Classics 16 (EP 93) - Blue

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Classics 16 (EP 93) - Blue

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Update (Thursday, February 12th, 2015): Drabbleclassics 16 - Blue
Feature: Blue by Mike Resnick
Drabble: Ancient Apple Tree by Shane Shennen
Genres: Drabbleclassics Drama Sci-Fi
Original Episode: 93
Warning: Really Sad

Thursday, December 11th, 2008
I had a dog, his name was Blue
Betchya five dollars he's a good one too.
Come on Blue!
I'm a-comin' too.

Episode Art: Richard K. Green
Heaven's Bones by Samantha Henderson
Originally published in Hunting Dog magazine, 1979.

No twabble for this episode.
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: It's now a classic!

guitardel

Post by guitardel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:07 am

Fantastic job with the integration of the song and the story. I love that old song, which gives you some idea how old I am. I'm a sucker for a dog story, except they always die.[/img]

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:47 am

This was as good as it gets for me. Dogs rule, no question about it. As the owner of two awesome large dogs who are shelter graduates, it really struck a chord with me. The story telling and production were just perfect. How cool is it to have a great story like this after last week's freaking cool horrific bloodbath?

On a side note, I worked at a animal shelter during the summer when I was in college and it was heart breaking to see dogs come in that were abused and neglected by the very people that they lived for and protected. It was cool to see them recover after some care and attention, and especially cool to see them leave with a new family. But some weren't as lucky as my cool dogs or Blue. People who are mean to dogs suck.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:22 am

Well Norm, you succeeded in hitting the melancholy vibe alright. The drabble was good, and 'Blue' made me want to go out and play with my dog for a while. Unfortunately our weather has been rather gloomy lately too, and good dog-playing weather just isn't happening.

I'll be keeping this one, and I'll have a listen whenever I notice myself neglecting my dog-playing duties.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

RicV

Post by RicV » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Ancient apple tree rocked. The more human than human robots tending the orchards and mourne the passing of one of their forefathers. Very kewl, I am still podering if the apple tree is a biblical reference but I am leaning toward coidcidental.

Blue was good, but pretty meh for me. A good dog story, and those that love good dog stories will jst love it. But for me it was undrabbly. The whole etheric after death fantasy missed its mark and I just notched it up as a sad story. Old yeller turned bad ass. Oh well.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:09 am

Yes, it was undrabbly. Unless you don't miss the fact that the narrator is an oldtimer flea on Blue's ear. In drabbleland, POV is everything.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

RicV

Post by RicV » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 pm

strawman wrote:Yes, it was undrabbly. Unless you don't miss the fact that the narrator is an oldtimer flea on Blue's ear. In drabbleland, POV is everything.
Agreed if he was a flea that would be interesting, but it wasn't written in an odd POV. After all fleas dont have guns, shacks etc. Like I said wasn't bad. A bit undrabbly, and pretty straight forward. Not bad. Now if blue had turned into one of the drabble's horror creatures then we would have had something. Had blue been infected with an alien virus giving him the power to poop gold, that would have been drabbly and downright nasty when the narrator would have to put him down for a 24karat bowel blockage.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Maybe it wasn't rabies. Maybe the possum was a zombie?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

DKT

Post by DKT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:24 pm

I enjoyed listening to this one quite a bit. I thought the visual of them being together at the great big fire in the end was great. Norm did a great job with the song, too.

That said, did I hear it correctly that Resnick sold this to SF markets? Or just a bunch of markets?

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:05 pm

Very well done. One of Norm's best readings. Great story too, actually made me tear up, despite the fact that it felt like it was totally trying to make me tear up.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 am

I think he meant he sold his other dog story, "The Last Dog' to sf markets, this one just to other markets. It'd be hard to even pass this one off as fantasy I think
"Give us all some Jelly"

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 93- Blue by Mike Resnick

Post by Unblinking » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:38 pm

For me, there seem to be two kinds of Resnick stories:
1. Those that tug my heartstring and make me want to blubber.
2. Those that tug my heartstrings, but I can too clearly see the puppeteer. I know when I'm supposed to be blubbering, but I'm too conscious of the man behind the curtain.

For me this was one of the latter. I love dogs, have 3 of my own, and am prone to be very affected by dog sentimentality. But I spent more of the time noting where I was supposed to be emotional, then I did actually being emotional.

swamp

Post by swamp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 pm

You should try out the tongue-in-cheek, sexy space opera Mike Resnick story "Catastrophe Baker and the Canticle for Liebewitz" over at the Dunesteef. It is a different side of Resnick.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:40 pm

swamp wrote:You should try out the tongue-in-cheek, sexy space opera Mike Resnick story "Catastrophe Baker and the Canticle for Liebewitz" over at the Dunesteef. It is a different side of Resnick.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been meaning to check out the Dunesteef. I keep catching up on podcast's backlogs and then I need a new podcast to start with.

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 093 - Blue

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Perfect for a dog-lovers market, but I kept expecting an .... AND THEN something wild .... you know traditional dog story then zombies appear? But it was just .... What it was. We love our dogs. We're sad when we lose them. It's a universal truth.

Desmond Warzel

Post by Desmond Warzel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:27 pm

You might want to break that second link; I don't think yonderman.com is Shane Shennen's home page anymore. Or maybe it is; I'm not judging. NSFW, incidentally.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:51 am

Desmond Warzel wrote:You might want to break that second link...
Thanks! Fixed the entries in all 3 places.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Classics 16 (EP 93) - Blue

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:51 am

{Marker for start of Classics comments. See Pondspider's suggestion.}

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:50 am

Desmond Warzel wrote:...I don't think yonderman.com is Shane Shennen's home page anymore...
It was, once upon a time. 18 of his podcasts (but apparently nothing else) are still archived on the Wayback machine.

bounceswoosh

Re: Classics 16 (EP 93) - Blue

Post by bounceswoosh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Oh, man, I wanted a tear warning for this one. Great story and production.