Still alive?

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
ChrisFletcher

Re: Still alive?

Post by ChrisFletcher » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:36 pm

ScubaMan wrote:I loathe to add grist to the rumour mill.
I loathe that there's a rumor mill to add grist to. If Drabblecast is done, why not a quick note from Norm to say as much? If it's finance, same answer. If they've moved onto other things, same answer.

I don't think the silence is exactly fair on everyone.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks." - Douglas Adams.

Hellcat

Post by Hellcat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:07 am

The last drabble was January 2017, and haven't seen anything since. Is it lack of funds or interest, or is Norm working on other podcasts / roaming the country and going wild with his music? Really hope they update with some kind of news, otherwise we'll have to make a truly mythical eulogy.
"And then it rained cake." (Jingo, Terry Pratchett)

Blog: http://then-it-rained-drabbles.tumblr.com/

My Illustrations : http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady-cerridwen/"

My fan art:
mystic2u.deviantart.com

McLaughin

Post by McLaughin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:29 am

I'm not sure anybody knows what happened, which I guess is the way of things. If I was guessing, I'd say that life got in the way. Norm tweeted out back in July about staying tuned, but I think life might have gotten in the way again. At this point, I just poke around here from time to time and keep an ear out.

Pelyphin

Post by Pelyphin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 pm

I've noticed the Drabblecast for the past several years, but I just recently found it. The vibe is a little strange at first, but once you get it? There's nothing else like this. There are some excellent narrators out there (like Kate Baker), and Norm is right up there with them, but the music tips the scales. The music is perfect, amazing. The rest of the format - the bookends - the drabbles, twabbles, the occasional song, whatever inspiration leads to - this is the most coherent magazine in audio form I've seen.

The Starship Sofa tries - apologies to Tony, and maybe it's just me; maybe it's just not my cup of tea - but the Drabblecast keeps the focus on the fiction, within a credible magazine format. I usually skip the extraneous SS stuff; I listen to the Drabblecast from beginning to end. I guess I must be a "strange listener."

Norm has tremendous talent; the 'zine has heart and soul, and apparently quite a ...community (I just showed up here to make this post, so I'm not going to pass judgement one way or the other on you people). I will say - I might as well - that this place is a community the way Innsmouth is a place to live.

This is essentially the perfect audio e-zine. It has legs (there might be an extra joint or two, but that's all to the good). So I show up here, looking for something to get into, and it's gone AWOL? ...why?

This is what I hate about so many internet projects. Everything's coming up roses (...nematodes? Well-water fouled by a color out of space?), then one day... nothing. Millions of people hit the page over and over, and nothing ever changes. No explanation. I would hate for the Drabblecast to fall to something like that. There is so much potential here; it would be so easy to spend one or two minutes and let everyone who cares know what's what.

I'll help read the slush pile; I might be some use as an editor. I'm broke, but if there's financial trouble, I can find some room to give. Pay me a living wage, and I'll move into your house (...?). I believe in this place. I'm standing in the chamber; I have my head to the floorboards. Listening for the slow and constant beat of the master's tell-tale heart.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's burnout. Norm and the DC crew put a tremendous amount of effort in and I'm sure it was a constant struggle to stay above water.

But the fact that there's been no official shutdown is a good thing. It leaves open the possibility of future stories.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Chairman Goodchild

Post by Chairman Goodchild » Fri May 25, 2018 9:52 am

I'm hoping it's a burnout, and I hope Norm is okay, wherever he is. And hopefully he'll return one day with a story to tell.

It would have been very nice for this Podcast to have been folded into the Escape Pod collective like Cast of Wonders. I'm a bit disappointed that didn't happen. It would have allowed Norm some recovery time as well as kept the show and fanbase alive. I guess it's pointless to speculate why that didn't happen.

There are still many episodes I haven't listened to yet, and I come back from time to time to listen to a few, and revisit a few favorites. And the forums aren't completely dead either. It's interesting to see who still comes back to post. Hopefully the website will remain up.

endersgame29

Post by endersgame29 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:09 pm

I THINK THERE IS HOPE!
see the post from May 27 on the Drabblecast facebook page.
this is the best podcast, and i have been patiently waiting for its return!
let me know when and where to pay....no Nigerian spam scams please!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 am

Guys, listen to the waves, you might just hear them say... "Get the milkman ready... to sail..."

Stuff's happening. Good stuff. More when appropriate.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 am

It would be so much better if this web forum software had a "thumbs up" button.

But thumbs up.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

random_string

Post by random_string » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 pm

A Drabblecast episode showed up in my podcatcher today and I got excited!
I looked it up and it's Episode 384 - The Cats of Ulthar, from December 2016. I don't know why it showed up all of a sudden.

Anyone else see this? Is is a sign of good things to come or just the RSS feed going through some death throes?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:20 am

Go to drabblecast.org!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 pm

The Episodes page lists a new short metacast from Norm.

But this does not appear in the iTunes/RSS feeds (http://www.drabblecast.org/feed/ and http://www.drabblecast.org/feed/podcast-m4a/).

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Fixed.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks!

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 am

Sweet FSM... when my iTunes account machine when 'bing... new drabblecast episode', I did a double-take. This is indeed good news. I was a $10/month donor in 2014... and am considering reactivating it.

I sincerely want this weekly audio-magazine to resurface.
ScubaMan
Toronto, ON.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 am

Oh, it’s back. Norm has quit his day job and lined up all sorts of cool stuff. Like Toronto, it’s ON.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 am

Hey all!

Thank you to everyone who gave updates by proxy, sorry for the delay in correspondance-- I realize that not everyone follows us on social media and that this might have been the only place where folks might have been keeping up.

Be sure to go to www.drabblecast.org right now and type in your email to the mailing list so we can keep everybody up to date with things as we relaunch in a big way later this summer. Also, check your feeds, we've been releasing content in a "Relaunch Prelaunch" campaign and you should have a metacast, 2 episodes of DIrector's Cut Specials and a Holiday Compilation Episode in there right now as of this posting, with more to come!

I appreciate ya'lls patience and support throughout the last couple years! It's weirdo's like you that gave me the inspiration to come back and make a big push towards a real enterprise of the DCast. You guys are family to me.

Yours in Weirdness,
Norm
"Give us all some Jelly"

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 pm

ScubaMan wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 pm
I fear silence and infrequent delivery to subscribers (DC-b sides) may cause individuals to make their own conclusions. I loathe to add grist to the rumour mill. I hope the admin release a meta cast to update what's going on.
...and they did!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 am

For those of you who aren't already aware, Drabblecast is in the process of crawling out of the murky darkness and dusting off some long-neglected tentacles.

Follow the 'cast on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Drabblecast/) Twitter (@drabblecast) and Instagram (Drabblecast) for updates, but we'll try to post new content and updates here as well.

You can also sign up for the (new) newsletter here via the site: https://www.drabblecast.org/ The first set of content is ready to go out any moment now.

If you're attending Worldcon76 in San Jose, keep an eye out for your audio strangeness wrangler at the event! As a special bonus for forum users, we'll include the (tentative) Drabblecast team schedule here exclusively. There are some Drabblecast-related goodies for those who run into us there.

Escape Pod: Live at Worldcon!
Saturday, August 18 - 10:00 AM
San Jose Convention Center - 210DH

Hugo Awards
Sunday, August 19th - 8:00 PM
San Jose Convention Center - Grand Ballroom

The World Turns Upside Down
Dealing with burn out as a creative
Monday, August 20 - 10:00 AM
San Jose Convention Center - 210C
"Give us all some Jelly"