B-sides problem and a suggestion

El Barto

B-sides problem and a suggestion

Postby El Barto » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:16 am

After a frustrating effort I can safely say I've tried everything I can think of to get my iPhone to subscribe to B sides. No dice, and I think that there's no solution in sight that gets B-sides directly onto our phones so long as it remains as a password protected feed because Apple says they won't list podcasts that are either sold nor password protected.(https://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/creatorfaq.html)

So... here is my suggestion. I understand that you don't want to list the B-Sides feed under its real name because non-donors could so easily freeload. But how about listing the B-Sides feed in iTunes under a different, fake name that has nothing to do with the Drabblecast?

For example, list it as the "journal of cardboard box repair podcast" and then tell your subscribers to go subscribe to that feed.

That would seem to solve almost everyone's subscription problem without any additional risk. Any jerk could tell his friends about the unprotected feed, of course, but that same jerk could be sharing the common username and password for the feed right now.

Thanks!

pondspider

Re: B-sides problem and a suggestion

Postby pondspider » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:44 am

I'm not an iAnything user, but aren't there other ways to get podcasts onto the devices?

In the world of Android, for instance, there are numerous podcatching apps, and the one I use (DoggCatcher) has no problems with the B-Sides login.

Apologies if I'm suggesting the impossible... I know Apple ( :twisted: ) love to tie users to their particular way of doing things, however restricted it may be.

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 pm

I don't download podcasts direct to my iPhone, but I know the Mac version of iTunes can handle things like the B-Sides feed. There's a menu item there, and presumably therefore, also on the Windows version, to hook up to feeds that aren't on the iTunes store. It isn't on the iOS version, because as far as I understand, that one really is just a store browser, but you can get other pod catchers for iOS, and the solution is therefore to either use your Windows/Mac computer to do the download and sync it over to your iPhone when you recharge it. (You can sync iOS devices wirelessly too) or check the iPhone Ap Store for a pod catcher that will do the trick.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:37 am

I'm sorry you had difficulties!

If you subscribe in iTunes, and then sync your iTunes podcasts to your iphone, it will add the feed.
The other option is to use a podcatcher like Downcast. It handles password protected feeds natively.
Put this link (itpc://www.drabblecast.org/feed/b-sides/) into either solution to subscribe, then enter your username and password.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Return to “Tech Support”