Are my eyes deceiving me?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Are my eyes deceiving me?

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 am

Uhhh… Did the forum change?
Yea, it did. I'm trying out some fresh arrangements. I'm open to suggestions is people would like some other specific forums.
And clever names. Miscellaneous? Really? How about something better there. Ideas?

Let me know what you'se guys would like to see.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Are my eyes deceiving me?

Postby Varda » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 am

Loving it already!

We should call the Miscellaneous forum "Cryptozoology", because that's the subforum of biology that deals with miscellaneous and possibly imaginary things.

Also, I know I've asked before, but are you SURE we can't have an off-topic subforum? I would never forgive myself if I didn't ask. Things we could discuss there: our favorite authors, weird articles that aren't quite Drabble News but deserve to be seen, what have I got in my pocketses, and whether if you scalp a Strawman you end up with a cool straw-hat.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:59 am

Well, I already made my suggestions. An "Off-topic or tangent subform would not be amiss, but this is a good step forward.

Now Varda can practice her mod chops by moving the TS threads here. :wink:

Varda wrote:We should call the Miscellaneous forum "Cryptozoology", because that's the subforum of biology that deals with miscellaneous and possibly imaginary things.

Normally, using community jargon is an insanely bad idea from a usability standpoint -- we don't want to confuse newbies too much.

However, in this case, that would be okay, since most people barely notice those white-on-black, subforum names, and the internal subthreads are titled more SEO-ily.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 am

Off Topic created.
Crypto is a good suggestion, but I think there is too direct a tie-in to Connor Choasdworth there.

Varda

Postby Varda » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Off Topic created.
Crypto is a good suggestion, but I think there is too direct a tie-in to Connor Choasdworth there.

Whatsa Connor Choadsworth? :?:

Point taken! :) How about something else that more generally suggests weirdness, like "Curios", "Strange/Arcane Subjects", "Arcana", etc?

Also, I think we should get rid of the T-Shirts subforum altogether, and roll those posts elsewhere (perhaps DrabbleArt or Podcasts and Suchforth). There are only 33 posts there, the T-shirts don't seem to exist anymore as far as I can tell, and no-one on the forums seems equipped to answer questions about them (demonstrated by the most recent post - mine - still waiting for an answer on buying t-shirts).

Now I *could* see a use for a "Drabble Merch" forum, if there were plans in the works for more swag, but once again this is contingent on someone on the forum actually being able to answer questions about it. Otherwise an email address on the main site to the person with the answers would probably be more appropriate.

Also, I think "Drabble Quotes" might be more at home in the "Off-Topic" forum, since it's more of a thread than an idea big enough for its own forum. :)

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04 am

Drabblequotes is also reliquated. There's been plenty of material to post there, but no activity in 4 years tells me it oughta be rolled up.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda

Postby Varda » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Another thought on the boards: I could see a case for adding a forum for the Dribblecast. It would remind people it exists, allow for discussion of Dribblecast episodes, provide a space for interested authors and readers to connect, and also act as a space for general conversations about the practical ins and outs of podcasting. A lot of this has fallen under "Podcasts and Suchforth" up until now, but I think there might be enough there to stand on its own.

Speaking of "Podcasts and Suchforth", I'm having a tough time thinking of what, precisely, that forum is for. I think up until now, it's stood in for the nonexistent "Off-Topic" forum. It might be helpful if we redefined its purpose, or dispersed it to other forums, although I recognize that'll be a headache, as it actually gets used on a regular basis and has been around forever. This is especially true if we split off the Dribblecast-related stuff and some of the more general podcast stuff into its own forum.

Drabblescout Badges:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm

I've started to migrate some posts (hint hint), and have used this working definition of what belongs in "Podcasts and Suchforth":
SWAG definition wrote:This holds posts about Norm's content, OR about podcasts that may be of interest to DC denizens -- but that don't fit in any other subforum.

Obviously, there is overlap and murkiness (As befitting knowledge forum-posts that Man was not meant to know), so further refinement would not be amiss.

Varda

Postby Varda » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:I've started to migrate some posts (hint hint)

:lol: Point taken! I've got the time - I'll sort through it and move posts around this week.

Given that definition, maybe it just needs to be the dedicated Norm Sherman Altar of Worship, and we can separate out the general podcast stuff, either to a Dribblecast/podcasting community forum or to the off-topic area.

Drabblescout Badges:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:57 am

I'm a little whelmed right now. I'll give my suggestions this weekend maybe.

Return to “Tech Support”