems so far. No clue why I'm having so many problems from the main page, unless I'm just clicking too many links and the website thinks I'm a spammer???

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Access problems

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 am

Ok, that's not good. Can you help me run some tests?

Do you have a standard computer? Mac or PC?

If you go to drabblecast.org and do the same through the computer, does it act the same?

Is this behavior all the time? Some times? Once in a while?

With these answers, we can dig a little deeper into the problem.

Thanks!
Tom

(BTW the gardenstreet site is hosted on the same server, but is static, not Wordpress based.)

Return to “Tech Support”