Drabblecast 307 – Unbelief

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 307 – Unbelief

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Feature: Unbelief by Michael Marshall Smith
Drabble: Stay Warm This Christmas by Larry Hinkle
Genres: Drama
Warning: Violence and explicit language

Thursday, December 19th, 2013
IT HAPPENED IN BRYANT PARK, a little after six o’clock in the evening. He was sitting by himself in lamp shadow amongst the trees, at one of the rickety green metal tables along the north side, close to where the Barnes & Noble library area is during the day. He was warmly dressed in nondescript, casual clothing and sipping from a Starbucks in a seasonally red cup, acquired from the outlet on the corner of Sixth, right opposite one of the entrances to the park. He queued, just like any normal person: watching through the window you’d have no idea of who he was, or the power he wielded over this and other neighborhoods.

Episode Art: Oskar Kunik

Twabble: “ Bigger stocking, more candy, thought Tim. He didn't get any candy, but everyone agreed the severed foot fit perfectly. ” by Varda

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Drabblecast 307 – Unbelief

Post by StalinSays » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:58 pm

The main character's name threw me.
Spoiler:
I thought we were dealing with some Neil Gaiman'esque conference of supernatural beings, that this was the immortal, biblical Cain. So far as I could tell, he was just a hitman with some baggage.

Solid musical interludes Mister Sherman. I dub thee lad 14: bone-tickler.

..funny bone. Wait, what were you thinking?
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

TheBigBadG

Post by TheBigBadG » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Damn you Sherman, you've just made me feel festive with that meat hook song...
Spoiler:
With the story, I had the same thing as Bo but it wasn't major issue for me. I like resonance in names (likely a hangover from studying Dickens at school) and Cain is about as classic a name for a murderer as you can get.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:47 am

I am way behind on story feedback, but wanted to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. The intro/outtro had me in stitches, and put me in the proper spirit for my yearly viewing of "Rare Exports". Sick and twisted Christmas is the BEST Christmas! :D

I thought Norm's intro and song upstaged the actual story itself, which was fun, but sheesh, you guys! MEAT HOOK! There's just no following that.

I'm with Bo in that I was disappointed the hitman didn't turn out to be more supernatural than he appeared up front, but still, good story. :)
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:22 am

I'm behind. But, this was a FANTASTIC episode. Norm, you always make christmas right.
I was playing some of your previous christmas music at our company holiday party. Alex asks what I'm playing, I tell him. Looking at the little kids there, he groans and asks if I really want to do that to the kids. :-)

Back to the story, I'm guessing the supernatural aspect of santa is what required the multiple shots? I'd have thought one would pretty clearly stop "ho ho ho" function.
I was glad there was nothing more to Cain. And the wife's reaction to him on christmas morning, man that showed just how cold things are. Well done.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.