Drabblecast 141 - On the Destruction of Copenhagen

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 141 - On the Destruction of Copenhagen

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:46 am

Drabble- The Tower
by Bryan J. Jacop

On the Destruction of Copenhagen by the War Machines of the Merfolk
by Peter M. Ball

We see it happen: the great machines of the merfolk coming up over the shore, rampaging through the city with devastating effect. We watch a robotic mermaid hammer her fist into an apartment block, the dust cloud from the explosion engulfing the nearby camera. It's quick, sudden, a surprise that's ruined by the later repetition of the footage...

Music by Chopin, Bartok and Schoenberg
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

dreamrock

Re: Drabblecast 141- On the Destruction of Copenhagen

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:06 am

The first two minutes of the podcast are fine, but then it cuts out and goes to about twenty five minutes of silence. D:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:29 am

dreamrock wrote:The first two minutes of the podcast are fine, but then it cuts out and goes to about twenty five minutes of silence. D:
Hmmm. I had no trouble with it, and it seems to stream OK from the website. Maybe just delete and re-download?
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 am

alhilton wrote:
dreamrock wrote:The first two minutes of the podcast are fine, but then it cuts out and goes to about twenty five minutes of silence. D:
Hmmm. I had no trouble with it, and it seems to stream OK from the website. Maybe just delete and re-download?
I'll try again. Hope it's fixed. I've tried three times. :cry:

EDIT: It looks like the issue is the mp3 in the feed. I'm converting the m4a from the site to mp3 at the moment. Hopefully that'll work.

RE-EDIT: Yep, the m4a from the site works when converted to mp3.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:08 am

I like the timing of this story. I always feel a bit 'meh' this time of year. Holiday pressure, the cold and pre-solstice darkness.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:19 am

dreamrock wrote:
alhilton wrote:
I'll try again. Hope it's fixed. I've tried three times. :cry:

EDIT: It looks like the issue is the mp3 in the feed. I'm converting the m4a from the site to mp3 at the moment. Hopefully that'll work.

RE-EDIT: Yep, the m4a from the site works when converted to mp3.
Ooo thanks for lettin me know bout the MP3 file. Will fix when I get home. Bizarre
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

normsherman wrote:Ooo thanks for lettin me know bout the MP3 file. Will fix when I get home. Bizarre
No worries. I'm just glad to have it figured out in time for this week's Christmas. By which I mean: the work hour in which I listen to Drabblecast. :lol: There isn't an appointed hour, but it's pretty awesome.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 pm

I was wondering if there was supposed to be some connection between the girls Mermaid tattoo and the Mermen. Were they attacking because the hero was going out with one of their own? Or was the attack just another metaphor for one of their trysts. "She was the lovely robot mermaid army. I was the horny city of Copenhagen..."

In any event, the story left me feeling like I hadn't been bludgeoned over the head by a story that was trying to make a point, which is nice, though I think there were some ideas there that percolate and are good food for thought, in this modern age of social networking and digital booty-calling.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:11 am

I had just listened to several of Erik Satie's works on Last.fm and had even read the Wikipedia article about him before listening to On the Destruction of Copenhagen. While I don't specifically recognize the piano piece that is playing in the background for at least the first seven minutes it sounds very Satie like. Could it be a coincidence? Unlikely - could it be that the internet has been watching me and is trying to send a coded message?

Now I have to start at the beginning and listen to the podcast again, but this time to the words....
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:07 am

Chopin starts er off, nice n structured. Bartok and Schoenberg take over eventually to parallel the "wandering" feel of both the MC through his life and his sister's seemingly arbitrary travels.
If you wanna read into it, that is. hehe
"Give us all some Jelly"

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:18 am

So I guess this means the Internet isn't sending me secret messages?

Now I have to listen to it yet again, this time to the music... again...
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:09 am

I gotta say, no podcast ever got a nicer launch speech than the one Norm gave Cowry Catchers here! That is my podcast, oh message boards. I'm guessing Norm has more lines than any other character. If not, he's a very close second to the protagonist. He's pretty unembarrassable, although I think I might have made him blush once. ;)

Norm, you are so much fun to work with, and you do such excellent work! I hope you continue to enjoy it, because that character doesn't shut up.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:21 am

normsherman wrote:Chopin starts er off, nice n structured. Bartok and Schoenberg take over eventually to parallel the "wandering" feel of both the MC through his life and his sister's seemingly arbitrary travels.
If you wanna read into it, that is. hehe
Funny! I always associate Bartok with bad things. Probably because usually his compositions sound like cats fighting to me. I'll have to go back and listen now, I didn't pick the track out right away and I want to try to recall what I was thinking when I listened to the story. Did I have subliminal Bela induced anger?
Then I'll put on something like, um Parliament Funkadelic to wash my ears out. :mrgreen:
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:18 pm

moonowl wrote:I like the timing of this story. I always feel a bit 'meh' this time of year. Holiday pressure, the cold and pre-solstice darkness.

Personally, I'm dreaming of a white-hot Christmas.

//Will be in Sydney, it will be 45 deg. C, and the surrounding 1000ha may or may not explode for our lunchtime enjoyment.

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

alhilton wrote:I He's pretty unembarrassable, although I think I might have made him blush once. ;)
Psssst - whatever you do, don't mention the story. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!

Heh, I loved this story. It used to be me, well OK me and the protagonist kind of diverged at the point where almost but not quite got his end off with a girl whose name he probably didn't know, but yeah up to that point he was me.

Oh, also Copenhagen was never destroyed by giant implausible robot mer-folk in my life, to the best of my knowledge. Can anyone from Copenhagen confirm?

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 pm

I was sad to hear about the destruction of Copenhagen, it was a such charming place (no litter).

I really liked the vibe on this story. The main character's ennui was really the main attraction - I suspect that monster attacks are too large to be anything other than a background events. Here, I think that the narrator was actually perfectly satisfied in his dissatisfaction; he did appear to envy his sister's lifestyle, or to particularly regret his abbreviated relationship with Hannah (?).

I also loved the drabble.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:12 pm

BTW Abbie, I fixed Portland for you...

http://drabblecast.freeforums.org/destr ... t1017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Phenopath's Story Archive

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 am

Phenopath wrote:BTW Abbie, I fixed Portland for you...

http://drabblecast.freeforums.org/destr ... t1017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
I noticed! In fact, your drabble bears a resemblance to this story. Really, what town would not be improved by the presence of giant, malevolent robots?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:40 am

alhilton wrote:I gotta say, no podcast ever got a nicer launch speech than the one Norm gave Cowry Catchers here! That is my podcast, oh message boards. I'm guessing Norm has more lines than any other character. If not, he's a very close second to the protagonist. He's pretty unembarrassable, although I think I might have made him blush once. ;)

Norm, you are so much fun to work with, and you do such excellent work! I hope you continue to enjoy it, because that character doesn't shut up.
A. Good working hooking Norm into this. He's a sucker for a pretty face. (Especially when that face is doing taxidermy of roadkill.)
B. I love how you cast him. Brilliant!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:42 am

I have to admit I haven't listened to the whole story yet. I've been horribly sick, and malaise does not seem like my biggest problem. I don't yet have the energy to be apathetic. I'll get to it when I'm bored of being well. :-)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...