Classics 12 (EP 91) - Gifting Bliss

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Josh Rountree

Post by Josh Rountree » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I agree that Norm did a great job with this. The original story is a fake magazine article. Norm added all the songs, commercials, interviewers, etc. to turn it into a TV show.

This is definitely about Nirvana. I set out wanting to write a fantasy version of their story, and I'm enough of a music nut that I ended up holding very closely to the details. Every person, band and album in this story has a real world analog. Gifting Bliss is Nevermind, Scorch is Bleach, etc. And Jason is Cobain. Even the album release dates mentioned line up with their real world counterparts.

Thanks for listening, and thanks again to Norm!

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 am

Hehe, yes, very cool. I picked up on the Nirvana thing as soon as the year of his death was mentioned.

Just loved the format. I don't think I've ever heard fiction done that way before.

All around thumbs up. It almost seemed like it could have really happened. (and it sort of did, minus the whole healing thing, I suppose.. heh)

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:42 am

Maybe that's why I didn't get this story: I don't know a thing about Nirvana. Wikipedia tells me that Cobain killed himself in 1994, when I was 11 years old and thought dc Talk was the greatest band in history. ("I don't care what ya say, I don't care what ya heard, the word love–love!–love is a verb.") I am only aware of Nirvana because of contexts like this when I heard other people talk about it. I honestly wouldn't know a Nirvana song if I heard one.

I suspect the story just went over my head, so I won't judge it.

I love all kinds of music, but I can only think of two bands that I've forged any real identification with: Ballydowse and The Normals. (Both RIP. Andrew Osenga, The Normals' front-man, still records and I still listen eagerly, but there will never be another "Coming to Life.") Neither of them had anything particularly tragic or sordid (or magical) attached to them. They just both strike me as having this amazing quality of honesty that I can't forget about.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:46 am

Dude, you trying to make me feel old?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

DKT

Post by DKT » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:01 pm

cammoblammo wrote:I can just imagine Norm's eyes lighting up when he first read it. He's been wanting to do that for so long. How many of the songs were original? I caught the Sinead O'Connor reference, but I didn't recognise anything else.
When I listened to this in the car this morning, I had the exact same thought. Norm's probably never had so much recording a podcast in his life. :)

I loved the Nirvana tie-in. I remember some of my high school friends holding up signs and candles on street corners in mourning the night Cobain committed suicide. Ah, the 90's. At least Pearl Jam somehow made it...

Kudos to both Josh Rountree and Norm for a FANTASTIC way to start my Friday.

Tweedy, I hereby commission you to write the equivalent of this story featuring DC Talk. You must include their transition from Nu Thang to the more Rock/Rap Jesus Freak and then their disappointing Solo careers. It's a tough assignment, but I have faith you can pull it off. 'Cause you're Heavenbound, man.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 pm

DKT wrote:Tweedy, I hereby commission you to write the equivalent of this story featuring DC Talk. You must include their transition from Nu Thang to the more Rock/Rap Jesus Freak and then their disappointing Solo careers. It's a tough assignment, but I have faith you can pull it off. 'Cause you're Heavenbound, man.
I don't know... They were just two honks and a negro singin their song, after all, just guys who love rap music, always have and always will. They didn't really care if they labeled them Jesus freaks, cause there wasn't no disguising the truth, but, really, Jesus was just alright with them. I guess it did wind up with Toby livin' in extreme days and Kevin standing on a Moorish wall, so it could make for a punchy ending.

(Anybody who recognizes all those references gets a cookie.)
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
(Anybody who recognizes all those references gets a cookie.)
I get them all, but I block cookies by default.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

DKT

Post by DKT » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Cookie COOKIE!!!

Letter D smell like a cookie. Letter C taste like a cookie. No More TALK!!!

nom nom nom.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:22 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:(Anybody who recognizes all those references gets a cookie.)
Wow, I didn't get a single one. :? Can I still have a cookie?
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:Wow, I didn't get a single one. :? Can I still have a cookie?
Yes. Everyone will get cookies. Everyone... :twisted:
Advertise in this space!

deflective

Post by deflective » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:51 am

it's ok, i did it all for the nookie

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
Yes. Everyone will get cookies. Everyone... :twisted:
High five Tweedy! Great inside Drabblecast joke! *sucks up to soon-to-be-leader-of-the-world*
"Give us all some Jelly"

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:19 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Yes. Everyone will get cookies. Everyone... :twisted:
Now that's what I call Gifting Bliss!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

jdfreivald

Post by jdfreivald » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:21 am

I'm a little late at getting to this, but seriously. Best ever. How the hell are you going to top this? Great story, perfect production.

sandrilde

Re:

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm

izzi wrote:Oh My God. I swear to god, this story was so good my arm fell off when i listened to it.

I loved it.

OMG me too! I only have one arm left!

Seriously, this was great and it makes me wish Norm would find more music themed stories so he could do awesome music like this for them. The story was great but the added musical touches took this to a whole different level for me. I WANT this album!!!

sandrilde

Re:

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Maybe that's why I didn't get this story: I don't know a thing about Nirvana. Wikipedia tells me that Cobain killed himself in 1994, when I was 11 years old and thought dc Talk was the greatest band in history. ("I don't care what ya say, I don't care what ya heard, the word love–love!–love is a verb.") I am only aware of Nirvana because of contexts like this when I heard other people talk about it. I honestly wouldn't know a Nirvana song if I heard one.

Mr. Tweedy, this amuses the HELL outta me. DC Talk directly ripped Nirvana in some places, i.e. the opening of Jesus Freak sounds EXACTLY like the opening of a Nirvana song. So maybe you would recognize some of it :) You'd just expect some Christian rock to follow................ hahahaha. Oh lord. Thank God I'm an adult now and no longer exposed to things like that.....

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Classics 12 (EP 91) - Gifting Bliss

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 am

{Marker for start of Classics comments. See Pondspider's suggestion.}