Drabblecast Archives and iTunes Data Standardization

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Drabblecast Archives and iTunes Data Standardization

Postby Varda » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:25 am

I began my voyage through the archives a few weeks ago, and liking to keep things organized, I imported all the m4a’s into iTunes as podcast files.

This is what happened.

Two things of note. On the left, you can see that the files imported under a variety of podcast names(“Drabblecast”, “The Drabblecast”, “Matt’s Album”, “Norm”, etc). I think I ended up with 8 extra playlists in addition to the regular feed. I'm guessing these are relics of the early days that made their way into the fan archive files.

On the right, you can see a sample of how scrambled up the episodes are. It seems to be a mixture of typos, missing data, and numbering (using 1 instead of 001) that’s disorganizing everything. I got it mostly sorted out with a couple hour’s work, thanks in large part to ASID’s awesome episode list in the story discussion. I’m no iTunes ninja, so I’ve still got two Drabblecast playlists in addition to the main feed due to some data inconsistencies I haven’t yet figured out how to fix. Still, it’s all much neater than it was initially.

None of this is really a big deal; it certainly hasn't kept me from enjoying the archives! But I wanted to suggest a cleanup sometime in the future to make the archives easier to import and organize for newbies. Sort of like the art reclamation project, but with data. I for one would love to see all the old episodes’ data standardized and brought up to par with the more recent episodes. Older episodes, for example are missing descriptions/summaries that the newer ones have. Things like artist/composer names are not consistent. Cleaning this up would make everything more searchable and neat-looking all around.

Since I'm already working on it for my personal library, I’d even be happy to volunteer for such a project if I could get a little guidance from the tech-savvy folk. Perhaps I could just re-upload all my files after I’ve finished correcting/filling in the data or such?
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Drabblecast Archives and iTunes Data Standardization

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 am

If you have updated data, I can take care of it on this forum. It's a bit of a PITA without DB access, but I have some scripts to semi-automate the process.

If the Episode entry on the main part of the site, or the meta-data in the MP3/M4A files needs updating, then Tom or Bo will have to take care of that. Although, with DB access, it's much easier. A few SQL statements can impart a lot of "foolish consistency", fixing typos and such, fairly quickly.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Varda-
Fantastic offer! As you can tell, it's a bitch to rework some of this data. It's even harder to replace the episode artwork on the M4A's, since I have to reconstruct the M4A files. (Yea, THAT'S why I'm a little behind.) But none of us have been paying attention to the other meta data.

Ultimately, we'd like to correct the data on both the M4A and the MP3's.

If you'd like to take this task on, I can get you an FTP account to upload the files.

The M4A's should (I think?) just be dragging them back out of iTunes when you are done fixing the meta data. At which point upload them to the FTP account, and I'll get them into the website. The MP3's could work the same way, or use an external meta data editor.

This would be a real help. Thanks for the offer!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Varda

Postby Varda » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm in, Tom! I figured that the old hands on deck might not have noticed this issue. Why would you? You already have a full collection of DC episodes! :D

Before I start changing the data, I'd like to clarify what the standard format should be (how the episodes should be titled, etc). Guessing I should use the most recent episodes as the standard, but I can take a few more screenshots of the different variants and you guys can let me know what you prefer.

This should be fun! Now I have a nice, mindless task I can do... while listening to podcasts! Pod-ception! :mrgreen:

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Exxxxxcellent. :wink:

The format we'd like to use what's currently coming down the pipe:
Title: Drabblecast # - Title
Author: Norm Sherman
Composer: Norm Sherman
Genre: Podcast

The story snippet, taken from the website, fits in the description field in the video tab.

Varda

Postby Varda » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Awesomeness! Easy enough. On some of the middling-numbered episodes, I see author names and drabbles included in the titles as well. Just so I'm certain--I should trim those down to just the title, right?

Drabblescout Badges:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes, trim just to the title.

Varda

Postby Varda » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 pm

Drabblescout Badges:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:30 am

Sweet. Varda's been cranking away at these. Good Job!
I'll get the updated versions on the website over the next few days/weeks.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:26 am

Nerdiest DC Forum thread, Ever!
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Varda

Postby Varda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

And this is just scratching the surface. Behind the scenes, Tom's been giving me a crash-course in tag editing. And I've been giving him an earful about my conspiracy theories surrounding the secretive Drabblecast Power Structure. Much fun was had by all!

Drabblescout Badges:

Return to “Tech Support”