Drabblecast 407 – The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs of North Park After the Change

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
mightytwix
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 407 – The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs of North Park After the Change

Post by mightytwix » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:07 am

by Kij Johnson.
North Park is a backwater tucked into a loop of the Kaw River: pale dirt and baked grass, aging playground equipment, silver-leafed cottonwoods, underbrush, mosquitoes and gnats that blacken the air at dusk. To the south is a busy street. Engine noise and the hissing of tires on pavement mean the park is no retreat. By late afternoon the air smells of hot tar and summertime river bottoms. There are two entrances to North Park: the formal one, of silvered railroad ties framing an arch of sorts, and an accidental little gap in the fence back where Second Street dead-ends into the park’s west side, just by the river.
Episode art by Joe Botsch
Read by Norm
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Re: Drabblecast 407 – The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs of North Park After the Change

Post by mightytwix » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:10 am

I gotta say this is some great cover art!
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

random_string

Re: Drabblecast 407 – The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs of North Park After the Change

Post by random_string » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:03 pm

I love that Pixies "Where is My Mind" piano cover at the start of the story, about 2:48 into the episode.

Anyone know where I can find that version for download or purchase?

D00MSDAY

Post by D00MSDAY » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 am

Everything--from the main story to the music to the art, to the twitfic...Hit me just right. This is why I listen faithfully every week. Currently reloading this so I can hear it again in the car tomorrow. Thanks a million.

Lisa3737

Post by Lisa3737 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:55 pm

I really enjoyed this story!

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 am

I was kinda hoping the cats would stick around after earning their voice. My icon shows 1 of 3 black house panthers who tolerate cat-dad and cat-mom. He'd be out the door (as he started out life as a stray). The other 2 are little lemons (bad hips; a touch of brain damage). :(

D00MSDAY

Post by D00MSDAY » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:59 pm

ScubaMan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 am
I was kinda hoping the cats would stick around after earning their voice. My icon shows 1 of 3 black house panthers who tolerate cat-dad and cat-mom. He'd be out the door (as he started out life as a stray). The other 2 are little lemons (bad hips; a touch of brain damage). :(
I do love our little feline family members, too. Our oldest, Misery, has been doing a weird little scream every so often. She didn't seem to be in any pain, so I thought maybe she was going senile. Had a bunch of tests done and all came back normal, so the vet thinks maybe arthritis. Starting a pain med for her, we'll see if the screaming continues. Love this little muffin.

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:01 pm

D00MSDAY wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:59 pm
ScubaMan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 am
I do love our little feline family members, too. Our oldest, Misery, has been doing a weird little scream every so often. She didn't seem to be in any pain, so I thought maybe she was going senile. Had a bunch of tests done and all came back normal, so the vet thinks maybe arthritis. Starting a pain med for her, we'll see if the screaming continues. Love this little muffin.
Indeed, they’re our little heart-breaks. Give them a good scritch and a soft pillow. Worship our little screwballs, eh.