Ranking the forums

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 pm

The reason I'm straying from squids is that they're really difficult to represent at 24x24, no other reason (I love me squidies). The Elephants I'm getting away with by just using the heads, but then squids don't really have any.

I was going to use the logo tentacle for 'drabble rabble' so that squids aren't left out of the visual system completely. Dunno, I'm open to alternatives.

I like the stacked elephants over beast classics because it shows a progression. I'm envisioning someone pushing for 'upgrades' to their rank with each post. Plus Squid Viscous and Lucifoul got punked out, and Hellagoodaphant doesn't associate with b*tches.

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:33 pm

You could probably get away with showing mostly the squid's malevolent eyeball...
Advertise in this space!

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Hey Stalin, you seem to have some time on your hands (I am guessing that coordinating mega-beasts and forum rankings, etc is merely a diversion)... would it be possible to customise the emoticons on the forums?

I wanted to smile at TBaker2500 this evening but the emoticon I chose was not drabbley enough (only two eyes).

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Ferret god. One of the ranks has to be "ferret god".

--------------------

On an unrelated note: This forum has gotten way too cluttered. It took me several minutes to find this thread because I had to hunt through the 27 (count em) different sections to locate it. This is nuts. We need to have, at most, 10 main divisions. If even a moderator occasionally gets lost, then noobs are sure to.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:46 pm

What's the use of being a Czar if you can't wipe entire countries off the face of the map?
I realize this is Holy Ground, and it would have been nice if Mrs. Nehemiah hadn't let the Ark of the Covenant go in that yard sale...
But you could make a back-up scroll in the Sacred Archives, and we could have access to it's simulated soul.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

jonathancg

Postby jonathancg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

In honor of the Nigerian opportunities presented here on a regular basis, one of the titles should reference that, like "Kindest Sir" or something like that.

Some other ideas:

Vampire Fish
Happy Tadpole
Tower Architect
Little Brother(tm)
Singularity
Hubble Pimp
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Ferret god. One of the ranks has to be "ferret god".

Forgot this one, but yeah Norm had mentioned it too, I will get it in.

Mr. Tweedy wrote:On an unrelated note: This forum has gotten way too cluttered.

I'm 100% with you, but I don't think there's anything we can do. I've poked around, and there appeared to be know means of archiving. I've felt for a while about half the forums could disappear, or at least be closed by default. My only idea is that perhaps this option would be available with the paid version of the forums. But that's more a wish than anything I can confirm, all the upgrade info talks about is more bandwidth and customized themes.

Phenopath wrote:would it be possible to customise the emoticons on the forums?

A titillating concept. I would say a very strained 'mmmaayyybbbeee.' They're linked from somewhere, but that doesn't mean we have any access to replace those files. But who knows, I will see.

jonathancg wrote:In honor of the Nigerian opportunities presented here on a regular basis, one of the titles should reference that, like "Kindest Sir" or something like that.

I like it, but I don't know what it would be for an image? It'd be a tad strange were it say, a Nigerian

jonathancg wrote:Vampire Fish
Happy Tadpole
Tower Architect
Little Brother(tm)
Singularity
Hubble Pimp

I'd eliminate any redundancy with stories, because I'm set on doing 'chrono probe.' Not sure what rank Hubble Pimp could be, but I do like it. Which episodes are Happy Tadpole and Vampire Fish from? Not that horrifying video on drabblenews, yes?

jonathancg

Postby jonathancg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 am

The same. And the vampire fish...isn't that the name for the fish in the Amazon that believes the happiest place in the world is a snug fit in the male urethra?
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Add Better Forum Ranks

Postby Varda » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 am

I thought I'd stop derailing the story feedback and take this thought here. Tom mentioned adding some new forum ranks. Assuming this is possible, I think that we should change the basic "Member" rank to "Weirdo" for everyone, then implement custom titles based on #posts made (provided it wouldn't have to be done manually every time someone hits a new rank).

For other ranks, you could do notable animals of the DC:

- Mer-Baby
- Parasite
- Cryptid
- Purple Giraffe
- Megabeast
- Deathworm
- Nandi Bear
- Quisatz Douche Baggar
- etc, etc
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Add Better Forum Ranks

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Sounds good, but don't use "Weirdo". Even though some of us no longer mind that we are weirdos, that word rips open too many scars. :cry: ;)

'Cides we are all "Strange listeners", not weird ones.

Maybe use "Unseasoned", so that our lord may discern our taste that much easier when he awakes.

Varda

Postby Varda » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Awww, c'mon! I always get warm fuzzies when Norm calls us Weirdos. :)

Okay, "Strange Listener" then, if we must. Although "Strange Listener" as the default forum rank seems kinda redundant to me, since that's already at the top of the screen in the banner.

"Unseasoned" is cute, but I might go with "Polyp" or "Mer-Baby"to describe a Drabblecast noob.

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Varda wrote:Awww, c'mon! I always get warm fuzzies when Norm calls us Weirdos. :)

That's not norm-al.

I know some folks who get very "warm" when I call them [censored]s and spank their [oh my!]s. That doesn't mean those terms should be used as labels in polite company!

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:I know some folks who get very "warm" when I call them [censored]s and spank their [oh my!]s. That doesn't mean those terms should be used as labels in polite company!

Is that what they call the "West Coast Offense"?

Spoiler:

Varda

Postby Varda » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Leave it to ASID to prefer being called a, ah... member.

Weirdo.

Drabblescout Badges:

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
Varda wrote:Awww, c'mon! I always get warm fuzzies when Norm calls us Weirdos. :)

That's not norm-al.

I know some folks who get very "warm" when I call them [censored]s and spank their [oh my!]s. That doesn't mean those terms should be used as labels in polite company!

Geez, I WISH i knew folks like that. Most of the time when I'm unleashing the "spanking hand" all I hear is "I'm going to HR!" and "I'm getting a restraining order!" and "this is assault!"
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 am

You need to increase the dosage of alcohol... and/or blackmail material. It also helps if you can get their creepy, estranged uncle to break them in for you, when they are much younger (except if you know in advance that the uncle is going to do this, you must call the authorities in).

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Better forum ranks? Gosh, I dunno. I mean, if it ain't broke...

:)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:08 pm

ROU, you been spending too much time strumming your guitar. You ain't quite as notorious as you once wuz. C'mon and fuck with the culture, buddy. Or at least feel it up a bit.

Spoiler:

Varda

Re: Ranking the forums

Postby Varda » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 am

Merged two similar topics and bumped, because I don't want this idea to die. I'm amused I'm not the first person to think of "mer-baby"!

Drabblescout Badges:

Return to “Tech Support”