Can't find B-sides, using iPad and iPod

Wasselg

Can't find B-sides, using iPad and iPod

Postby Wasselg » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi! My problem is ridiculous-- I've just received my B-sides login info from Norm, but I can't find the feed itself. I listen to the Drabblecast and Drabbleclassics via Apple Podcasts. No variation of 'b-sides' shows up for me in a search there, or within iTunes. When I go the the drabblecast.org, and try to follow the links "iTunes feed" or "MP3 feed" I get pop-up windows saying that the addresses aren't valid.

I use Safari on my both iPad mini or my iPod touch, to identical results.

I did log-in to B-sides successfully on the website.

Does anyone have any advice? I love this community, and want to consume more of it!

(Also, I've tried to download the archived 'historical' files on the website, but the iPad thinks FOREVER and then produces a non-functioning file, extracted from the zip file. Help!)

Thanks for your time and attention!
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Make title more focused

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Can't find B-sides

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Sorry for your troubles, and it's annoying that Apple won't show feeds like B-sides in its store.
I don't have any Apple hardware, so maybe Tom can provide more targeted help?
(The feed:// and itpc:// links work fine from Firefox and Chrome on Windows. Seems like Safari would support them too. But you may have Safari blocked from opening "helper" and/or external applications?)

Meanwhile, this should work:
  1. Open iTunes
  2. In the menu, choose Advanced -> Subscribe to Podcast...
  3. Paste in the URL: http://www.drabblecast.org/feed/b-sides/
  4. Enter your login info
  5. Done. You should be subscribed and iTunes usually starts loading the latest episode immediately.

Wasselg

Postby Wasselg » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:00 am

Thank you for helping me! You're so kind to get involved. Now the truly embarrassing part-- when I open iTunes, I don't see how to open a menu.... Tom, if you're here, where is the menu? I tried loading the iTunes app itself, and then looked in Settings under iTunes, but I'm still missing a critical detail!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:28 am

These are all untested:

Maybe this will help? TS3771 where is the itunes menu?

Or, if there is an icon in the upper left, try clicking that.

Or try pressing Command+B.

Or try pressing Alt+A or Command+A.

Wasselg

Postby Wasselg » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:31 am

These tablets don't have any keys at all. I don't currently have access to a desktop computer, so that precludes the use of your good tips.

I'm surprised that with the popularity of tablets, and Apple in particular, that this issue hasn't come up much. Maybe an Apple person will eventually see this thread...

Thanks again for your help, A.S.I.D.! I really appreciate all of your ideas, and your time.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Can't find B-sides, using iPad and iPod

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:29 am

Sorry for the delay in response, and sorry for the troubles you are having!

The problem is actually much more complicated than it should be. Easy answer- using safari on the iPad, go the drabblecast.org. Enter your b-sides login info in the sidebar, and listen/watch episodes directly from the web page.

Next easiest answer- Use a different podcast player like Downcast. This player natively supports "protected feeds".

To use a protected feed on an iPad, iPod or iPhone, you need to subscribe on a desktop/laptop running iTunes, then sync that podcast to the iDevice. This is silly that you need to do that, which is why something like Downcast exists.

Tom
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 am

tbaker2500 wrote: ... To use a protected feed on an iPad, iPod or iPhone, you need to subscribe on a desktop/laptop running iTunes, then sync that podcast to the iDevice. This is silly that you need to do that, which is why something like Downcast exists.

Don't you just love the Apple Overlords... "silly" isn't the word I'd use :roll:

Wasselg

Postby Wasselg » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for your help, Tom! I'm going to investigate Downcast when I get home. I'd really love to be able to download the B sides themselves, since I have an enormous daily commute! I'll go take a look.

Wasselg

Postby Wasselg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I have the downloads now! Awesome.

I'm grateful for the time you took to help me, ASID and Tom!

Apple is a piece of work-- in the end I have to use iCatcher, instead of Downcast, because Apple won't be releasing an updated ios beyond 6.1.3, and Downcast requires at least ios 7. I'm so glad there are options.

So much hassle, just to be able to relax!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Excellent! Glad you got it worked out.

Ikivoniki

Postby Ikivoniki » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:19 am

Greetings,

So I tried iCatcher and it won't log in fir the b-sides. It just keeps re-asking me for the logon credentials. Any ideas / tricks?

Thanks,

={> Art

Return to “Tech Support”