Tapatalk support

lyda

Tapatalk support

Postby lyda » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 am

Would it be possible to install the Tapatalk plugin for phpBB on this forum? The link to do so is here:

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapata ... ugin=phpbb

It's free - the client costs money for users. The Escape Artists forums use it if you guys share tech info.

Edit: poll added.

Edit 2: poll removed since "Yes, I know of a security exploit for it and will use it to launch attacks against Kodos" is not as clearly a vote against installing the plugin as I would have thought. If the board admin hates Kodos and wanted plausible deniability... well, you can see where this is going. To make up for the missing poll, I offer a tale of a missing cat (it is the internet after all).

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Tapatalk support

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 am

I know that Tapatalk had some major security vulnerabilities (SQL injection and XSS). That was a couple years ago, maybe they're fixed by now?

I recommend not using this unless:
  1. We have 3+ DC users ask for it
  2. We verify that EA uses it, and EA knows enough to recognize pwnage, and EA reports no problems.
  3. We find the Tapatalk source, and/or version history, and/or bug list and verify that Tapatalk's devs are diligent about safeguarding sites and users.

lyda

Postby lyda » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:I know that Tapatalk had some major security vulnerabilities (SQL injection and XSS). That was a couple years ago, maybe they're fixed by now?

Apparently. And in that same timeframe both phpBB and php have also had security issues. Not trying to be argumentative, but this is phpBB and php we're talking about.

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
  1. We have 3+ DC users ask for it
  2. We verify that EA uses it, and EA knows enough to recognize pwnage, and EA reports no problems.
  3. We find the Tapatalk source, and/or version history, and/or bug list and verify that Tapatalk's devs are diligent about safeguarding sites and users.

1. Should I attach a poll to this thread?
  2. This is the thread where they enabled it. However I note they use SMF instead of phpBB. So it wasn't really a fair comparison for me to make.
  3. Their source and issue tracking are on github. They do seem to be committing a decent bit and their issue list is small.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for doing the homework, Lyda. I note that that GitHub repository is only 10 months old, but it seems in good shape now.

The EA forum shows 3 users and it's roughly double DC's size, so by the rule of 10, we might expect 15 DC users (3*10/2) to be interested in this.

I withdraw my objections.

lyda

Postby lyda » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:15 am

I do want to highlight one thing:

lyda wrote:This is the thread where they enabled it. However I note they use SMF instead of phpBB. So it wasn't really a fair comparison for me to make.

The EA forums are using this plugin which is not the same one this board would need. It appears to be the same developer and the commit numbers are about the same. As well as his ability to spell in his commit comments... Still, it's different code that is interfacing with different code. It's not clear to me if the dev is more familiar with phpbb or smf.

I'd still suggest talking to the EA admins though. First to find out how many people access their forums that way. Second, tapatalk allow you to put your board in their directory under a system of categories. You might try to match up with how EA do theirs (personally I just searched their directory so have no idea where it is actually categorised).

I really don't see other decent mobile options for phpbb. There's Forum Runner which seems similar to Tapatalk, but isn't as widely used from what I can tell. They also make you register just to see the plugin which is vaguely unfriendly. I see some mention of mobile forum themes which would kind of be an improvement, but still missing some nice bits that the mobile apps offer.

More people are using mobiles and tablets for accessing the net so it does seem like something a community would require. This might be it; it might not. But in the end I think something will need to be.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 am

I'll look into it, if I can call you lydia.
:D
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

lyda

Postby lyda » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:I'll look into it, if I can call you lydia.
:D

Only if you buy me a drink first. :)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:09 am

It's a deal. You fly over here and I'll buy you a pint!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:45 am

Tapatalk is now enabled for this board.

Anybody who wants a different mobile experience for the forum, you can download the Tapatalk app and just search for "Drabblecast".

bounceswoosh

Postby bounceswoosh » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 pm

As a tapatalk user, thanks!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Good. Is it working for you?

More importantly, am I the only one who reads it as "TapTalk" not "TapaTalk"?

bounceswoosh

Postby bounceswoosh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:14 pm

The Participated and Timeline sections work great. Unread is always empty, so something is borked with that.

I actually keep misremembering it as "tapattack." I'm sure that says something about me.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm

I have a plugin update to install, that might help.

Return to “Tech Support”