Drabblecast 193 - Scales

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Richmazzer

Re: Drabblecast 193 - Scales

Post by Richmazzer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Loved this story. Saw the end coming the second the 'game' was introduced but I guess that's just the fairytale way.
The reading was top notch and the snake man's voice effect was really cool. And yah, I think episode art should be a category in this year's people's choice awards. and i think this episode art should win.

Paranatural

Post by Paranatural » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 am

I enjoyed the story. Now to commence with the nitpicking, since I'm from Southern Louisiana, and this was set in a swamp...

Ok, the most grating thing was the pronunciation of the word 'cypress'. It's like 'sigh-press'. Before this aired it never occurred to me it could be pronounced any other way. One other thing was at first the narrator said 'crayfish'. This grates on my nerves like nothing else. Damned northerners. Then, the second time, it was 'Crawfish', which is proper and good. I was almost at peace, until, at the end, Norm comes out with 'crayfish' again. Damn you, Norm, Damn you.

Now, those nitpicks aside (I had others but I'm already being tiresome I am sure), I liked the story. I'm no fan of horror, but this one ended well. There needs to be more swampland stories. Too bad I kinda suck at writing.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:02 am

Howdy Paranatural. Welcome to the forums!

Being from Indiana, I'd like to point out that it's not pronounced "crawfish", it's pronounced "crawdad".
:-)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:08 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Howdy Paranatural. Welcome to the forums!

Being from Indiana, I'd like to point out that it's not pronounced "crawfish", it's pronounced "crawdad".
:-)
Hold on, how do you get to crawdad from crayfish? That's a bit of a linguistic leap there.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Welcome to the wonders of the American language! Just like English except with a billion unique regional colloquialisms. That being said, she should have picked one and stuck with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish#Names" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, the narrative touch that I really enjoyed is that she has the slightest lisp that makes her sound extra snake-y, which was fun in light of the fact that she was telling the whole story after being turned.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Paranatural wrote: Ok, the most grating thing was the pronunciation of the word 'cypress'. It's like 'sigh-press'. Before this aired it never occurred to me it could be pronounced any other way. One other thing was at first the narrator said 'crayfish'. This grates on my nerves like nothing else. Damned northerners. Then, the second time, it was 'Crawfish', which is proper and good. I was almost at peace, until, at the end, Norm comes out with 'crayfish' again. Damn you, Norm, Damn you.
Fair point about the pronunciation in the story, but Norm can pronounce it "crayfish" if he likes. That's what the Minnesotans I've met call them (and we do have crayfish up here).

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:11 pm

normsherman wrote: This story probably ties Starry Night with my fav's, but thinking back I have to say I'm impressed with Samantha's range of work we've run on DC-- she does the puzzle piece type story really well (Garkain, L'Wek and Sara, Red Bride) with a really consistent use of inventive and beautiful imagery (Garkain, L'wek and Red Bride.) Not to mention straight up, dark-and-stormy night horror (Route 9). No wonder she's the 2nd most frequented author on our 'cast behind Pratt.
I hadn't realized that she was behind Route 9. I liked that one a lot. I didn't really like Garkain or Red Bride though; puzzle stories can work, but those both felt too scattered to me. So that's now 2-1 against. At least among those I've heard.

Not much to say about Scales, which wasn't bad but didn't really jump up and grab me. I think that the main character drank the one that "will do you no harm," assuming that a snakeman thinks that becoming a snakelady isn't actually all that harmful. In other words, her luck really did hold out.

The twabble in this episode is my absolute favorite though. :)
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.