kinda insulted

This is the place for tangental conversations
ionaut

kinda insulted

Postby ionaut » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:44 pm

on your latest episode you had an advertisement for an all bases covered band. I was a little insulted that the song about atheism played them as arrogant assholes who knew for sure there was no God. I do not know one atheist who actually takes the position of knowing anything for sure. In fact that's the whole point. Atheists may come off is arrogant to believers but that's only because they refuse to automatically believe with no evidence. all bases seem to be covered except for not believing. all the other songs seem to be in praise of this belief or that but not non believers, they're just assholes right? I know it's a parody album, but why be jerks to atheists and nobody else?

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: kinda insulted

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Looking at Norm's lyrics:
Somehow I Know

You don't know that there's a God
But somehow I know there isn't
And when we die there's nothing more
I'm absolutely certain

God is a construct that weak people use to cope
God is fairytale, there is no hope!

It's true that the "absolutely certain" and "no hope" parts are inaccurate descriptions of most atheists I know and know about. But give the guy some poetic license. 8)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm with ASID on this one. (Although I personally believe that without positive or negative proof that, technically, everyone is agnostic. It's just that some are optimistic and others pessimistic. I leave it to the individual to decide which ones are the optimists and which the pessimists. ;-)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:24 pm

It would be weird if this makes you feel better, but I'm not an atheist, and I felt insulted.
But I was also entertained by the fact that Bases Covered is a common trope, inclusive of rainbow worship, politicians, and My Little Pony.

I heard a piece this week about why the Nigerian Scam Spammers were so obscenely, stupidly ridiculous. They want to weed out potential responders, to seperate the merely "Incredibly gullible" from the rarer "needs a legal guardian". That made total sense.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ionaut

Postby ionaut » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 pm

well he makes cthulhu worshipping sound friendlier than atheism. I'm not actually pissed or anything but we've already got tea party senators saying that homosexuals an atheist should be stoned in the streets. I just think a song about atheists would be funnier if it were more about living in a godless world and less about a negative stereotype. I mean would you blow it off if they took exactly what you believe in (or don't believe in) and essentially said you are an asshole for believing it instead of just making light of that particular cosmology. all the other songs sounded like they were fairly positive parodies of those other cosmologies.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:05 am

ionaut wrote:... I'm not actually pissed or anything but we've already got tea party senators saying that homosexuals an atheist should be stoned in the streets.
and essentially said you are an asshole for believing it instead of just making light of that particular cosmology. all the other songs sounded like they were fairly positive parodies of those other cosmologies.

Either provide a credible reference for that Tea Party statement or retract it and apologize. Keep in mind, also, that there have only ever been 5 people in the senate that were affiliated with the Tea Party movement.

Also, you've twisted Norm's words. He did not say anyone was an asshole for believing anything.
I'm starting to get a troll vibe here and I'm not going to engage much more. If Norm wants to apologize that's his business.
As a fellow atheist (NOT an agnostic, but also NOT "absolutely certain"), lighten up about such minor sh*t.

As a moderator, I'm serious about that reference or retract bit. The DC forums have a limited tolerance for political slurs. I should know; I'm a past offender.

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Well, I just read the lyrics post, and chuckled all the way through. It's kind of difficult to write a religious parody of a belief system without deities.

Still, we atheists are, as has been pointed out, quite prepared to have it proved categorically that we are wrong. And even more prepared to have it categorically proved to us that there's time for another one before Closing Time. :D
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

ionaut

Postby ionaut » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Sorry, Senate candidate. http://firebrandprogressives.org/oklaho ... -to-death/
And I'm not a troll, I was a little offended.

And at the very least implied atheists are hypocrites while everyone else is equally valid.

I apologize for feeling stung.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Scott Esk was a candidate in the Republican primary for State representative -- one of many. He lost the primary and got a whopping total of 231 votes. That's a far, far cry from a Senator -- or even an elected official at all.

And, after several searches, I've yet to find any evidence that he received any Tea Party support.

So, what we have is an attempt to tar a whole movement of millions based on the statements of one fringe wannabe with the loosest of associations.

Sort of like the exaggeration of the atheist stereotype? But with none of the humor and 100 times the maliciousness.

In summary:
  • It's okay to feel insulted about songs with exaggerations that don't apply to all members of the "targeted" group.
  • Don't expect much sympathy from fellow "victims" when the parody is light hearted, has more than a grain of truth, and lacks a hostile "punch".
  • We should be much more insulted about vicious political attacks of: gross exaggeration, soundbite over substance, guilt by the most tenuous of associations, and strawman attacks.
  • When making political statements on the DC forums: (1) Think twice, (2) Make sure it's on topic, (3) Present just verifiable facts, without exaggeration (unless it's bipartisan funny)

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:37 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: ...and strawman attacks.

:oops: just sayin'...

Spoiler:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:06 am

Aw, don't be sad, Strawman. Everybody in Washington loves (to use) you!

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:27 pm

If so, they have selected a dull (and flammable) tool.

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Also worth noting that, were I A) a scientologist and B) bereft of a sense of humor, I might have been somewhat offended.

As it is, good Bbardle, Norm. You took just to the edge.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

bounceswoosh

Postby bounceswoosh » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Given that all bases covered is supposed to pander to all religions, why would it pander to atheists?

I for one consider myself at least agnostic, found it funny, and don't see any need to take offense. As my dad would say, fer cryin' out loud!

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm

I agree. Atheists are just the fundamentalists of the other type.

Spoiler:

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:47 pm

strawman wrote:I agree. Atheists are just the fundamentalists of the other type.

Atheist Fundamentalism? Now there's an idea to play with...

We could take over a small town somewhere and then slowly expand our insidious rationalism until we have the whole world in our power! :evil:

PS:- Mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm

SpareInch wrote:We could take over a small town somewhere and then slowly expand our insidious rationalism until we have the whole world in our power! :evil:

Okay, but please start in Eastern Europe or Cambodia... Oh, wait! :shock: :(

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 am

Some trust in chariots. Some trust in insidious rationalism. :P

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Wow ASID, I'm impressed. You've gone from an offender to a enforcer very nicely!

ionaut, I understand feeling slighted. But one thing you need to recognize about Norm, is that he is one of the kindest people I know. He often makes me uncomfortable with the mirror he holds up to my own emotions, but I'm a better person for it. And you can bet, that if he makes fun of something you align with, he has made some of himself already.

That being said, ASID is right on being careful about accusations around here. It's very easy for these to escalate, and I will boot the ass of people who pick a fight.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:44 am

Man all this talk about serious topics, but no one is addressing the biggest issue here, namely when is that Bast song going to be released?

As someone that once spent six hours trapped in a tiny car in a blizzard on a highway, the intarwebz and its silly cat pictures kept me from going stark raving insane.

I need that damn song.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

Return to “Off-Topic”