Drabblecast 293 – The Call of the Pancake Factory

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 293 – The Call of the Pancake Factory

Postby StalinSays » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Feature: The Call of the Pancake Factory by Ken Liu
Drabble: Lovecraft by Chris Munroe
Genres: Comedy Horror

Thursday, August 22nd, 2013
The bar is plenty kitschy: goofy statues made from coconuts everywhere and strings of shell beads hanging from the ceiling. I smile when I see a coconut sporting a pair of mouse ears made from scallop shells.

Tourists from all over the world are sitting around, ordering drinks non-stop because the sun is so hot at this time in Indonesia that you’ll wilt if you go outside and also because the drinks are so watered down. But that’s all right with me. I’m here to blend in, not to get drunk.

Lovecraft Month

Episode Art: Bill Halliar
Read by: Rish Outfield and Big anklevich of the Dunesteef Podcast

Twabble: “ "Grains," said the vegetarian zombie hoard. Farmer Bill aimed his shotgun. The alfalfalypse wasn't happening today. ” by MonsierMoustache
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Standardize" format. Add or correct links.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Flintknapper

Re: Drabblecast 293 – The Call Of The Pancake Factory

Postby Flintknapper » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:11 pm

It was unexpected, but it was everything I have come to expect from Liu. Loved it. Cthulhu meets global marketing venture capitalist. It was a funny approach that really twisted things, but it didn't come off as over-the-top. Good fit for the Drabblecast too!

It leaves me drooling for the last story in Lovecraft Month.

strawman

Postby strawman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 am

I would have liked Otto to sound more ominous. The faux-spooky voice contributed to the telegraphing of the story plot. But nice resolution.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Hilarious story! Even though the ending was very telegraphed, as Strawman pointed out, I enjoyed being in on the joke the whole time, getting to see the, eh, "Pancake Factory" imagineer coming up with perfectly reasonable theme park ways to interpret his experiences. Sorta the flip side to that famous quote about highly advanced tech looking like magic to a more primitive people; here we have the supernatural being read as highly advanced smoke and mirrors to a guy very jaded by a lifetime spent among the smoke and mirrors.

And I was dying for Cthulhu to eat Otto. Wish fulfilled in spectacular fashion. :D Why, oh why, can't every month be Lovecraft Month? Do we haveta wait a whole 'nother year? At least there's always Halloween...
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

El Barto

Postby El Barto » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Enjoyable story for sure. The ending was so telegraphed that I was expecting a different twist, but I enjoyed it OK just the same.

The Lovecraft Drabble was perhaps the best Drabble ever. Well done!

Rish Outfield

Postby Rish Outfield » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 am

Really, guys, you all saw the ending coming? I totally expected the "Pancake Factory" rep to be the one who got eaten by Cthulhu . . . and I was that Pancake Factory rep.

But ah well. This story worked perfectly well for me, and it was an honor to get to narrate it.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Unlike you more erudite listeners, I had no idea where this story was going. I was just sitting in the in the ride, waiting to see what was around the next turn.
Great story! Another DC commissioned HIT!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Anybody else missing the cover art and chapter markers on this episode?

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:22 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Anybody else missing the cover art and chapter markers on this episode?

Missing for me, too.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:12 am

I had read this story:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/thereisnofatebutwhatwemake-turbo-charged-cracking-comes-to-long-passwords/
just hours before listening to this episode. I thought this paragraph was relevant:
Yiannis Chrysanthou, a security researcher who recently completed his MSc thesis on modern password cracking, was able to crack the password "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn1." That's the fictional occult phrase from the H.P. Lovecraft short story The Call of Cthulhu. It would have been impossible to use a brute-force attack or even a combined dictionary to crack a phrase of that length. But because the phrase was contained in this Wikipedia article, it wound up in a word list that allowed Chrysannthou to crack the phrase in a matter of minutes.

Timing, eh?

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I was not expecting anyone to learn anything or have any kind of epiphany. I thought Otto would get eaten, and the Pancake Factory rep would leave having been utterly amazed by the show and wondering how Pancake Factory could ever compete. Immensely entertaining. Great job as always, Rish and Big.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Wow, Ken Liu wins the Hugo for Best Short Story this year and Drabblecast simultaneously runs an original commissioned story by him the very same week. Norm, you little Napoleon you.

I thought the reading and performance was great for this one but it was probably my least favorite of the Lovecraft stories this year. The humor just didn't resound with me a whole lot for whatever reason, and that was pretty much the main thing the story had going for it. The ending was fun though and all-in-all it was still a good story.

cinnamon

Postby cinnamon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Oh god I loved this story so much.

I was listening to this episode while I was painting my garage, so I was slightly distracted and didn't see the ending from TOO far away (usually I try to keep myself blissfully ignorant of seeing endings coming, anyway) and finally when I realized "Is he going to... ?" I busted out laughing and startled a bunch of people at a garage sale across the alley.

So well done, DC. Not only a great story, but a bunch of normals got creeped out.
Mush, Baby!

tamarbucks

Re: Drabblecast 293 – The Call of the Pancake Factory

Postby tamarbucks » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:05 am

Loved it. Fantastic capitalist - an excellent opportunist! And to play the big, scary thing by feeding its ego. That just made it really work. Home Office will be delighted.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”