Amazon to produce The Culture series

Would have beena great fiction story...if it was fiction
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Amazon to produce The Culture series

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Obviously this news makes me one happy rapid offensive unit.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Chairman Goodchild

Re: Amazon to produce The Culture series

Post by Chairman Goodchild » Fri May 25, 2018 3:20 am

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. On one hand, I'm glad it's happening and I'm glad either Amazon or Netflix got the rights to produce it. On the other hand, Consider Phlebas is being adapted, and that makes me nervous. Consider Phlebas was the odd duck of the series. It's hard to imagine Hora Borza as the protagonist in a miniseries, and the whole story gives a really skewed look at The Culture. Having said that, I really liked the book. Many people didn't, but I really enjoyed it. However I can understand why people say to start with Player of Games first.

I think that the best books to adapt would be from later in the series. I would have picked either Matter or Surface Detail to adapt. But I think the best thing to do would be to not adapt any book, but use The Culture series as setting and come up with new characters. That would have been the best way to do it, in my opinion.

So I'm a bit nervous. Here's hoping it will be more like The Expanse or Altered Carbon and less like Star Trek: Discovery.