Page 1 of 2

Drabblecast 159 - Intelligent Design

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 pm
by Kevin Anderson
Intelligent Design
by Ellen Klages

God cocked his thumb and aimed his index finger at the firmament.
Ka-pow! Pow! Pow! A line of three perfect glowing pinpoints of light appeared in the black void...


Art by Brent Holmes
Music by Jason Rubero and Heitor Pereira

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 pm
by batknighter
I found this story to charming in it's innocence. Although many don't believe in God, this story makes it more personal to the reader, because many people have children and can relate to a child's curiosity. I thought the author did a great job in personifying God and how we are all his playthings.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 am
by ROU Killing Time
Cute, but light. I think the God as precocious kid thing has been done before, i.e. The Squire of Gothos and such.

So, good episode, all in all. Not my favorite, but that's mainly because of the recent high-water marks that keep getting set.

What would Knight-Rider do?

I want a bumper sticker of that.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 am
by swamp
What would Knight Rider do?
Turbo jump, of course.

I liked the story, it was simple and enjoyable.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 am
by Raptor Redux
That was fun. Makes me think of Gary Larson, who did many fine God cartoons.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:40 am
by Goldenrat
I cringed a bit when I saw the title, but I thought the story was a funny light-hearted romp. Reminded me of the stories I heard in catholic school.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:57 am
by moonowl
See, even the "But Noooorrrmmm! I don't believe in gooooood!" people like it. NightRider is Bad Ass!

I don't however like part of the intro. Complex relationships between creatures in no way points to an 'intelligent designer'. It's a common misconception that evolution is simply an act of luck and randomization. It's not!

While random mutation is part of evolution, a bigger part is natural selection. 'Selection' is really the polar opposite of 'random'. It's not hard for me to imagine a chain of symbiotic or parasitic relationships developing over long periods of time based only on the survival advantages it brings to an organism.

Crazy complex? Wondrous? Hells ya! Life gives me goosebumps, I tell you. It's simply, well, I guess you can say magical to me. Much more then the idea of a goddess grandma waving some powder around and just going 'woomph, there it is'.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:53 am
by themorg
Sometimes the details of a story tell more about the character and the mention of god's grandma wearing sensible shoes made the episode for me. This means that while god is doing crazy things it was based on sensible utilitarian concepts that ring true for my view cosmos.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:06 am
by strawman
Nana Deus thinks you're cute. Have a cookie.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:42 pm
by ROU Killing Time
strawman wrote:Nana Deus thinks you're cute. Have a cookie.
But where did Nana Deus come from? Yes, I know, it's turtles all the way down.

What concerns me is whatever happened to the universes God's forebears created...

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:59 pm
by dreamrock
ROU Killing Time wrote:
strawman wrote:Nana Deus thinks you're cute. Have a cookie.
But where did Nana Deus come from? Yes, I know, it's turtles all the way down.

What concerns me is whatever happened to the universes God's forebears created...
Pft, we know all about that. Cthulhu's great great grandfather/motherthings made those. The nice thing about being the ripe old age they are is that having a nap that is countless eons long doesn't seem to be quite long enough.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:23 am
by bolddeceiver
Ehh, besides the god-as-child thing being so done, if we're going with the Genesis cosmogeny (which all the "it was good" lines would imply), wasn't the naming Adam's job?

Also, a hearty "second!" to moonowl's point.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:27 am
by ROU Killing Time
bolddeceiver wrote: Also, a hearty "second!" to moonowl's point.
You are quite correct. Knight-Rider is Bad-Ass.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:34 am
by normsherman
moonowl wrote: I don't however like part of the intro. Complex relationships between creatures in no way points to an 'intelligent designer'. It's a common misconception that evolution is simply an act of luck and randomization. It's not!
Hehe I knew I didn't have a shot in hell doing an intro about God/Intelligent Design without ruffling feathers on one side or the other. :P

I was hoping to stay away from asserting "TRUTH" in any regard, skirting a particular "position" by observing that the awesomely bad-ass complexities that exist are often what fuel arguments for intelligent design, which, of course, was the name and subject of the story. The teleological argument goes back all the way from Socrates to the Drabblecast forums and has its own chapter in every intro to Philosophy book out there. I'm too much of a dunce to prove or disprove it, but I'm ok with acknowledging the perspective exists.
moonowl wrote: While random mutation is part of evolution, a bigger part is natural selection. 'Selection' is really the polar opposite of 'random'. It's not hard for me to imagine a chain of symbiotic or parasitic relationships developing over long periods of time based only on the survival advantages it brings to an organism.
Indeed. I think people who argue for design (unless they take the Bible literally) don't necessarily dispute the process of natural selection and evolution, but see these as elaborate mechanisms that reflect beginning with end in mind.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 am
by ROU Killing Time
normsherman wrote: Hehe I knew I didn't have a shot in hell doing an intro about God/Intelligent Design without ruffling feathers on one side or the other. :P
No chance at all, you'd have more luck (but not by much) by having an intro on the relative merits of PAINGUIN vs Hellcat.

To me, it's all really a semantic debate. It's a subject I love discussing, but loathe arguing over.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:52 am
by strawman
Faith really doesn't depend on belief in things which contradict reason. It would voilate logic to believe that a loving God would give creatures reason, change all the signposts, then require that we find Him. That might just as well constitute Hell.

Atheists also seem to have their fair share of fundamentalists, and I usually try to avoid discussions with fundamentalists of either type. Their main objective usually seems to be to wrestle people into submission rather than thinking.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:17 am
by themorg
normsherman wrote: Hehe I knew I didn't have a shot in hell doing an intro about God/Intelligent Design without ruffling feathers on one side or the other. :P
My scales and fur was not ruffled but i am amazed that my feathers were. My feathers are more sensitive than anything else and perhaps that is why my four fathers took them out of my original gene pool. i have no idea why they did not graft tentacles anywhere.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:42 am
by ROU Killing Time
themorg wrote:
normsherman wrote: Hehe I knew I didn't have a shot in hell doing an intro about God/Intelligent Design without ruffling feathers on one side or the other. :P
My scales and fur was not ruffled but i am amazed that my feathers were. My feathers are more sensitive than anything else and perhaps that is why my four fathers took them out of my original gene pool. i have no idea why they did not graft tentacles anywhere.
You had four fathers? No wonder you are so strange and fit in so well here.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:54 am
by Scattercat
Enjoyed this one the first time I heard it on Podcastle. I think I like this reading a little better; it captured the lightheartedness more cleanly.

Re: Drabblecast 159- Intelligent Design by Ellen Klages

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:58 pm
by Fiddler59
Yes! PodCastle! THAT's where I heard this before!

But I have to say Norm's rendition and production values add tons of enjoyment factor to the tale. In fact, I'm hip-deep in enjoyment factor. Where the heck am I going to put it all? Anyone got a shovel?