Drabbleclassics 31 – Boojum

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
mightytwix
Forums Czar

Post by mightytwix » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 pm

The ship had no name of her own, so her human crew called her the Lavinia Whateley. As far as anyone could tell, she didn’t mind. At least, her long grasping vanes curled—affectionately? — when the chief engineers patted her bulkheads and called her “Vinnie,” and she ceremoniously tracked the footsteps of each crew member with her internal bioluminescence, giving them light to walk and work and live by…

Episode art by Caroline Parkinson
Read by Naomi Mercer, Graeme Dunlop, Delianne Forget

Hosted by Abbie Hilton
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

mightytwix
Forums Czar

Re: Drabbleclassics 31 – Boojum

Post by mightytwix » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Original Forum Discussion:
Drabblecast 202/203 - Boojum
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

crystalbrier

Post by crystalbrier » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:47 am

I was so excited to see this pop up on the Drabblecast list, having loved Mongoose. Now my husband and I have dug back into the archives and are listening to the Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward. He has yet to experience Mongoose yet, but I'll be more than happy to partake of it for my 3rd time to share it with him.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:49 pm

I'm as much a fan of this universe as the rest of you. DC will always welcome future opportunities to bring this world to y'all in audio. FWIW, I don't think think the three stories we've done from Bear/Monette's collaboration will be the last.

In terms of the commentary, I thought Abbie's outro was great. There's a lot of immediate dismissal and hate of Lovecraft currently in the landscape of the the writing community, due to his unquestionable bigotry. Many will ignore our episodes this month altogether and some wish to delete his name and work from history. Part of why we do HPL month is to talk about these things, rather than act like these perceptions don't or never existed. Abbie does a great job of speaking on this.
Plus, just gotta love having a certified nurse anesthetist speak on the Migo and Locked In syndrome.
"Give us all some Jelly"