'Twas the Night - Lyrics

Lyrics & comments. Bbardles are CC licensed - share all you like!
User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

'Twas the Night - Lyrics

Postby normsherman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:13 am

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the edifice
Not a creature was stirring, neither mouse nor St. Nicolas
The stockings were hung by the aperture gaping
Where smoke, in it's wisdom, had 'ere been escaping

Downstairs my uncle was strapped down in bed
While visions of ichor danced round in his head
His nightmares of late had been growing much stronger
And sense dared not trespass his mind any longer

Once a learned professor at Brown University
My great-uncle had often, in secret, conversed with me
In his study at night, over manuscripts moldering
With a pipe at his lips, always lambent and smoldering

All that research of his, into cults esoteric
Strange symbols and glyphs and arcane numerics
Of that Dutch survey crew and their frenzied report
Of a vast arctic city filled with sunken faced dwarves

And that journal recovered from one 'Ensign Lamar'
Which references "He that rides beasts through the stars"
Gloaming and heaving with corpulent dread
Bloated, batrachian and covered in red

And then there's the relic in my uncle's display:
A 4-sided top carved of wood, or some clay
With symbols engraved into each of its sides
That surely must tell of coming end times

I was pondering this manifold doom that would smite us
When out from my window shone a miasmal brightness
How the pale gibbous moon shown down on his back
Which bulged with the throngs of some hideous sack

With some alien ululations in a primordial tongue
He froze me in place, and unable to run
I was forced to bear witness to things vile and foul
So unspeakably horrid I can scarce speak them now

He summoned his steeds by their blasphemous names
And with his gangrenous grasp he pulled down on their reigns
Then suddenly upwards that noxious horde flew
That red bellied nightmare rising up from my view

Cacodemoniacal laughter I heard from my roof
And the lumbering clomps of thick octopoid hooves
Then repugnant and hoary, his stench filled the air
While he writhed down my chimney as I watched from the stairs

He spoke not a sound as then off from his back
He heaved up that thick throbbing cyst of a sack
And from it a stench came so charnel and dense
That I nearly passed out when he drew from it thence:

An Amazon Kindle, and a few pairs of nice socks
A sweater, a tie, and Call of Duty: Black Ops
Law and Order Season V on Blueray DVD
And an espresso machine,...hope he kept the receipt

Then all at once swung round this tenebrous being
And with dark ancient eyes of unfathomable seeing
Their biliferous blackness spanning eons extinct
Revealing my own maddening fate, with a wink

Then into that monolith of chimney he lurched
With the gelatinous frenzy of invertebrate birth
Ripping free to the roof he launched into the night
With a vow to return when the stars are just right
***
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
Djinndustries
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby Djinndustries » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:10 pm

How much do I need to pay Bo to get him to do an illustrated kid's book version of this?

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Heh. Not a bad idea.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby StalinSays » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Djinndustries wrote:How much do I need to pay Bo to get him to do an illustrated kid's book version of this?


s'good idea. I have my rates. Which are embarrassingly cheap. It would of course only be possible for a 2012 holiday release. But then what would be the point? Christmas 2012 occurs 4 days after the consensus End of the World (12/21/2012). Piles of dust don't do gift exchanges...
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby normsherman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:50 am

Last year, a guy that worked for an animation company wrote me telling me how much he loved the show. I actually asked him if there was any chance I could get this poem animated by him and his people, something along the lines of this--

http://vimeo.com/17911948

That's by Neil Gaiman, it's even a 100 word Drabble people. And I wish to God Gaiman would let us buy/produce more of his stuff but he's given us a firm NO.

Anyways, a story book sounds awesome, but Gaiman's video went viral quick. I think this poem would translate awesomely with animation too.

Oh, the guy I mentioned at first kinda dropped the project. I don't think he was into Lovecraft or really 'got it' is my guess. But if anyone knows anyone with good animation chops lemme know! Lovecraft is going to catch on more and more with the mainstream for sure.
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
Djinndustries
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby Djinndustries » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 am

StalinSays wrote:
Djinndustries wrote:How much do I need to pay Bo to get him to do an illustrated kid's book version of this?


s'good idea. I have my rates. Which are embarrassingly cheap. It would of course only be possible for a 2012 holiday release. But then what would be the point? Christmas 2012 occurs 4 days after the consensus End of the World (12/21/2012). Piles of dust don't do gift exchanges...


I don't mind getting it in just after Halloween, you know, like most retailers. That gives me almost a month of revenue and 3 weeks to spend it before utter annihilation.

Can you PM me with rates? If "Go the F*** to Sleep" can work, so can this!

User avatar
Djinndustries
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby Djinndustries » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:28 am

normsherman wrote:Anyways, a story book sounds awesome, but Gaiman's video went viral quick. I think this poem would translate awesomely with animation too.

Oh, the guy I mentioned at first kinda dropped the project. I don't think he was into Lovecraft or really 'got it' is my guess. But if anyone knows anyone with good animation chops lemme know! Lovecraft is going to catch on more and more with the mainstream for sure.


I think a viral video would be good, too, but having a physical book would be really great, too. Can you imagine this as a tradition? Okay, kids, gather round the aperture! A nice, square stocking stuff kind of book a la Gashlycrumb Tinies. I would buy the shit out of that book. Translates well into e-book format for the Kindle Fire and as an App for the iDevices. $.99 for each download? Delish. Propaganda for the show? Yesssssss....

The only thing is that the Call of Duty Black Ops and Amazon Kindle may not translate well by 2035---maybe.

Image

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: 'Twas the Night

Postby normsherman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 am

Djinndustries wrote:
normsherman wrote:Anyways, a story book sounds awesome, but Gaiman's video went viral quick. I think this poem would translate awesomely with animation too.

Oh, the guy I mentioned at first kinda dropped the project. I don't think he was into Lovecraft or really 'got it' is my guess. But if anyone knows anyone with good animation chops lemme know! Lovecraft is going to catch on more and more with the mainstream for sure.


I think a viral video would be good, too, but having a physical book would be really great, too. Can you imagine this as a tradition? Okay, kids, gather round the aperture! A nice, square stocking stuff kind of book a la Gashlycrumb Tinies. I would buy the shit out of that book. Translates well into e-book format for the Kindle Fire and as an App for the iDevices. $.99 for each download? Delish. Propaganda for the show? Yesssssss....

The only thing is that the Call of Duty Black Ops and Amazon Kindle may not translate well by 2035---maybe.

Image

I'm old school at heart and yes, a page will always dominate a link in my estimation!
"Give us all some Jelly"


Return to “Bbardle”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron