kinda insulted

This is the place for tangental conversations
gunsofchekhovia

Re: kinda insulted

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:12 pm

This is the second-weirdest thread I've ever seen in the DC forums.

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm

gunsofchekhovia wrote:This is the second-weirdest thread I've ever seen in the DC forums.

Citius, Altius, Fortius!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:59 am

As the other primary participant in "the great DC flame war" I echo the cautions already given.

That way lies buzz-kill.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:38 pm

strawman wrote:I heard a piece this week about why the Nigerian Scam Spammers were so obscenely, stupidly ridiculous. They want to weed out potential responders, to seperate the merely "Incredibly gullible" from the rarer "needs a legal guardian". That made total sense.

That's a valuable insight.

My own resistance to such scams at least excludes me from the "needs a legal guardian" group, but doesn't answer the question: Where do I sit on the gullibility spectrum?

And another thing... Why is it always Nigerian? Don't these people have any imagination?

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:20 am

pondspider wrote:And another thing... Why is it always Nigerian? Don't these people have any imagination?

Local regulations in the country are very lenient on that sort of criminal activity, and many people there are in dire enough financial straits to consider conning the (perceived to be) wealthy West as an ethically justifiable option, plus the country overall has enough money and infrastructure that computers and cell phones are relatively easy to acquire.

(I say perceived to be wealthy because most of the actual victims of these scams tend to be fairly low in the ranks of capitalism overall; it's a rare millionaire that would be tempted by the offers made by scammers.)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:06 am

gunsofchekhovia wrote:This is the second-weirdest thread I've ever seen in the DC forums.

It's been awhile since I've been a poster of notoriety, but if you search back I bet you can find stranger ones. (Strawman will back me up on that. We're two of the usual suspects who always get dragged in for questioning.)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Return to “Off-Topic”