Titles

This is the place for tangental conversations
unseentangerine

Titles

Postby unseentangerine » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:08 am

I want to ask, What is it in a story title that makes you click on it or not click on it?

From my own drabble submissions, because I alone know what the author was thinking and why he chose such and such a title, it seems that independent of quality or theme some stories get hundreds of views quickly and some (especially ones I thought would be more popular than others) get much fewer. Of course, Star Wars being the same all but for a new title, Luke's Daddy Issues, would have been received very differently. Titles are critical in all forms of media. I'm curious! Lemme know.

Is it description of the story contents?
Is it strange sounding, interest piquing?
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Titles

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:46 am

Keep in mind that time-of-day may play a factor. Some read only what's recent when they log in... Don't have time to read all.

Some titles are much more effective at attracting search engines -- which seem to get counted in the "views" -- and spam. ("Dreams", "Real estate", NSFW topics, etc.)

Stop expecting the world to be just.

PS: The right "consideration" couldn't hurt. :twisted:     *holds hand up, rubbing thumb back-and-forth over fingers*

unseentangerine

Postby unseentangerine » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 am

are you suggesting a hand massage would make search engines find my stories more easily? :?
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 am

unseentangerine wrote:are you suggesting a hand massage would make search engines find my stories more easily? :?

Maybe; that sounds like the story would have a happy ending.

What makes me click on a story is usually author recognition or something similar. The title really has to catch my eye in order for me to click on it. I'm so pressed for time I only have time to read a few stories here and there.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:39 am

Spindaddy wrote:
unseentangerine wrote:are you suggesting a hand massage would make search engines find my stories more easily? :?

What makes me click on a story is usually author recognition or something similar. The title really has to catch my eye in order for me to click on it. I'm so pressed for time I only have time to read a few stories here and there.

So what you really look for in a story title would be something like--

Naked Elf Fight Club, By JRR Pratchett

Right?
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:10 pm

SpareInch wrote:
Spindaddy wrote:

So what you really look for in a story title would be something like--

Naked Elf Fight Club, By JRR Pratchett

Right?

You had me at Naked.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

Return to “Off-Topic”