Drabblecast 177 - Floaters

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Drabblecast 177 - Floaters

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Drabble- Research Project 12B by Richard Cassidy
Wednesday, August 25, 2010

That's when I saw it. A thing -- no, not even a thing, just an impression of a thing; a momentary imperfection in that seamless blue -- that teased at the edge of my vision. My eye flicked toward it, but it either whipped away faster than the eye could follow or it hadn't really been there to begin with...

Ganymede
David D. Levine
Sacred Drabblecast Chalice of Glory
Pendragon Variety Podcast
Megabeast Trading Cards!

Art by Skeet Scienski
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 177- Floaters by David D. Levine

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I want me some megabeast trading cards and several Megabeast 2011 calendars for Christmas gifting. Bo, please get to work on this as soon as you recover from Atlanta, as time is short. (Please make sure to include the megabeasts' birthdays).

David Levine may be my favorite DC author. His story concepts are so original and fresh. The casting of Floaters in Lovecraft month is Levinesque, transforming the common and ordinary into mysterious Otherness. The choice of Floaters apparently won out over the alternative candidate, Tinnitus. A well constructed story.

And Skeet's artwork was surely inspired by the story.

Norm, you're just evoking the best of everyone.

Spoiler:

Talia

Post by Talia » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:37 am

Oh man that cover art has got me shying away from the screen. Nicely done! :p

Story was deliciously creepy. I enjoyed the (what I felt to be) vindictive snarkyness of the floaters just before he destroyed them (or their vessel anyway). I think the concept of having things living inside oneself (aside, of course, from pregnancy) is one of the singular most terrifying horror concepts, because I mean, ew. Particularly something sentient. Double ew. Not to mention the eyes being one of people's most vulnerable spots, so much so that protecting our eyes is instinctive when a potential hazard threatens. So there you have the double horror of being 1) intruded upon and 2) one of your most vulnerable areas being utterly defenseless. ACK.

You don't hear a lot of stories about things... living in people's eyes, which is probably the only reason it makes me think of this story, which is otherwise radically different:

http://podcastle.org/2010/06/09/podcast ... f-the-eye/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But if you like stories about eye-inhabiting things it might be interesting.. :p

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:41 am

What really hit home with this story to me was I have these floaters, but I've had them from a really young age so never really notice them. I do now. Thanks a lot for that.

An interesting, fresh concept delivered well, with the usual DC values. Loved the Behind Blue Eyes music before hand, nice subtle intro.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

flyawaybefree

Post by flyawaybefree » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:19 am

I agree with Mikes, I've also had these floaters, and now I am slightly, no more than slightly, afraid of them.
Behind Blue Eyes was a great choice for music! It took me a little while to realize what was playing, but then I spent the rest of the podcast thinking about how awesome and fitting that is!
About the story, I loved the originality of it, and the simple themes of being tortured within your own eyes in such a way that no one will ever believe you, and you are destined to descend into utter madness and ignominy by becoming a modern Oedipus-type character... Very well-done.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

eggyolk

Post by eggyolk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 pm

Way to crawl right into my head and mess with me! I am in danger of retinal detachment, I have had two "black blossoms" as I call them, and I always wondered if they were looking back at me. This was some high octane stuff. I really enjoyed it.

High points for the reading as usual!
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:38 am

That was an unequivocally awesome episode.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 am

Mikes wrote: An interesting, fresh concept delivered well, with the usual DC values. Loved the Behind Blue Eyes music before hand, nice subtle intro.
Also the "I can tell that we are gonna be friends" by the White Stripes playing during the Arizona immigration laws bit cracked me up. And you caught "These Eyes" by the Guess Who in the outro right? It's pretty awesome actually, if you listen to the lyrics of that song after Norm says goodbye, how freakily Lovecraftian and fitting they are to the story.

Loved this story. And Holy frikkin Eye-In-the-Sky-with-a-Magnifying-Glass did those floaters have a creepy voice! I was listening with my nice headphones (as I always am sure to do with Drabblecast) and nearly fell out of my seat. Like a multitude of alien demons. Spot on!

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:17 am

I remember the first time I noticed my floaters, how you could never see them directly because they seemed to move with your eyeball. They freaked me out until I figure out it was just harmless crap riding on your eye. Good story, loved the floaters smart-assed remark at the end about the paintings. They probably didn't believe he would go through with the final acts, and I didn't either. Too bad the floaters couldn't help him out in some way instead of just being inquisitive and horney.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

yam655

Post by yam655 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

I normally see my floaters. I've seen them since I was a kid. I can see my floaters as I type this.

More interestingly, the floaters are always strands of darkness. When I look up in a clear blue sky, in addition to the strands of darkness, I see distortions of light -- points which seem distinctly brighter than the sky around them. They seem to swim and dance in currents. I remember looking up at the sky and seeing these as a kid and thinking, "Those don't exist" and turning away. I still don't know what those things are called. They're not floaters, though, as you can follow them with your eyes.

I always feel embarrassed when I go to get my eyes checked and I can't read a letter or number because floaters are in the way. I mean, most folks don't see them. Should I just tell the eye doctor, "Give me a minute, there are floaters in the way." It just seems like a crazy thing to say.

- Steven

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Verily did I giggle maniacally at the Drabble, and the comment that we may be ants to burn for some "higher" Force was both sweet and fitting - quite like life, really. The main story was sinister, but with much food for thought; anyone trying to do anything laughably referred to as "creative" has his own demons to struggle with (see, for example the Prinzhorn Collection of art by mentally disturbed patients from an asylum in Heidelberg, Germany. One thinks of Beethoven struggling with his deafness, or Schubert gradually driven mad by syphilis - the protagonists decision to put out his own eyes did not surprise me in the least; as I said, quite like life, really. Van Goch, as a visual artist, cutting off his ear - now that´s wierd...

respectfully,

The Polecat

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:22 pm

Great concept. I was creeped out when the floaters first spoke, although I misheard them as encouraging the protagonist to remove his eyes.

"Do it! Do it!"

My only criticism is that in the second half of the story the floaters became somewhat loquacious.
Phenopath's Story Archive

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I feel like little Mrs Negative recently.

I love the concept of using the floaters. A worrisome but usually harmless condition being creepy critters. Because it's so common no one will believe you. Great idea! The trouble is for me early on the story became a slow long march to the inevitable ending.

This was a case where the story needed a twist. Or the concept would have made the world's most awesome drabble. Being so certain of the outcome made me feel 'just do it already!' all through most of the tale. The killer is, I hadn't even seen the cover art yet.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:42 am

I had seen the cover art, and I spent the whole episode hoping he wouldn't do it, for it's awfully disgusting. Second only in my horrors to having somebody drill out my eyeballs.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:58 am

moonowl wrote: This was a case where the story needed a twist. Or the concept would have made the world's most awesome drabble. Being so certain of the outcome made me feel 'just do it already!' all through most of the tale. The killer is, I hadn't even seen the cover art yet.
I feel that way about The Pit and the Pendulum. Ya just wanna go "ew" from the first sentence, and hope you'll be spared. Only with a pencil.

Spoiler:

Una arborensis

Post by Una arborensis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 am

I find this tale enthralling not only as someone with a visual disability, but also because it calls into question of what is the schizophrenic truth to reality and would we recognize it when we see it (no pun intended).

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:48 am

Welcome to the forums, yam655. :D

Floaters are kind of weird. I've had them off and on for as long as I can remember, and didn't think much of them. I've known other people who were severely freaked out by them and made me feel a trifle weird for not thinking much about them.

I like stories where different interpretations readily available but the consequences for the interpretations weren't strong enough to make the drama work. If Morgan was insane, the consequence to everyone else is slight. If Morgan was sane, the consequence to everyone else was almost equally slight. Unless your floaters can talk to mine and give you blackmail material. Dun dun DUUUUN.

Having creatures in your eyes watch you constantly is creepy, but so is ubiquitous camera surveillance and we've all gotten used to that.

I liked the story. I just feel like I could have liked it lots and lots more.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:59 am

dreamrock wrote:Welcome to the forums, yam655. :D
If Morgan was insane, the consequence to everyone else is slight. If Morgan was sane, the consequence to everyone else was almost equally slight.
At 24:50 the woman says Mason rather than Morgan. Honestly i was wondering if i had posted something strange when i was drunk again.

I really enjoyed the idea of someone telling a story where you are seeing things and they are going to (as dreamrock would say) "Dun dun DUUUUN." In real life i have a floater in my right eye that was taken care of... or was until it came back months later. It lead me to be unable to use a gun at work (Security work not just cause) because i could no longer qualify at the range because it would mess with my dominate eye in quick situations. I got it removed it again and it has returned again but this time really small so i have not bother with it again. Basically the story felt little close to home; especially the doctors visit. I am now so scared of it that i can not sleep with my eyes closed. thanks David D. Levine.

I really got a kick out of taking a style of story telling (lovecraft) and re telling them with current authors. It really explores these ideas we have of a specific fiction (or author) and comes at it from a different angle. A C.S. Lewis story would be really fun to hear done by Tim Pratt or Hemmingway done by Garith Upshaw.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 am

I listened to this story poolside under a clear blue sky. As story unfolded and I watched my floaters I gripped the chair tightly, being glad that the story was being delivered aurally and not in writing. Can you imagine if they misinterpreted it as a threat, and preemptively attacked my brain to cause full body paralysis, to keep me from killing them? I think the worst part would be lying there poolside paralyzed knowing that I'd never be able to communicate a warning to my friends and family. Gulp.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 am

The concept behind this one is fantastic. Something that hurts you is nowhere near as scary as something that ultimately makes you think that you need to hurt yourself. Great use of something generally seen as innocuous.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.