Drabblecast 179 - The Red Bride

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Re: Drabblecast 179- The Red Bride by Samantha Henderson

Post by strawman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:57 pm

I had the same problem, so I PM'd Norm, who refered me to http://www.strangehorizons.com/2010/201 ... de-f.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was able to read as I listened, which solved the prob.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

SeldonCrisis

Post by SeldonCrisis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:38 am

Thanks Strawman. I loved this story so much that, even knowing how much he hates audiofiction, I made my husband listen to it (I'm hoping that with time he'll learn to train his ear and his brain to follow along with the storytelling). And this story is right up his alley, too. But alas, he hated it. He couldn't understand the narrator's voice at times, his mind would wander off at other times, and he's just damn stubborn about some things. Maybe if I send this to him in the written form he'll enjoy it more!

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:09 am

I really really really loved this one. I loved the fairytale style narrative and the world building, the gradual well-paced way that the story revealed the horrific ending through alien analogies. Henderson's stories have always been a treat on Drabblecast.
Also, I have to say that I think this is the best non-Norm story reading in the history of the Drabblecast. Perfectly creepy in a creepy grandmother kind of way. Bravo to Delianne Forget!
And I didn't have a problem with the music or hearing the narrator. I recommend listening to the Drabblecast with nice headphones if you have them, it's like watching a movie on blu ray, high def flat screen and surround sound instead of just a little old tube TV.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Maybe I'll need to give this one a second listen? I get that there were supposed to be parallels between the slave's story and the revolution going down, but the connections felt far too vague. I liked the tone, but this one doesn't really give a reader enough clues to latch on to other than that persistent sense of dread.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm surprised about all the positive feedback. This may have been my least favorite Drabblecast to date. I found it dull and anti-climactic.

I think I may also be biased against the narrative style. I *hate* when a story addresses the reader as if they were a character in the tale. I am not, despite some rumors, a small child. I do not live in a world inhabited by domesticated plant monsters. I'm able to suspend disbelief with the best of them, but come on.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

yvern

Post by yvern » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:19 am

I found that, like the child, I could only really follow along if I was still and paid close attention. On second listening, I did so, and in the end was fairly entranced. I wanted to know what happens next!

caliscott

Post by caliscott » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:03 pm

I also loved this one. I haapend to be riding my bike at 5 am - it was dark and it added to the situational enjoyment. What I loved was the use of metaphor. The confounding of the identity of the red bride as a person, at first perhaps human, then as a heroic figure, then as blood lust. Wow. And the way she used language. It reminds me of hearing native speakers tell folk tales, with out the idioms, you have to arrive at meanings via stepwise approximations until it becomes clear. I mean, I wonder what the chinese word for "cyclopean vista" is.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:21 pm

I had trouble getting into this one. Partially the narrative style, as Etaan said, it's addressed to a child in a world I'm unfamiliar with, which isn't all that relatable to me. Also, the narrator-character kept telling me that what she was telling me was not exactly true, and each time she did so my interest dropped a little bit more.

The reader was really great for this story though, and I listened longer than I otherwise would have because of her. She added a sinister air to the voice that I'm not sure would have come through in the text.

I had thought she was saying "twinkling" not "twigling". I'm going to pretend she said "twinkling" because I like it better--it gave me the impression that she was not only speaking to a child, but that it was a child unlikely to survive to the narrator's age--just a flash in a pan, or a twinkling of a star. As opposed to a twigling, which will presumably grow into a branchling which grows little twiglings of its own.