Drabblecast 198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era

Post by StalinSays » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:56 am

Feature: Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era by Jessica Grant
Drabble: Mixed Martial Hearts by Owen Diamond

Wednesday, February 16, 2011
We discover old scrolls that we wrote to each other in high school, back in the Early Pneumatic Tube Era. That was back when a PT message took five minutes to get across the city.
We shake our heads. Now you can send a living butterfly to Dubai in ten seconds...

Pendragon Variety Podcast
Peter Diamond
Kate Baker
Art by Matt Wasiela
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ventricle

Re: Drabblecast 198 - Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era

Post by ventricle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:18 am

"the only bad guy is transport canada, and he's not even that bad"

wow. this was the most dystopic and the most romantic story i have yet heard here.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 am

I don't usually go for stories so heavily based in metaphor. I fact, I usually detest them. But this one wasn't bad. I will grudging accept this as a fine piece of an art form I don't get.

Dontcha love on the net how self important people feel about their own opinions? Offshoot of WWIC (Why Wasn't I Consulted).
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ventricle

Post by ventricle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am

i like opinions.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Me too, although I enjoy other people's bumper stickers and have none myself. I agree that Calvin pissing on Ford and "Change We Can Hope For" is what you're left with if you forgot to pack your mp3 player with your DC files.

Anyway, my opinion is that Tom was being self-critical of his own opinion. Romantic dystopia... sounds like a newly discovered territory of strangeness. Very well written, but I need to listen again to understand better where the pneumatic tubes come in.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 pm

strawman wrote:Anyway, my opinion is that Tom was being self-critical of his own opinion. Romantic dystopia... sounds like a newly discovered territory of strangeness. Very well written, but I need to listen again to understand better where the pneumatic tubes come in.
Of course I was... the only other person here I'm critical of is ASID. :lol:

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Oh come on, Tom. This here wouldn't really be Drabbletown if it didn't have an old buzzard, rockin' in a rocker on his front porch, with a shotgun in his lap, counting characters, as drabbles pass by. 98 characters, not counting spaces! Blam!

Someone has to mete out the justice.

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 pm

I really liked this story. It gave me a warm feeling inside and made me smile as I walked to work. The style of delivery made it, I think. I think anyone who's really been in love will recognise a lot of the opening 5 minutes. And I think a nod has to be given to the music. It timed itself with the piece perfectly.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

ventricle

Post by ventricle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
strawman wrote:Anyway, my opinion is that Tom was being self-critical of his own opinion. Romantic dystopia... sounds like a newly discovered territory of strangeness. Very well written, but I need to listen again to understand better where the pneumatic tubes come in.
Of course I was... the only other person here I'm critical of is ASID. :lol:

no, no, i got that. i was saying: have opinions! what else do we come to the internet for?

romantic Dystopia is maybe not so new. 1984 has a central romance, and so does We (really heavy, that last romance). Both genres are about extremes.

and after the apocalypse, there will be less competition.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 pm

ventricle wrote: and after the apocalypse, there will be less competition.
Okay, I'm waiting.

Resnick's The Last Dog (DC#102) qualifies too.

Spoiler:

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Lest I forget...

There ought to be a People's Choice Award for Intros. Some of them are better than the stories themselves, and set to music. Like Norm Rap. This episode intro sounds like DC/Ferlinghetti Etude in F#
Or call it DC Salutes Valentine's Day

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:18 pm

This one's way too close to home. Don't waste a second loving your loved ones, everyone.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:28 pm

A couple of the best comments are posted on the show site:
Henry Gaudet
Okay, always a good sign when the laughter starts with the intro. That, sir, is one rank little cherub. Probably needs changing. Someone should really let Hallmark know.

The drabble was great, and somehow disturbingly familiar. You don't see a whole lot in the way of no holds barred cage matches around this house, but all the same, it's safe to say that she's going to win.

Then you had to go and ruin it with the main story. Where's the world weary cynicism? Where's the mocking sneer? All we get is a great little love story, beautifully read by the way. I mean c'mon! How am I supposed to ridicule Valentine's Day when you give me this?!!

My own emotional issues aside, this was another great episode. Thanks!

and

Karen H
Such a lovely story. I loved how so many little things tied back in and were woven throughout, especially all the chess motifs like the pawns/ponds/parents, L shape movement of knights and "gallop like the letter L". I teared up at several parts and then couldn't hold back by the end. Hope to hear more Jessica Grant on the show, I'll have to look into her book for the time being.

Kate Baker's reading was perfect and Norm handled the production with the music and such as brilliantly as ever.

I agree with Henry and Karen. The story is different in kind from what I'm used to in the Drabblecast, but it may be my favorite. I think it qualifies as a piece of art. The coherency of theme; the narrative skill; the orchestration. Unique and original. Like a box of chocolate designed to be eaten by your ears.

This episode would belong right in with this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/arts/ ... television" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spoiler:

Domition

Post by Domition » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 am

"strawman wrote: The drabble was great, and somehow disturbingly familiar. You don't see a whole lot in the way of no holds barred cage matches around this house, but all the same, it's safe to say that she's going to win.[

Thanks, I loved the reading and production for this one. I had never pictured a woman narrator for it though, showing my predjudice for men beating each other. The female reader really adds a whole twist I had never expected: super cool.

I loved the tubes, although the ending left me wanting more.
All the answers lay in her cold, dead fist. No one thought to look there before the burial.

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:45 am

Generally I abhor romantic stories, for the totally mature reason that they make me feel like a loser for my perpetual singlehood. This story was much too clever and lovely to scorn for self-pitying reasons, though. I think because it didn't dwell on the sap, but rather celebrated the tiny intimate details of a relationship that make it the beautiful thing that it is. Rather than descriptions of how their hearts yearn, we get snapshots of their memories of their time together. Very nice.

carter101

Post by carter101 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:12 am

I liked this story and narration so much I registered to say so!

I would have predicted not liking the story if I'd read the outline but the writing and narration totally captivated me. I reached the ending on a cold dark train platform in the early morning and it gave me a warm glow! I thought the smaller details on their relationship added such depth that it made their story so much more real. Again, Kate Baker's narration was perfect in style and delivery.

I did get a bit confused when hearing about her down in a hole waiting for trucks to come past, picturing some sort of freedom fighting/ anti-establishment terrorism but I'll put that down to listening too soon after waking up.

I'm probably going to go back and listen to this one again, something I rarely do.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 am

Talia wrote:... Rather than descriptions of how their hearts yearn, we get snapshots of their memories of their time together. Very nice.
Yes.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:46 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Talia wrote:... Rather than descriptions of how their hearts yearn, we get snapshots of their memories of their time together. Very nice.
Yes.
I second that yes!

Likewise, I appreciated the snapshots into the dystopic setting, without going any further than needed. One of the things that Cormac McCarthy did so well in The Road. The highways are mostly barren, one needs a special permit to travel and a lot of people apparently work underground. It rings of post-apocalypse, but maybe this situation is simply the natural outcome of a society obsessed and eventually reliant on isolated pneumatic tube communication.
Wait, maybe that is post-apocalypse.
Shit, maybe that's not too far from our post-apocalypse. :shock:
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm

carter101 wrote:I liked this story and narration so much I registered to say so!

I did get a bit confused when hearing about her down in a hole waiting for trucks to come past, picturing some sort of freedom fighting/ anti-establishment terrorism but I'll put that down to listening too soon after waking up.
Welcome!

Maybe I misunderstand your confusion, but my take is she is down in the pit where you change oil at jiffy lube. Metaphorically, she's trapped underground, doing her job, and so is he, many miles away. The effort to get from pit to pit is as difficult as pulling up roots and moving to be with your loved one.