Splitting 2-part episodes and political hijacks

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Splitting 2-part episodes and political hijacks

Postby StalinSays » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:09 am

Would suggest combining pt. 1 and pt. 2 in to one topic - we've done that in the past for 2 part episodes (Dexter Ward, Horrorworld, etc), think it's better for the flow of conversation. Unless the break-up is specificly desired.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Drabblecast 304 – Hero, The Movie pt. 2

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:33 am

StalinSays wrote:Would suggest combining pt. 1 and pt. 2 in to one topic - we've done that in the past for 2 part episodes (Dexter Ward, Horrorworld, etc), think it's better for the flow of conversation. Unless the break-up is specifically desired.

The split kinda happened naturally, since they were released 5 days apart and my forum thread poster is semi-automated.

Unless you insist otherwise, can we keep them separate as an experiment if nothing else? For example, part 1 had people gushing over it -- including for the drabble and twabble (which are not in part 2). But, so far, we there's only one post about part 2.

Could be an interesting study about the split point and the story's staying power and the episode "extras". (We need a few hundred more posters, though.)

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:02 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: (We need a few hundred more posters, though.)

Agree. Any idea how to get there? Maybe have an O'Care Navigators' Special. There's 60,000 of 'em waiting to use the .gov website. Maybe you could write a few lines of code and redirect healthcare.gov to forums.drabblecast.org with a message; "While you're waiting..."

Maybe it's because it's a Holiday week and people are packing up and travelling, but it does seem like it's taking folks longer to listen as measured by lag time for comments.
I hope eventually this episode will generate above-average comments, as it's a very interesting resolution.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:20 am

strawman wrote:
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: (We need a few hundred more posters, though.)

Agree. Any idea how to get there?

It has to be a celebrity sex tape. ...
No other way... Has. To. Be.

strawman wrote:Maybe have an O'Care Navigators' Special. There's 60,000 of 'em waiting to use the .gov website. Maybe you could write a few lines of code and redirect healthcare.gov to forums.drabblecast.org with a message; "While you're waiting..."

No, we want out users to truuuuust Drabblecast... "You can give money (and detailed, embarrassing medical history to us! We won't abuse it... Honest.") That site is not one we want to be associated with. Heck, even Obama now claims nothing to do with it, or "The 'Affordable' Care Act (of treason)".

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:14 am

Not a directive, more a suggestion - do as you wish. I combined all the old 2-parters, but there isn't a mandate from heaven on the matter.

My observation in split topics is that the Pt. 1 post ends up robust, and the Pt. 2 grows like an anemic, parasitic twin. Since the episode split is more about time than it is about distinct narratives, users seeking to comment on the overall story simply flock to the 'more active' topic. I can see the idea of maintaining two halves to account for two reactions, but in practice I haven't seen it develop.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 am

ASID, I don't want to hijack the thread, (as I have regularly done, to my great shame), but it seems to me that we need to ride whatever jackass is available. Now, if you know a celebrity who's willing to make a sex tape, we naturally want to hear about it, and we could even run a promotional drabble theme contest as a male enhancement supplement.

But if you could manage a discreet redirect on healthcare.gov, and if the gummint saw our shizzle, they might just decide that our type of distracting activity is just what folks need to forget how pissed off they are. They paid $600 million for their website. Betcha they'd pay us that much to make people forget about their website. We get Bo to incorporate Cruz, Rubio, Christie and Hillary and Harry and Nancy into Mega Beast Political Edition Death Match, and Drabblenews postings about botflies and flesh-eating bacteria insurance mandates. It isn't a celebrity sex tape, but I have a friend who knows Anthony Weiner's publicist, and I bet I could get him to write an illustrated twabble column for a DC exclusive.

(Yes, I'm aware the thread has now been completely hijacked, but I have an urge to reenact the plot of this story and relive my own heroic glory years, where starting a business, inventing things that people wanted and employing people was the real-world equivalent of getting locusts to eat one another - that world was a different time and place...now I can't even cover the pre-existing disability premiums...)

See what I did there?

Anyway, think about it. When people need to change the topic, Drabblecast is sure as hell a good way to do it. The key word here: "Monetize!"

Spoiler:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:57 am

strawman wrote:But if you could manage a discreet redirect on healthcare.gov, and if the gummint saw our shizzle, they might just decide that our type of distracting activity is just what folks need to forget how pissed off they are.

Huh? "Peace in our time" surrender to the Iranians -- with Israel soon to be forced into starting nuclear Armageddon aren't enough distractions!?! :shock:
How about the big push to stop pretending we have a border? "All I want for Christmas is my am-nes-ty."

Although healthcare.gov has reportedly been hacked several times and is supposedly easy, I'm not going anywhere near that site. I can just see the headlines if I succeeded: "The Affordable Care Act site would have been all fixed except for the attack by a right-wing, "Tea bagger", foaming at the mouth, racist, terrorist, and *gasp* NRA member from California."

Anywho, perhaps Bo is right and this thread should be scrapped and the part 2 data added to the part 1 thread.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:56 am

At the risk of further derailing this thread, since we're talking about how to get more people to post on the forums, I think it might be helpful to keep in mind lurkers are unlikely to de-lurk if they feel like their personal beliefs and views (political or otherwise) won't be respected or aren't welcome in the community. This is especially true of a forum that isn't devoted to the subject of politics and such, and when it's moderators talking politics on a thread that's not about politics.

Generally speaking, talking about politics makes me uncomfortable for a number of reasons. But in the spirit of diversity, and of encouraging any moderate-to-liberal lurkers to delurk and know this isn't just a space for people on the more conservative end of the spectrum, I'll say this: I like and support Obamacare, both personally and professionally. While I agree that many things about it are not well-executed (the website being a shining example), I think it's a much-needed reform that will bring a lot of good into people's lives. For that matter, I think it will be a huge help to many of the people affiliated with the Drabblecast community, specifically our authors and artists, who may be trying to make a living in the creative world without employer-sponsored healthcare, while at the same time living on very small salaries.

I have some thoughts on this excellent story, too, but I'm planning to give it another listen or read-through before I comment, as I usually do when an episode is particularly outstanding. Also, NaNoWriMo ate my soul. :)
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Splitting 2-part episodes and political hijacks

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:48 am

Yes the episode 304 thread spun out; I've split the "off target" posts to this thread and merged the episode threads like Bo suggested.

Anyone lurking for long would know that there are quite divergent political views occasionally expressed. But this thread did stray a bit too far from story feedback (unless politics and the murder of free republics were in the story? I haven't listened to the episodes yet. ;) )

To any lurkers: The main focus of DC is: "weird", and tentacles, and selling Norm's CD's, and milking whales, etc., etc.

They have 'it'.gif
They have 'it'.gif (67.83 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:54 pm

I do get some sense that some folks may feel uncomfortable in the mere presence of someone who is not a member of their choir. I even felt that way once (when I was young) about employees of a competitor. "You can't trust that guy, he's trying to take food off your table!" But that Solzhenitsyn bit about the line between good and evil passing through each human heart changed my perspective. Everyone is wrong; they just don't know yet about what.
I really hope there are no lurkers who have been inhibited from contributing their weird because some moderators are a different shade of wrong from them. I would urgently hope that our self-acknowledged ideal of weirdness serve as a bridge to see each other beyond the prejudice of right or left, Hutu or Tutsi.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Spoiler:

Varda

Postby Varda » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for splitting off the convo, ASID! :) And that graphic... awesome!

I don't think it's a matter of having different politics per se. I'm happy that subjects like politics are welcome on this forum, and as someone not affiliated with a party and who has voted for candidates in both parties, this is not coming from a place of "I don't like hearing people say things I disagree with". For me, it was just the convergence of:

1) Off-topic
2) Two mods...
3) ...having a conversation about "how can we get more people to post around here?"...
4) ...seasoned with political jokes that ranged from completely within bounds to rather inflammatory and disrespectful toward anyone who might not agree (especially people who, unlike me, don't already know how awesome you guys are).

Speaking as a professional lurker, I see those 4 things together and think, "The mods - people with the power to boot people from the site - seem to be of one mind about their political views, enough so that they're taking it as a given that everyone in the "room" agrees with them. No use even bothering trying to join the convo - I'll just get dog-piled on." ...Which is why I thought it would be helpful to demonstrate how a moderate-to-liberal opinion expressed by a community member gets treated around here (answer: respectfully).

That aside, it's worth pointing out that I have no idea what the politics of the other mods are (and who are the other mods? Tom, right? End of list?). I've never seen the liberal equivalent of a conversation like this go down on the forums, although perhaps it's because I've not been around long enough. (I have talked politics with a couple people from this forum, but that took place over PM's.)

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Back in the day, St Tom championed the forces of progressive beneficence, and reminded the children to mind their manners at the table. And Eric Marsh and ROU, though not moderators, have had free run of the party. As far as the "power to boot people from the site", you may belong to other fora where the nuclear option has been exercised, but I don't think it's ever been done here, (except against spammers and bots, regardless of their views).

So boundaries have been established in the DC culture, and maybe the lurkers, if they lurk long enough, will recognize that good-humored weirdness trumps politics and builds strong community in 12 ways. EG Asian Babies EG Episode 95 Introhttp://www.drabblecast.org/2008/12/28/drabblecast-95-on-dasher-by-jonathan-c-gillespie/

People simply need to look at our political culture through the eyes of a visiting alien to see how ridiculous we all look. Speaking of Lurkers... come on out, wherever you are! We want your extraterrestrial drabbles, in precisely 100 of your equivalent of words.

We don't even care if you're a sock puppet, we want to believe in you, even if you think tea should be drunk hot. We know you're out there. And we think you know who you are.

Spoiler:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 pm

strawman wrote:I do get some sense that some folks may feel uncomfortable in the mere presence of someone who is not a member of their choir.

Yeah, that's human nature and can't be helped. And, politics are relevant on occasion.

Nothing we can do about it except try and moderate when it crosses lines. But, if we could codify those lines into public rules, it might help. (Full disclosure: as best I can tell, I've been moderated down more than any other member on this forum. Plus, I self-censor with almost every post. Just keep reminding myself, "(S)he is so wrong, but the twabble/drabble/story is good.")

Varda wrote:(and who are the other mods? Tom, right? End of list?).

You can get an idea of who has mod powers by sorting the Members page by Rank (descending), although it's a bit muddied by a few "fun" ranks.

The current members who can wield the Hammer of Doom..., doom..., doom... are: Myself, Strawman, Norm, Bo (DBA StalinSays), Tom, and Kevin Anderson (inactive).

Mr. Tweedy was a mod, and quite proficient at slapping noses, but he retired. I'm sure if he wished to return as a mod, he could.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:48 pm

O, and I haven't checked the bylaws lately, but didn't my term expire about 3 years ago?

Spoiler:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Tired of being a mod already? If you "retire", be sure to make it in a blaze of Glory that we can sing about for generations (or at least the next pub crawl).

On a completely unrelated note to Tom: We have good, daily, automatic backups, right?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Wow, been exciting around here, eh?
I've been at a trade show the last week, plus trying to recover.
ASID, I have weekly backups.

I feel uncomfortable with political posts, because it really doesn't have anything to do with the drabblecast. If you get to know the person, you can easily ignore them. But, it still raises the specter of conflict. I'd rather we talk about how an author SUCKED.

:-)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Varda

Postby Varda » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:56 pm

strawman wrote:O, and I haven't checked the bylaws lately, but didn't my term expire about 3 years ago?

I remember that movie. M. Night Shyamalan, right?

I think some basic community guidelines might be nice to have. I actually looked for them when I first joined the forum, because it's always good to know whether a community is okay with a nice F-bomb here and there, or if they're trying to keep things kid-friendly. It also might be nice to include a little directory of DC forum staff (real names not necessary, but a list of handles would be useful). I know the main website has a staff directory, but it might be nice for newcomers to know who the moderators are (as distinguished from people like me and ROU, who are en-titled by virtue of being public nuisances ;) ).

Also, if some people want to talk politics and some don't, maybe the solution is to have a standing off-topic thread or subforum. That way, people can avoid or indulge as they prefer. And we could talk about other off-topic stuff, like this killer Pad Thai recipe I've got, and what the best craft beers are. :D

Drabblescout Badges:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 am

Varda wrote:I think some basic community guidelines might be nice to have. I actually looked for them when I first joined the forum, because it's always good to know whether a community is okay with a nice F-bomb here and there, or if they're trying to keep things kid-friendly.

Start a new thread with your proposed guidelines and maybe we can all agree on a set.
EG:
  • Some R-rated okay. X-rated, probably not.
  • No personal attacks.
  • Keep Episode feedback (mostly) on the topic of the episode.
  • etc.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 am

Varda wrote:Also, if some people want to talk politics and some don't, maybe the solution is to have a standing off-topic thread or subforum. That way, people can avoid or indulge as they prefer. And we could talk about other off-topic stuff, like this killer Pad Thai recipe I've got, and what the best craft beers are. :D

I've long complained that parts of the forum need better organization. Here's a new proposal for Tom:

1. Rename "Don't be Shy..." to "Suggestions". (The threads will be sorted in a moment.)
  2. Rename "SUGGESTION BOX" to "Don't be Shy..."
  3. Under the new "Don't be Shy..." section, create "Website or Podcast problems", "Misc Community", and "Off topic" subforums, in addition to the "Suggestions" subforum.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:12 am

Varda wrote:
strawman wrote:O, and I haven't checked the bylaws lately, but didn't my term expire about 3 years ago?

I remember that movie. M. Night Shyamalan, right?

I think some basic community guidelines might be nice to have. I actually looked for them when I first joined the forum, because it's always good to know whether a community is okay with a nice F-bomb here and there, or if they're trying to keep things kid-friendly. It also might be nice to include a little directory of DC forum staff (real names not necessary, but a list of handles would be useful). I know the main website has a staff directory, but it might be nice for newcomers to know who the moderators are (as distinguished from people like me and ROU, who are en-titled by virtue of being public nuisances ;) ).

Also, if some people want to talk politics and some don't, maybe the solution is to have a standing off-topic thread or subforum. That way, people can avoid or indulge as they prefer. And we could talk about other off-topic stuff, like this killer Pad Thai recipe I've got, and what the best craft beers are. :D

I resemble that remark. the "off-topic thread/subforum" idea was actually tried, with rather spectacular (as far as fireworks go) results. I'll admit, it did give me an opportunity to dust off the old cannons and come out guns blazing, but I, for one, much prefer the first connotation of my dual-meaning screentag over the second.

As for the occasional F-bomb, the powers that be seem to have cut me some slack in deference to the memorial nature of my signature line.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Return to “Tech Support”