Drabblecast 174 - The Fantasy Jumper

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Talia

Re: Drabblecast 174- The Fantasy Jumper by Will McIntosh

Post by Talia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:23 pm

It was a commentary on society, rather than particularly on any given individual. At least that's how I read it.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I was looking up the name of a story I heard over on Escape Pod that had an extremely similar "nice guy who aims low out of poor self-esteem and/or necessity." Turns out it was Bridesicle - written by Will McIntosh. Can someone go find Will, give him a hug and tell him that we like him just the way he is?
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Oh, Bridesicle is a fantastic story. I don't think I've heard the Escape Pod version, but I was stoked beyond belief when Starship Sofa picked that one up. Or maybe it was Dunesteef? Though I think they're the ones that did the one where a wage slave manages to hire onto a mission to Mars through good luck and trickery, so maybe not?

Anyway, both of those stories kick ass. Go ye therefore and listen, etc.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 pm

I think they rebroadcasted the Starship Sofa recording. Or repodcasted, I suppose. Creative Commons-ed it? Is there a verb for that yet?

Anyway, I too loved Bridesicle.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 am

As it so happens, I pimped both of the stories I was talking about in the same edition of Tactical Highlighter. Woot for convenientish links: Bridesicle (Starship Sofa, by Will McIntosh) and Willpower (Dunesteef, by Jason Stoddard).
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Dairmid

Post by Dairmid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:51 pm

I liked this story for its surreal quality. The park's various attractions were clever, but the idea of a fantasy jumper as amusement was just too weird. Very enjoyable.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:51 am

Suitably chilling story. Loved the Wagnerian mood music behind the wistful longings of the jumper as she tried to hurry the lonely boy Abbott along, so she could fulfill her single-purpose existence. Very 'Tristan and Isolde'.

Oh, and: sex kiosks for everyone! (Even though they 'only' wanna have sex).

BTW, if such a thing as a 'sex kiosk' ever came about, my money would be on the bet that more of the earth would end up converted into sex kiosks than is currently converted into automobiles, cell phones, personal computers and beef combined. Bank on it. Then the earth's population would drop off precipitously. (Hell, all it took was hentai to decimate Japanese reproduction...)
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

flyawaybefree

Post by flyawaybefree » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:27 am

I had to listen to this one twice to really get what it was about, partly because the first time around I was trying to wash my extremely displeased cat. Once I got into the story, it really drew me in to the fantasy jumper's predicament, as well as a future world that made gory pseudo-violence a fair attraction. All in all, a great story that made me want to delve deeper and deeper.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

softypapa

Post by softypapa » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:18 am

One of the things I like best about the Drabblecast is the opportunity to enjoy quality writing by authors who are willing to trust their initial inspiration. The Fantasy Jumper felt like a story written soon after the muse had spoken, while the author's creative delight was still fresh. Others have mentioned that the story seemed to lack a point, which I agree may be the case. Though the theme was striking enough to perhaps not require any point, as most listeners were likely kept busy enough attending to a rapid tide of thoughts, emotions and gut reactions. Hearing this story was something akin to coming across a provocative, yet splendidly rendered item of art. A piece which requires no explanation yet which begs the viewer to stare.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am

softypapa wrote:One of the things I like best about the Drabblecast is the opportunity to enjoy quality writing by authors who are willing to trust their initial inspiration. The Fantasy Jumper felt like a story written soon after the muse had spoken, while the author's creative delight was still fresh. Others have mentioned that the story seemed to lack a point, which I agree may be the case. Though the theme was striking enough to perhaps not require any point, as most listeners were likely kept busy enough attending to a rapid tide of thoughts, emotions and gut reactions. Hearing this story was something akin to coming across a provocative, yet splendidly rendered item of art. A piece which requires no explanation yet which begs the viewer to stare.
Nicely put.
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Etaan wrote:I was looking up the name of a story I heard over on Escape Pod that had an extremely similar "nice guy who aims low out of poor self-esteem and/or necessity." Turns out it was Bridesicle - written by Will McIntosh. Can someone go find Will, give him a hug and tell him that we like him just the way he is?
Yes! I thought the character seemed familiar, and that was EXACTLY why. Maybe it's the same character, same world, and he hasn't quite gone to bridesicles yet.

The idea of the fantasy jumper itself was really cool, but I could've done without all the constant POV changing throughout. It's this sort of story that really makes me think that inflicting intelligence on a machine can be considered cruel--in this case to give the jumper an ambition that they can't resist and can't fulfill.It's staying on my keepers list partly because the idea is so neat, and also because I really liked the resolution. The jumper finally gets satisfaction from a software glitch and unexpected use case--because the developers didn't expect that someone would pump out jumpers faster than they could be discorporated. The image of the lone partially injured jumper climbing off the ridiculously high mound of identical corpses was a powerful one.

I wonder if this was partially meant as a metaphor for the public's increasing desensitization to death by media saturation. Right now we'd still be pretty shocked if we saw the fantasy jumper in person, but for these people it has become utterly mundane, just another nickel entertainment.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Listened to this one a while ago and completely forgot to comment about it.

I really, truly love any story where there's some impossible task to undertake, but somebody keep trying anyway. The fantasy jumper herself doesn't even exactly accomplish what she sets out to do; she doesn't jump to the fountain, but does eventually get there. You can argue that it wasn't in her programming to give up, (that it's not like she was a determined individual) but I don't think that takes anything away from the story. Personal victories are sometimes more satisfying when some much loftier goal proves unachievable, but the victor comes damn close.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

j-m

Post by j-m » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Wow, where to start?

This was a great story. I loved the way the music worked with the story, especially during the climactic scene where Violet hurls dozens of clones over the edge of the building. I have listened to this one twice and found it just as good the second time.