Login now required to read contest stories

Description, Rules, Discussion
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Login now required to read contest stories

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Someone expressed concern that the stories were visible to the general public and index-able by search engines.
So, we have switched the Contest submissions area to require you to be logged in to read the stories. You can still respond to them normally.

On another note, now that the contest is finished, the contest area will be moved further down the page in a few days. You might have to scroll to see it when that happens.

SpareInch

Re: Login now required to read contest stories

Postby SpareInch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:19 am

I just know this is going to sound sarcastic, but honestly, I don't mean it that way.

But isn't it a bit of a Stable Door precaution? The problem as raised on another forum where we discussed this contest was that the entries were technically being published, so those who didn't win the prizes couldn't then try to sell their stories elsewhere unless they took reprint rates.

I don't know the ins and outs of publication rights, but I'm not sure going members only at this stage makes any difference to that.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:38 am

SpareInch wrote:I don't know the ins and outs of publication rights, but I'm not sure going members only at this stage makes any difference to that.

Maybe not. There's a lot of conflicting information out there and I don't want to restart that debate here.

People above my paygrade asked me to do it, so I did. We apologize for not keeping the stories private in the first place.

If anyone has real trouble (not hypothetical) selling a story at "First print rates" that they otherwise sold as a reprint, they should contact Norm. He might be able to help.

Penman Bland
Location: The Barren Wastes of (slightly western) south Canada

Postby Penman Bland » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 pm

For my own part, I'd comprehended the open format of the contest and submitted in the expectation that Avery T. Deacon Harriegh* and the web-bots of the world would be able to have a gander for free. Since this thread appeared, I've been wondering whether there would have been more or less entries if it had been more clear that the whole affair was out in public, or similarly if it had been explicitly occult from the get-go.

...but wondering without asking any of those involved. I have a notion I wouldn't have had a try if it had been under the same lid as Short Storied (Members Only) department, but I don't claim to know my own motivations so well as to be able to form a certain opinion.

In contests as yet unconceived, it's probably a good idea to settle the public/private thing ahead of time and stick it in the rules, just to save the extra work this switching of availability must have been.

Spoiler:
T stands, of course, for "Tom"
Euphonious phony tsunami

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:34 pm

It's very important to some of the people that help(ed) run Drabblecast, and also to some who are trying to become professional writers, that their stories not be fully public without a $ale.

So, I imagine that is the way things will be set for any future contests. (Note that I am not "the decider", so my imaginings are not Gospel.)

SpareInch

Postby SpareInch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 am

I don't think it's purely the money, although it comes in handy for paying the bills, but the fact that many publication markets are very particular about getting FIRST publication rights. Just take a look at the submissions page for Daily Science Fiction, where the editors are so emphatic on this point that they state, three or four times in a row, that they don't take reprints, just to make sure the message gets across. So if all you have to offer is reprint rights, it limits the number of venues you can sub to.

As for whether or not the number of entries was increased or decreased. Well, it made no difference to me personally, but I know of others who may not have entered if they'd realised they were losing first pub rights. I'm not deputised to speak for them though, so I'll leave it there.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Return to “Cat with Blue Fur contest”