Nominations: Best Story : 2013 People's Choice

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Nominations: Best Story : 2013 People's Choice

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am

Best Story

Please nominate your favorite stories from the last Drabblecast year. Choose from Episodes 272 through 311, and B-sides 20 through 39.

Important A: This is the best story award, which means:
  1. Interview and filk podcasts have been ruled ineligible.
  2. For double-headers and trifectas, vote for the individual story, not the episode, EG: 281A or 281B.

Important B: Management has deemed that only stories whose authors "were alive at the time they signed their contract" with Drabblecast are eligible. Also, stories by Norm himself are ineligible.

In accordance with the above, the content, of the following episodes, is ineligible for best Story: 273, 284, 289, 291, 300, Bsides 20, Bsides 22, Bsides 24, Bsides 25, Bsides 26, Bsides 28, Bsides 31, Bsides 34, Bsides 36, and Bsides 38

Instructions:
  1. Nominate your 5 favorite episodes in a reply, below.
  2. Please include the episode number for each of your nominations.
  3. Nominations close March 1st.

Episode List:
Links are provided to both the audio/main page for each episode and for the forum thread for the same.

272 (audio | forum) Power Armor: A Love Story by David Barr Kirtley
It was quite a party. The women wore gowns. The men wore tuxedos. Anthony Blair wore power armor. …

274 (audio | forum) Amid The Words Of War by Cat Rambo
Every few day-cycles, it receives hate-scented lace in anonymous packages. It opens the bland plastic envelope to pull one out, holding the delicate fragment between two forelimbs. …

275 (audio | forum) A Riddle In Nine Syllables by Carrie Vaughn
After the attack, my team brought me straight to the med lab at base camp. They must have commed ahead, because as soon as the stretcher went through the door seals, Dr. Traynor was yelling orders. …

276 (audio | forum) Hullabaloo by Diane Turnshek
The Town Council meeting was split down the middle — Hullabaloo colonists on the one side and Fenella Elane Tyne on the other. Jerram stood in the back and admired the way Fenella strove to convince the tired farmers. …

277 (audio | forum) The Universe of Things by Gwyneth Jones
The alien parked its car across the street from the shop and came and sat down in the waiting room. The mechanic must have seen this happen, peripherally. But he was busy settling the bill with a smartly dressed middle-aged woman, to whom he’d taken an irrational dislike. …

278 (audio | forum) The End of the World as We Know It by Dale Bailey
Between 1347 and 1450 AD, bubonic plague overran Europe, killing some 75 million people. The plague, dubbed the Black Death because of the black pustules that erupted on the skin of the afflicted, was caused by a bacterium now known as Yersinia pestis. …

279 (audio | forum) The Country Doctor by Steve Utley
Gardner was drowning, and strangers were laying hands on the bones of my forebears. I felt obligated to see that liberties weren't taken with my grandmother, my great-grandmother, and other good, God-fearing ladies, so I put the business on auto pilot and made the drive as if on auto pilot myself. …

280 (audio | forum) Trifecta XXV
280A Try My Shank by Kenton K. Yee
280B Morning Espresso at the Church of Me by Anthony J. Rapino
280C Dead Jimmy and the Selkie by Iseult Murphy
You've been one-legged since the lasso trap. Your personal ad says "Kids: undecided" even though you desperately want two. When the maître d' shows you to your blind date’s table, you are pleased with her prominent forehead and symmetric face. …

281 (audio | forum) Doubleheader XII
281A The Breadcrumbs Man by Frank Key
281B Pabstus Tack by Frank Key
Pabstus Tack, Pabstus Sludge, Pabstus! Pabstus! Of him we sing. We sing his praises, it seems to me, for want of anything better to do. Pabstus Tack sits on his great golden throne, belching out light, a blinding light as gorgeous as it is uncanny. …

282 (audio | forum) Liane The Wayfarer by Jack Vance
Through the dim forest came Liane the Wayfarer, passing along the shadowed glades with a prancing light-footed gait. He whistled, he caroled, he was plainly in high spirits. Around his finger he twirled a bit of wrought bronze—a circlet graved with angular crabbed characters, now stained black. …

283 (audio | forum) The Man Who Drew Cats by Michael Marshall Smith
Old Tom was a very tall man. He was so tall he didn’t even have a nickname for it. Ned Black, who was at least a head shorter, had been ‘Tower Block’ since the sixth grade, and Jack, the owner of the Hog’s Head Bar, had a sign up over the door saying ‘Mind Your Head, Ned’. But Tom was just Tom. …

285 (audio | forum) Doubleheader XIII
285A Locked In by Mary Robinette Kowal
285B Clockwork Chickadee by Mary Robinette Kowal
Samuel sat on the balcony, enjoying the fading light of day. When the ventilator pushed air into his lungs, he savored the salt brine from the sea. He pretended that he had control over breath, but it was much a fantasy as adjusting his wheelchair. …

286 (audio | forum) Unique Chicken Goes in Reverse by Andy Duncan
Father Leggett stood on the sidewalk and looked up at the three narrow stories of gray brick that was 207 East Charlton Street. Compared to the other edifices on Lafayette Square—the Colonial Dames fountain, the Low house, the Turner mansion, the cathedral of course—this house was decidedly ordinary, a reminder that even Savannah had buildings that did only what they needed to do …

287 (audio | forum) Sweetie by Michelle Ann King
Audiences have so little respect, these days. Admittedly, my little traveling show isn’t what it once was. We’ve been on the road for a long, long time. But I like to think that for the discerning customer, we still provide value for money. …

288 (audio | forum) Bayou Witch by Caitlin Thiele
Cat’s tail flicked impatiently back and forth across Elle’s face. She resisted the urge to brush it away. Mud tugged at her feet, and putrid water soaked through her shoes. She ducked beneath a low hanging branch dripping with old man’s beard. It trailed over her shoulders, and evidently Cat, who dug his claws into her scalp slightly in payback. …

290 (audio | forum) The Screaming Door by Hampus Flink
It has been two hundred days since the door to my study began screaming. I was nodding over a volume of Edwin Corang’s collected prose when I first felt it; a curious ripple that moved through the room, standing my hair on edge, followed by the sensation of coffee spilling into my lap as the screaming began. …

292 (audio | forum) Hollow As The World by Ferrett Steinmetz
One of the reasons Joshua loved Lydia as much as he did was all the secret rituals they’d devised. Their shared jokes were treasured secrets, never to be shared with the other kids at high school; some days, the way Lydia could send Joshua into high titters with a raise of her pierced eyebrow was the only thing that kept Joshua from slitting his wrists. …

293 (audio | forum) The Call Of The Pancake Factory by Ken Liu
The bar is plenty kitschy: goofy statues made from coconuts everywhere and strings of shell beads hanging from the ceiling. I smile when I see a coconut sporting a pair of mouse ears made from scallop shells. …

294 (audio | forum) Partial Inventory by Helena Bell
The air conditioning only worked when the speedometer crept past 70 MPH which the lumbering GMC van (on loan from a friend of a friend who took pity on the family and their situation) rarely did. …

295 (audio | forum) Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You by Sarah Pinkster
1. A poisonous snake could bite you, and you could die.
2. You could prick your finger on a previously undiscovered poisonous cactus.
3. The cactus isn’t poisonous, and neither is the snake, but the snake’s venom is a powerful anti-coagulant. You could bleed to death from the place you were bitten and/or pricked. …

296 (audio | forum) Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain by Cat Rambo
Over the years, Tikka’s job as a minor propagandist for the planet Porcelain’s Bureau of Tourism had shaped her way of thinking. She dealt primarily in quintets of attractions, lists of five distributed by the Bureau: Five Major China Factories Where the Population of Porcelain Can Be Seen Being Created; Five Views of Porcelain’s Clay Fields; Five Restaurants Serving Native Cuisine at Its Most Natural. …

297 (audio | forum) The Apothecary?s Apprentice by Craig Lincoln
In the back of the shop I scrubbed three large cauldrons clean, stripping the seasoning from them because Master Aloz insisted on it once the trade caravans stopped coming at the end of summer. Tallow, he called me, on account of my paleness. …

298 (audio | forum) Flying On My Hatred of My Neighbor?s Dog by Shaenon Garrity
I know my neighbor’s dog as a bark: a deep, dark, venomous yawp that begins and ends on a snarl. It’s loud, louder than it should be. Earplugs do nothing. …

299 (audio | forum) The Revelation of Morgan Stern by Christie Yant
It is July 31, your birthday, and I can’t reach you. I’ve been trying all day, but the cell networks are down, the internet is down. I even tried a pay phone–there are two left in town that I know of, and I collected all of my change and walked to the 76 in the village. It was on fire. …

301 (audio | forum) Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower
Just as we were all getting back into the mainland domestic groove, somebody started in with dragons and crop blights from across the North Sea. We all knew who it was. A turncoat Norwegian monk named Naddod had been big medicine on the dragon-and-blight circuit for the last decade or so …

302 (audio | forum) The Next Logical Step by Ben Bova
“I don’t really see where this problem has anything to do with me,” the CIA man said. “And, frankly, there are a lot of more important things I could be doing.” …

303 & 304 (audio part 1 part 2 | forum) Hero, The Movie by Bruce McAllister
This romantic comedy begins where all low-budget ’50s creature-features ended: The mutant insects born of atom-bomb radiation (or invaders from space, or monsters from the sea, or fifty-foot women) have at last been defeated and our small-town hero, with girlfriend Janie or June or Betty at his side, must now face the rest of his life. …

305 (audio | forum) Testimony Before an Emergency Session of The Naval Cephalopod Command by Seth Dickinson
The squid is a solipsistic psychopathic God with a lust for submarine hull and a mandate from Ronald Reagan branded on its hunting tentacles. It sweeps east from Iceland in the cold under thethermocline, alone in the dark, solitary lord of a solitary place. …

306 (audio | forum) Trifecta XXVI
306A Tea Baby by Spike Marlowe
306B Spiders by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam
306C Tea-killer by Zoltán Komor
While sipping my tea in the morning, I find a small, only two inches long, naked female corpse on the bottom of the cup. Her white skin fades int the white porcelain, tiny gobs of tea leafs cover her round breasts. …

307 (audio | forum) Unbelief by Michael Marshall Smith
IT HAPPENED IN BRYANT PARK, a little after six o’clock in the evening. He was sitting by himself in lamp shadow amongst the trees, at one of the rickety green metal tables along the north side, close to where the Barnes & Noble library area is during the day. …

308 (audio | forum) Happy Old Year by Tim Pratt
The night I met Elsie I was up on the roof of my apartment building with a bottle of Kentucky Gentleman, because it’s sort of like bourbon, but cheaper, and better at blotting out reality. …

309 (audio | forum) All the Young Kirks and Their Good Intentions by Helena Bell
2249 A.D.All the young Kirks in Riverside Public High School are assigned to the same Homeroom class. They sit together in the back corner on the far side from the door. They speak only to each other. …

310 (audio | forum) The Ugly Chickens by Howard Waldrop
My car was broken, and I had a class to teach at eleven. So I took the city bus, something I rarely do. …

311 (audio | forum) Birds of the Air by Joe Pitkin
Thomas takes his lunch outside the shelter, on one of the park benches that look out over the interstate and down all the way to the containment pond. He has wondered whether a passerby seeing him from the highway would know whether he worked at the shelter or was one of its clients. …

Bsides 21 (audio | forum) On the Return of Pabstus Tack by Frank Key
Pabstus Tack came back! He’d been away to sea. The sea was vast and wet. That is what he told them, at the symposium held to mark his return. He was not believed, at first. How could anything be so vast?, so wet?, they asked. He had an implausible air, and a ratty moustache. The moustache was new. …

Bsides 23 (audio | forum) Picobeasts by Robert Reed
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
5.0 Stars
“Technological marvel, and affordable too!!!”
After disappointing experiences with related products, I decided to take a chance with the new Picobeast Remote Camera, Model TA-55. What a wonder! …

Bsides 27 (audio | forum) I Don't Know, Timmy, Being God is a Big Responsibility by Sam Hughes
Tim already had his bag and overcoat on and his keys in his hand and was about to leave when Diane stopped him at the door. “I just got this thing working. You have to come and see it.” …

Bsides 29 (audio | forum) The Lemon-Green Spaghetti-Loud Dynamite-Dribble Day by William Tenn
Testimony of Witness No. 5671 before the Special Presidential Investigative Commission. Leonard Drucker, thirty-one years old, unmarried, of 238 West 10th Street, New York City, Borough of Manhattan, employed as a salesman by the Har-Bern Office Partition Company of 205 East 42nd Street, New York City, Borough of Manhattan. …

Bsides 30 (audio | forum) The Tribe by Daniel Vlasaty
The grass is cool against my skin. A nice contrast from the burning hot sun hanging in a sky the color of pale skin, sickly and suffocating. I’m naked but I think I’ve always been this way. …

Bsides 32 (audio | forum) Headlife by Margaret Atwood
“Everything on the list,” says Quentin.
“Expensive,” says Dr. Derwent. …

Bsides 33 (audio | forum) Free Range by Bruce McAllister
After she lost interest in the green eggs — yes, green chicken eggs (taste the same, look dyed, so what’s the point?) — my neighbor Johanna started raising black chickens. …

Bsides 35 (audio | forum) Teaching Bigfoot to Read by Geoffrey W. Cole
Dear Bigfoot,

Life on the moon sucks. Dad got home early from the air factory today and I wasn’t done cleaning the dishes from breakfast so he broke my breakfast bowl over my head. Guess I’ll have to eat out of his bowl tomorrow. …

Bsides 37 (audio | forum) Parasite by Leslie J. Anderson
There was a black, one-way window between me and my father, watching my interrogation. I imagined he was looking down at me with the rest of the generals on the second story. …

Bsides 39 (audio | forum) Becca at the End of the World by Shira Lipkin
I nestle the video camera on its makeshift tripod, carefully centering my daughter’s image. She tucks her hair behind her ear and gives a strained smile. She is sixteen, and that hair is long and golden–kissed light brown and straight; she has the gangly grace only teenagers have, that sleek gazelle form. She is wearing khaki shorts and a striped tank top, and the bite mark on her arm is already putrefying. …

afgrappin

Re: Nominations: Best Story : 2013 People's Choice

Postby afgrappin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 pm

My nominations are:

BSides 39
BSides 35
BSides 23
Episode 300
BSides 27
Don't follow your dreams. Live them.

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Episode 273, "The Electric Ant"
Episode 283, "The Man Who Drew Cats"
Episode 286, "Unique Chicken Goes in Reverse"
Episode 296, "Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain"
Episode 310, "The Ugly Chickens"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Here are my picks. I think 2013 was a particularly outstanding year for the Drabblecast. These are all stories I've foisted off on many a friend since they ran:

298 - Flying On My Hatred of My Neighbor's Dog by Shaenon Garrity - Perhaps my most favorite podcast episode of anything, anywhere.

299 - The Revelation of Morgan Stern by Christie Yant - Goes into my "Crying In Public" hall of fame

292 - Hollow As The World by Ferrett Steinmetz - A perfect story, really deep, and plus Minecraft.

274 - Amid The Words Of War by Cat Rambo - One of my favorite Cat Rambo stories. I especially love how well-designed the alien species was. Psychologically completely different from humans, but thanks to the amazingness of the writing, completely relatable.

286 - Unique Chicken Goes in Reverse by Andy Duncan - Because Flannery O'Connor destroyed MY life too. There, there, poor priest-guy.

Since I don't like to pick well-decorated "classic" stories when I nominate stuff for awards, these are honorable mentions and all had great readings and production:
"Bloodchild"
"The Electric Ant"
"Headlife"
"Fungi from Yuggoth" compilation
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

BraveKiddo

Postby BraveKiddo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:46 pm

299 The Revelation of Morgan Stern by Christie Yant: Not only my favorite story of 2013, but one of the best stories I've listened to on Drabblecast so far. One of the stories that will never leave my IPod.

303 & 304 Hero, The Movie by Bruce McAllister: I liked the first part, but wasn't totally convinced until part two, which really brought it all together for me.

282 Liane The Wayfarer by Jack Vance: Great classic, immediately got "Tales of the Dying Earth" to read more of that Vance-goodness.

283 The Man Who Drew Cats by Michael Marshall Smith: I think I knew this story before Drabblecast, but I loved this episode despite knowing from the beginning how it would develop. One of the stories I tried to make some of my always-reluctant-when-it-comes-to-recommendations friends listen to, without success, unfortunately.

A big thank you to everyone working on this podcast for an amazing year of stories. You're the second podcast I ever listened to and easily my favorite. Time to reactivate my PayPal account and finally donate you the money you more than deserve for the three years of quality stories I had the privilege to listen to.

munsi

Postby munsi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 am

293 - The Call of the Pancake Factory
295 - Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You
298 - Flying on my Hatred of my Neighbor’s Dog

...only picking three, because i REALLY want one of these to win. all are amazing in very different ways.

TheBigBadG

Postby TheBigBadG » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:07 pm

First off, I wonder if it would be worth separating out the B-sides now they're not universally available? As for the picks:
1) #299 - The Revelation of Morgan Stern - Less nihilistic than The Road, full of complexity and some great imagery.
2) #301 - Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned - for the really vitriolic production as much as anything. This one particularly shines as an example of podcasting complimenting a story/ Perfect choice of narrator too.
3) #274 - Amid the Words of War - I had to listen to this a few times to really soak it all in. Apparently 6 is a number, mind...
4) #289 - The Cold Equations - Because it doesn't always have to be about the twist. Sometimes the implacable and uncaring logic of existence just is. Pretty harrowing, I thought.
5) #281B - Frank Key's DoubleHeader - Pabstus Tack if you want one in particular. Because, well, how come he hasn't won one yet? I mean he's clearly a genius.

Andrew Styles

Postby Andrew Styles » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:24 am

Here are mine!

#1 283 The Man Who Drew Cats
#2 281B Pabstus Tack
#3 288 The Bayou Witch
#4 294 Partial Inventory
#5 309 All The Young Kirks And Their Good Intentions

Cheers!
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Mismatch between ep number and ep title (284=>288)
"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! http://www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 am

303&304
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 pm

BraveKiddo wrote:303 & 304 Hero, The Movie by Bruce McAllister ...
A big thank you to everyone working on this podcast for an amazing year of stories. You're the second podcast I ever listened to and easily my favorite.

I noticed that you only nominated 4 stories. For the purposes of this award, 303 & 304 only count as one.
You may nominate another story if you wish.

Also, on behalf of the producers of the podcast**, you're welcome! Glad you like it.
(**I'm not one, but I do their bidding (mostly).)

afgrappin

Postby afgrappin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:02 pm

My additional nomination to make up for the one that has been rmeoved from the list of valid nominations is:

*drumroll fail*

298 (audio | forum) Flying On My Hatred of My Neighbor?s Dog by Shaenon Garrity
Don't follow your dreams. Live them.

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:45 pm

One of my nominations having been invalidated, I further nominate:

303 & 304 -- Hero, The Movie

samuelvictorwood

Postby samuelvictorwood » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Here are my picks:

277 The Universe of Things
283 The Man Who Drew Cats
298 Flying On My Hatred Of My Neighbor’s Dog
305 Testimony Before an Emergency Session of The Naval Cephalopod Command
308 Happy Old Year

This was indeed a great year for the Drabblecast. I greatly enjoyed all the stories, but these are the ones that stand out now when I look back. Keep up the great work, Norm!

Marmabean

Postby Marmabean » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 am

Here are my choices!

299 The Revelation of Morgan Stern by Christie Yant
302 The Next Logical Step by Ben Bova
275 A Riddle In Nine Syllables by Carrie Vaughn
295 Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You by Sarah Pinkster
301 Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 am

Damn... Only 5.
Well... I'm going to skip Morgan Stern, because enough other people have nominated it. It really deserves a spot, but so do these, my choices:

280C Dead Jimmy and the Selkie by Iseult Murphy
283 The Man Who Drew Cats
298 Flying On My Hatred of My Neighbor?s Dog by Shaenon Garrity
311 Birds of the Air by Joe Pitkin
Bsides 33 Free Range by Bruce McAllister
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

noeyesmcgee

Postby noeyesmcgee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 pm

305 is my favorite but here goes

Cumbrous&Unlovely

Postby Cumbrous&Unlovely » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:50 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:20 am

Thanks, and welcome aboard, Cumbrous&Unlovely!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am

BSides 23 – Picobeasts
305 - Testimony Before an Emergency Session of The Naval Cephalopod Command
303 & 304 - Hero, The Movie
283 – The Man Who Drew Cats
272 – Power Armor: A Love Story

Trusty Nautilus

Postby Trusty Nautilus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 am

Return to “2013 Drabblecast People's Choice Awards”