Drabblecast 264 – The Belonging Kind

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 264 – The Belonging Kind

Post by StalinSays » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:32 am

Feature: The Belonging Kind by John Shirley and William Gibson
Drabble: Belonging by Jeff Johnston

Friday, November 16th, 2012
It might have been in Club Justine, or Jimbo's, or Sad Jack's, or the Rafters; Coretti could never be sure where he'd first seen her. At any time, she might have been in any one of those bars. She swam through the submarine half-life of bottles and glassware and the slow swirl of cigarette smoke... she moved through her natural element, one bar after another.

Now, Coretti remembered their first meeting as if he saw it through the wrong end of a powerful telescope, small and clear and very far away.

Art by Kathleen Beckett

Twabble: “ Thursday was a dream come true for Arthur. Unfortunately for him it was that one where you find yourself naked in school. ” by PhineasQP
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 264 – The Belonging Kind

Post by Unblinking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 pm

This felt like old-school SF/horror in the best of ways. A bit slow to take off, but managed to be intriguing, a gradual build to the moment of the reveal (which to me was the moment that he walked in and found all the Belonging Kind nesting together, creepy and surreal). Interesting to see how a supernatural race of creatures could evolve to blend in amongst us while still getting their sustenance.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 pm

I liked this story. It works as Unblinking understood it. But I thought it also had a strong Kafkaesque element, almost certainly inspired by Shirley and Gibson's common personal experience of social voyeurism. To be a proper voyeur, an observer, you need to be an outsider.

Normally, the sense of belonging is induced by the alcohol. They dissect the process: what if the alcohol has no effect? What else could account for the superficial, synthetic social lubrication?

Add to that interesting premise good pace, rhythm, and imagery, and you get an FTW result.

Only one small nit to pick: Coiffed is not "koyft", but quaffed. (Those frenchies are untrustworthy with appearances.)
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:58 pm

strawman wrote:Only one small nit to pick: Coiffed is not "koyft", but quaffed. (Those frenchies are untrustworthy with appearances.)
True true. Norm seems to mispronounce two words consistently: "coiff" and "foliage".

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:03 pm

strawman wrote: Only one small nit to pick: Coiffed is not "koyft", but quaffed. (Those frenchies are untrustworthy with appearances.)
Oops, you're right-- thanks for pointing that out!
Foliage is an instance of the rural south old-timer in me rearing his metathetic head.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:33 pm

normsherman wrote:
strawman wrote: Only one small nit to pick: Coiffed is not "koyft", but quaffed. (Those frenchies are untrustworthy with appearances.)
Foliage is an instance of the rural south old-timer in me rearing his metathetic head.
Is that a southern dialectic pronunciation?

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Unblinking wrote:
normsherman wrote:
Is that a southern dialectic pronunciation?
A southern dialect mispronunciation :)
"Give us all some Jelly"

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:07 am

strawman wrote:Coiffed is not "koyft", but quaffed. (Those frenchies are untrustworthy with appearances.)
As in the bitter cup. I suspect the "dialectic pronunciation" of being marxist, as in Groucho.

On topic, I thoroughly enjoyed this story, very noir, I thought, as if William Burroughs had crept into Dashiell Hammett's dreams. As with all DC stories I thoroughly enjoy, I find it difficult to find anything to say about it - not being a writer myself, and having no aspirations to become one, I'm not really in a position to comment on style or form, and unless the sory inspires me to feel philosophical, all that remains would be "great story, great delivery, blablabla", which is silly. On the other hand, I'm well aware that a podcast like DC depends on interaction with the listeners to keep going. There's no money in it, and without the expressed gratitude of the consumers, I can't think of any other motivation to keep tossing these excellent productions into cyberspace. Which is by way of saying thank you, Norm.

jason todd

Post by jason todd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Realy liked this one at the biggining I thought it would be kinda dull but loved it overall I especially liked the scene where he found them nesting felt kinda lovecraftian
cthulu's hard to comprehend?, you've obviously never tried talking to a girl

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I liked the production of this show. Norm, you are getting really damn good.
The problem is, the production masked the lack of story. The pace was really, really slow, with a concept that I "got" right away. It felt like much ado about nothing. Different strokes, I suppose.
Great drabble and twabbles. I'm consistently impressed with what this listenership comes up with.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:51 pm

It was somewhat plodding to start, I will agree, but the story never outright dragged, at least to my ears. Detailing this after-hours world, subject to an 'alien' invasion, seemed pretty important to the authors, and I thought they did a nice job of it.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I think if you dig a story, the details seem great. If you don't, the details seem like dragging.

I'm confused. Was there an actual invasion going on? It just seemed to me to be a diatribe about how people morph to fit, while they do it via mimicry, they are not as happy on the inside as they appear. Pretty much what Norm said in the intro.

jason todd

Post by jason todd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:I think if you dig a story, the details seem great. If you don't, the details seem like dragging.

I'm confused. Was there an actual invasion going on? It just seemed to me to be a diatribe about how people morph to fit, while they do it via mimicry, they are not as happy on the inside as they appear. Pretty much what Norm said in the intro.
thats a good point it can been seen as an invasion of these creatures ,slowly deciving their way to world domination but i saw it as more of a species that had been around just as long as or from man and will forever be there in plain sight as they kinda require humans to thrive like rodents and the such
cthulu's hard to comprehend?, you've obviously never tried talking to a girl

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:27 am

They don't need to be aliens to be a different species. But we all know what that feels like.

On the other hand, maybe we don't.

It is just as possible that we, the UNbelonging kind, are the foreign species, which explains why we feel so unnatural and socially awkward.

Oh. You don't?

Can I purchase you a beverage?

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 am

Sorry, I don't drink. :oops:

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:14 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Sorry, I don't drink. :oops:
Which would explain your absence from B-Sides confabulations. :)

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:54 pm

strawman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Sorry, I don't drink. :oops:
Which would explain your absence from B-Sides confabulations. :)
Tom must really be thirsty by now.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:32 pm

That's what IV's are for!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 pm

jason todd wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:I think if you dig a story, the details seem great. If you don't, the details seem like dragging.

thats a good point it can been seen as an invasion of these creatures ,slowly deciving their way to world domination but i saw it as more of a species that had been around just as long as or from man and will forever be there in plain sight as they kinda require humans to thrive like rodents and the such
That's what I took from it too. They're no more invading aliens than the raccoons that steal my birdfeeder. They're adapting to human society, and those that adapt to us the best breed and make the next generation.

I think that, yes, it was a metaphor for people who don't fit in with the general populace well, also

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Yeah, the metaphor was not lost on me. There is a reason our main character was the man he was.

I threw the single quotes on 'invasion' with reason. That aspect was intentionally left vague. Perhaps 'infiltration' would be better phrasing. It does have a body snatchers vibe, especially considering the story concludes with main character becoming one of these creatures.

Any guesses as to why a portrait of Jesus is mentioned in the scene where he is exercising his new found powers and creating money. Not sure where the religious iconography fits in to my conception of the story. His transformation under that cloud. Some reference to being born again perhaps?