Welcome back but...

For any and all info or discussion of podcasts and podcasting. Also community related miscellanea.
tyrelever

Welcome back but...

Post by tyrelever » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 am

I am conflicted about the return of the Drabblecast. On one hand I am very happy to hear the once great podcast is back on the rails. On the other however, I am annoyed donations were taken after the podcast was abandoned for such a long period of time without any word whatsoever.

If Norm ever gets around to reading this post I would like to say to him directly, Norm I love your work but accepting money for something you had let slide for years without communication was unprofessional at best, unethical at worst. I wish you well and I hope the DC succeeds but you have lost my trust to act ethically with my money.

I am sorry but I will not donate nor financially support The Drabblecast as I used to.

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: Welcome back but...

Post by normsherman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 am

Tyler,

Thanks for reaching out! I feel yah, and you're right, in addition to the many other ways I should have had a coherent communications plan as we sputtered for awhile there and eventually went silent, certainly this should have been more thoroughly addressed. I did reach out to many of our donors, but a combination of not keeping up and doing it consistently enough, as well as fooling myself into thinking we weren't podfading, as well as not having a well organized system of which donors were one-time, monthly, canceled or new made it a bit of a clusterf*ck.
Needless to say, I have gone through and collected everyone who continued to subscribe for awhile after our fade and have got some fun ideas (at least I think they're fun!) on how to make things right and show that we appreciated their support-- one of of which includes automatic inclusion in future premium content levels when we relaunch. :)

Norm
"Give us all some Jelly"

hnktong

Post by hnktong » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:02 pm

tyrelever, I get your points and shared some of your feelings. I kept my subscription going for a long time when things started fading, hoping for the best, and also figuring the continued donations would at least "make up" for the many months I listened before starting donations in the first place, and if I caught up on that, that I could "cover" another non-contributing listener's contribution. Eventually, yeah, I canceled the donation subscription with sadness that the 'cast appeared to be dead (and never even considering asking for a refund).

But here's the thing. I re-upped on the subscription as soon after I learned of the resurrection of Drabblecast as time and wading through the muck that is PayPal's interface allowed. Why? Because (a) as a late-middle-aged professional parent of two I know how life can become a shitstorm in no time flat, (b) Drabblecast is one of the best audio fiction podcasts there (was) is, and, perhaps most important, (c) Norm's quit his day job to try doing this full time (!!). If Norm can return to the level of quality he had pre-hiatus, I'll consider ALL of the money I've sent his way well spent. Actually, I already consider past contributions well spent. And if the new relatively small monthly subscription helps to encourage and support Norm toward that goal, so much the better. If you have trust issues, fine, but maybe throw some support Norm's way, maybe call it on a trial or probationary basis for the monthly cost of a couple of coffees, and if you wind up disappointed, you can always cut off your subscription.

So, yeah, Norm could have handled things better, but I'm inclined to cut him a shit ton of slack, not to mention at least as much respect for having the balls to try this gig full time.

Warm regards,
Hnk

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Now that the DrabbleMothership is reactivating, like some sort of audio Jerusalem artichoke, couldn't any donations that came in "after the fade was complete" just be returned?

That might alleviate residual concerns from past donors and potential new donors.
And help show that gfb there was another fade future unused donations wouldn't be going wasted.
Good faith and all that....
"What are bones?"

Benbi

Post by Benbi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:59 am

Hmm. I'm with hnk on this one. Only norm et al know who subscribed post-fade and for how long. Are we talking 10,000 people for 12 months or just a handful of us for six months? If the donations have been used to relaunch (and especially if there's some sort of compensation in terms of access to premium content...) then I'm happy to have contributed. I listened for years before donating anyway. I kept my subscription going out of hope, but did so knowing I wasn't getting anything at the time (I could've cancelled sooner, I made a choice not to). But I sympathise with anyone who feels like they paid for something they didn't get (and no longer want).

If 'making this right' detracts from getting the podcast up and running again then I'd prefer they waited. Returning donations... sounds like a nightmare to organise. But if there are lots of people that feel hard done by would it be worth making any plans to address the issue more widely known? I happened upon it on the forum. So, just an email to a few people? Or maybe direct folks to a forum thread and we can discuss there? A scary thought!

Lisa3737

Post by Lisa3737 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:44 am

I also kept my subscription active for a time after things dwindled before cancelling. I was really annoyed at the lack of communication. But! I love the Drabblecast so much, and I am happy, happy, happy Norm is returning, that I will reactivate my subscription.

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to chime in to let y'all know we're absolutely in talks with how to make things right for all those subscribers wandering in the dark. I know we've been super focused on the Relaunch Prelaunch content and our Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... ref=swue3c) but Norm has been tossing around a number of ideas to show our appreciation.

If anyone has any requests or suggestions to add into that conversation, we'd love to hear from you. We're genuinely blessed to have such a fan base, especially after such a long absence.

Anyways, just wanted to put my two cents in. I'd love to chat with y'all.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 am

I'll toss my 2c in.
I've donated roughly $3k over the life of the DC, including monthly. So I can speak to from a position of experience.

It's all about intentions. Did Norm intentionally try to take more money when not producing content? Hell no, he fully intended the break to be temporary. So, it makes sense to feel irritated that the break was longer than expected. But ultimately, it's up to you to change your payments based upon the value you are receiving. Other than that, the donations still go to funding this awesome exercise in audio weirdness. And Zimmerman says they are working on kissing and making up, so there ya go.

Oh, and, BTW, THANK YOU Norm for almost 400 episodes of FREE content you've put out.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 am

Yes, and I've donated: time, money, and a related domain (twitfic.net), but I know realize it wasn't enough:
tbaker2500 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 am
THANK YOU Norm for almost 400 episodes of FREE content you've put out.
As another good podcast says "A Buck a show, that's all we ask". Considering that I'm paying that much to other podcasts that aren't nearly as consistently good, money spent on Drabblecast has been well worth it (so far) -- even with the "hiatus" (Show us your prison tats, Norm).

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:02 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 am
I'll toss my 2c in.
I've donated roughly $3k over the life of the DC, including monthly. So I can speak to from a position of experience.
Thanks so much! Words can't really express how much that means to Norm and all of us. That money goes almost entirely to the writers and actors that contribute to the show. What little is left gets Norm off the streets for a few hours into a sound-proof box to make the magic.

So believe me, it's not in vain. You've not only helped us but a whole community or artists.

ZimmermansWay

Post by ZimmermansWay » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 am
Yes, and I've donated: time, money, and a related domain (twitfic.net), but I know realize it wasn't enough:
Every little bit counts. The community is growing, we've already reached our kickstarter goal so the show us UP and SLITHERING. Feel free to check it out, Norm is doing some live chats too. You don't have to donate, but even just sharing w/ someone goes a long way: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... ref=swue3c