Drabblecast 265 - Pop Quiz

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 265 - Pop Quiz

Post by StalinSays » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Feature: Pop Quiz by Curtis James McConnell
Drabble: A Good Magician by Lawrence Simon

Thursday, December 6th, 2012
“By the Earth-Stypei Treaty of The Twenty-third Local Year of Our Interaction, as amended, suspected Stypean sympathizers may be detained by duly empowered authorities only so long as the unbreachable sovereignty of the Stypean body-host is not violated, and only for the purpose of deportation upon confirmation of Stypean inhabitance. Tests to determine inhabitance are only permissible if they do not breach body-host sovereignty in any fashion. The breaching of a body-host as well as the deportation of a non-Stypean body host to Stypean space shall constitute an act of war and a resumption of hostilities between the two worlds”

Warning: Explicit Language

Episode Sponsor-- Frank Key's New Short Fiction Anthology "Brute Beauty And Valour And Act, Oh, Air, Pride, Plume, Here Buckle!"
Art by David Flett
Read by: Jacob Dahlke

Twabble: “ There is NO LIFE on any other planet. We are unique. Surely We are made in God's glorious image. Feathered upon hatching. ” by GreatNorthernTroll
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

chemistryguy

Re: Drabblecast 265 - Pop Quiz

Post by chemistryguy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Wow. You just knew that the test was complete b.s. and there was going to be a twist at the end, but the resolution was just humorous enough and so completely believable that it gave me chills. Bravo, too, that the title positively screamed the ending.

Couple that with the perfect atmosphere and you've got nothing but win.

Really enjoyed the twabble as well. I found it slightly disturbing as Norm and I said "nice" at exactly the same time.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Very fun and enjoyable. I was watching for the secret test behind the test but I didn't anticipate it. I'm a little skeptical that the test would be as effective as it was, but my amusement at the story does not depend on that being true.

And the world that the author created for this purpose was very interesting, with the legal concept of a foreign embassy being applied to a human body. Law generally reacts to new developments more slowly than most everything else--I wonder how long the aliens had to be around for that to get enacted. Though I guess in the case of this kind of Red Scare situation, things will get pushed through much faster.

purplemur

Post by purplemur » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Unblinking wrote:I'm a little skeptical that the test would be as effective as it was
One of my co-workers had a long strip of bubble wrap hanging over the side of his cubicle a couple of days ago. All day long, I could hear the "pop, pop, pop" of passersby pausing to help destroy this little piece of packaging. Now I have to wonder about those who just walked by, oblivious to the joy right there before them. :wink:

Feature: I really liked this story a lot. I felt that the peculiar legal situation was described well enough that I wasn't confused, and having it read out like Willy's Miranda Rights was an effective delivery of said description. The little hints as to the state of the world and how it had moved on from our present day were also quite effective in painting a fairly complete picture in my mind, and the characters were all developed quite well for such a short piece. I would be interested in further stories in this world.

Twabble: Interesting. Makes me wonder what other features God possesses.

Drabble: I just wish the magician was a bit more paranoid and scared of his rabbit. I know I would be.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -Dirk Gently (Douglas Adams, R.I.P.)

silverflute

Post by silverflute » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Awesome. :lol: I loved this story. I actually wasn't waiting for a plot twist, I thought things were going to go in a more deep-statement-about-war-and-abu ghraib kinda direction. How we're all essentially made up of countless different alien colonies, confounding our current instances of tribal conflict and sectarian violence. Was a little off there!
Spoiler:
The ending is obvious, obviously, with the well-timed reveal. Revisiting the title afterward was wonderful. Very clever!
I appreciate that Drabblecast runs these kinds of stories here and there. I would never call them 'fluff' but they are the shorter, less heavy type that are nice to just enjoy and flirt with on a memorable morning jog. I loved the Belonging Kind, Sand & Slag and other major league pieces that the podcast has done the past few months, but it's nice to never know what you're going to get, in all regards.

And great narration, a slower pace would have made the story drag and the reader sounded very much like I imagine the Willy character would have.

Also, wish I had something to hock! Norm sure does a good job making adverts feel less like adverts.
"Frank Key doesn't just write words, he makes sweet love to them till they pee red."
(Wonder if that quote ever makes it's way in Key's CV.)

Nougat Nozzles was a fun ride. Loved the Buck Rogers throwbacks and the polarizing penguin paranoia. Enjoyed much of Frank Key's last book, going to have to pick this one up too.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Hells yea!! This is an absolutely perfect Drabblecast episode. Start off with a fantastic piece from Frank Key, produced by Norm. Great stuff. Then you have a main story that embodies the essence of the Drabblecast. Quirky, surprising, well written with a great ending. Couple that with great twabbles and drabbles, and the package is complete. Bravo!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Concur. And I agree with silverflute about the short, twisty varietals being generally my favorites.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Let it not go without mention that David's art is pitch perfect. I pictured the protagonist(?) a squat, shifty man - and there he is.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Dolohov

Post by Dolohov » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Most enjoyable. I spent the whole time convinced that the real test was some reaction to the fingerprinted paper. The real ending was a pleasant surprise.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Yes, art was excellent.
The thing about the art, is you don't really see it for what it is until after you've listened to the episode. I've often tried to guess what an episode will be about by looking at the art, but've not succeeded yet. However after listening, the great art really completes the equation.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:57 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Yes, art was excellent.
The thing about the art, is you don't really see it for what it is until after you've listened to the episode. I've often tried to guess what an episode will be about by looking at the art, but've not succeeded yet. However after listening, the great art really completes the equation.
Yes, the most important part is right in the image, but it doesn't seem that important in retrospect. That's my favorite kind of art. Beforehand it presents a puzzle to try to figure it out--afterward it makes so much sense and is even more awesome knowing how it was used. Especially in this case where the character didn't know the significance of the bubble wrap either.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Great episode. I loved not knowing whether he was or wasn't occupied until the very end, and was actually expecting to be occupied. Great twist, great concept, bravos all around.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Thu May 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Wow, this episode encapsulated everything I've come to love most about the Drabblecast! Great Drabble, Twabble, art, story, and production. And Norm's reading of the Frank Key piece? Epic. Dare I say... a touch Shatner-esque, even! Was that intentional, or am I just projecting?

Loved the feature story, and the well-written surprise ending, and the way it casts the title in a whole new light. Perfect episode all around, and I will be using it in my door-to-door DC witnessing campaign from now on.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)